Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#254212 - 12/02/12 10:53 PM Re: Are doomsday preppers just wasting money on gear? [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I worry about the price of base metals getting prohibitively expensive so I bought lots of brass, lead and copper in various sizes and configurations. That's not hoarding, it's investing. wink Definitely not wasting money.

...and steel, lots of steel ...

mine came dressed in Ironwood and leather

#254214 - 12/02/12 11:19 PM Re: Are doomsday preppers just wasting money on gear? [Re: Russ]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Oh, the kit is for a single-shot 12 ga. shotgun. That changes the desirability of such a kit, even if it works, considerably.

I guess this kit is for the sort of survival situation where the local gun stores are all closed (Lord, no!), Midway and Brownell no longer deliver the toys to you every week, and you have to rely on found ammunition to hunt as you roam from gas station to gas station, looking for what little is left in the reservoir.

No, I don't think I'll get it.

As for the question in the thread title, to me emergency is like preparation: you have x% change of y happening, so you do z to make things easier for yourself if y happens. There is a cost to this (your insurance premium). Based on your financial situation, you have to decide where the cut-off point is. Do I prepare for stuff that has a 0.1% chance of happening? How about 0.001%? How much am I willing to pay for insurance? Some models insure their body parts, and they may have a legitimate financial reason to do so.

I think what gets weird is when preparation becomes "a way of life" rather than an insurance policy. It is no longer a rational strategy for helping to continue your normal way of life in the event of disasters. That's when preppers could become millenarians.

Some of the people featured on the show may be trying to make a living from it. One of them is apparently selling products already. Well, that means he's becoming a professional. I guess he can do that for himself, but I hope that his customers can find rational uses in the tools.

For me, preparing is partly for insurance, but it's partly a hobby, too. I like gear. I like acquiring skills. The last thing I did was acquiring the Red Cross certificate for "professional rescuers." (I'm putting this in quotes because it wasn't that hard.) I'd prep for the end of the world just for fun, but I don't have the budget for it. In the mean time, life goes on, I work, I eat, I work out...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 492 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.