Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#254596 - 12/13/12 03:30 AM Flexible Neck Turbo Gas Lighter
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Anyone else use one of these. Came across a German made brand in the discount supermarket Lidl's today in the UK. Cost was I think £1.99 or around $3.00 and also included a 100ml Gas Refill (a Propane/butane mix, which can be used for other lighter makes, instead of just the normal butane refill) so good value

Construction was quite sturdy and the Piezo ignited Turbo flame was also quite windproof. Not too heavy but obviously bulkier than a disposable lighter.

Art.-Nr. 52448 from www.cfh-gmbh.de

I might just stick with one of these for bushcraft fire lighting duty than the other awkward feeble lighters around. I will probable just put one in the same pouch for the Bacho Lapland pruning saw.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/13/12 03:32 AM)

#254598 - 12/13/12 05:33 AM Re: Flexible Neck Turbo Gas Lighter [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
lordnoble Offline

Loc: Upstate NY, USA
I have something similar, but it's does not have a torch-type flame but rather a soft flame.

It's the BERNZOMATIC BZLTR300R Premium Flexible Lighter. I found it at Lowes for under $15 on sale, if memory serves. It works well for most things, but it lacks wind-proofing like the one you've posted does.

That said, I mainly use it to light the grill so it works for it's intended use.

-Jason

#254603 - 12/13/12 01:27 PM Re: Flexible Neck Turbo Gas Lighter [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
We find lighters similar to these at Target and Costco -- the ones labelled "Windproof" use a jet of flame and indeed work well to light fires outdoors. I have one in my camping kit.

#254606 - 12/13/12 04:34 PM Re: Flexible Neck Turbo Gas Lighter [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I have that bernzomatic one also, it's great. I also use it mostly for lighting my camp stove. It has a built-in LED light, not really sure that's necessary.

#254643 - 12/14/12 01:18 PM Re: Flexible Neck Turbo Gas Lighter [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
NAro Offline
Addict

I'm concerned about the reliability of piezo ignition in dirty or wet conditions. Relative to flint, piezo is significantly less robust under bad conditions. I'm also not that sure that propane/butane blends actually work well in other lighters intended for pure butane. Does anyone know if the filler valve on the blend can will even mate properly with a butane lighter?

#254657 - 12/14/12 04:23 PM Re: Flexible Neck Turbo Gas Lighter [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I usually have one or more of those kicking around. I use them for lighting the BBQ mostly (the piezoelectric starter hasn't worked for years). My biggest gripe with these is that I have found them to be largely unreliable - could be a manufacturer specific thing I guess, but I've got a generally low opinion of refillable butane lighters.

I can definitely see these being better at fire-lighting than a traditional lighter though. It would be way easier to get the flame where you need it but, as you said, the bulk would put me off including it in my backpacking gear (I'm pretty sure I have one in my kitchen stuff for car camping though). That said, I personally hate using lighters; I'll use a firesteel or match over a lighter every time I'm given the choice.

#254670 - 12/15/12 08:15 AM Re: Flexible Neck Turbo Gas Lighter [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i had that same problem with the refillable lighters until i got a brand of refill butane that had a metal rather than a plastic nozzle.it was a bit spendy at a kitchen gizmo store and made to fill the mini torches that are used to brown the top of some sort of custard.
i bought a Colibri CX windproof lighter at a shop that was changing to gifts and cards from smoking gear,i got it half price,
anyway when it ran out i tried the cheaper refills with bad luck.
i was really put off that what was a high end outdoor lighter that was going into my canoeing gear turned out to be so-so.
the metal nozzle brand worked..i just tried it out a minute ago after it sat unused since the summer.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (12/15/12 08:16 AM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 554 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.