The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#253897 - 11/27/12 02:52 PM Some People Never Learn
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I normally do not judge the actions or reasons that someone took that resulted in us having to rescue them confused. I know the risks and accept them without hesitation, but in this case the follow-up story has me slightly miffed today eek.

FNP Story - No Regrets

Some people never learn, including me crazy, because I would be right back there getting their sorry butts out of the river if the need arose.

Pete

#253899 - 11/27/12 03:12 PM Re: Some People Never Learn [Re: paramedicpete]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Darwin was foiled this time, thanks to the rescuers. The wife should take out a big life insurance policy on her husband and think twice next time about calling 911.

"He had no remorse for putting anyone else in danger and did not comprehend that he was lucky to be alive," according to the report.

Kingsbury asked a trooper to go back to the river to look for the cooler, which held his cellphone.

The trooper "informed him that due to the raging waters and the danger they pose to anyone that ventures near them, no attempt would be made to locate his cooler.
"

#253900 - 11/27/12 03:13 PM Re: Some People Never Learn [Re: paramedicpete]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Maybe someone needs to nominate these two for a Darwin Award in advance, then explain in small words what the Darwin Award is for. If that doesn't wake them up, then take away the Wife's cell phone so she Can't call the police next time.
Just my opinion.

#253901 - 11/27/12 04:22 PM Re: Some People Never Learn [Re: JPickett]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Quite often statements about rescuers "risking their own lives" are exaggerated and a bit hyperbolic, but that is not the case with swift water rescue, which can turn deadly very quickly. This is especially the case with strainers, the situation in which these gentlemen found themselves. These guys are blissfully ignorant, and evidently unteachable.

Are swift water situations deadly? When I was actively doing SAR, drowning, usually in flash floods, was the second leading cause of death, only behind "falling from height". This was in the Sonoran Desert, centered around Tucson, Arizona. We had seven fatalities in one flood on one Sunday afternoon.

#253902 - 11/27/12 04:28 PM Re: Some People Never Learn [Re: paramedicpete]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Has anyone actually explained to these middle aged crisis Walmart shopping Bear Grylls inspired adventurers that Cliff Jumping is actually more exciting than White Water Rafting laugh

Quote:
Some people never learn, including me , because I would be right back there getting their sorry butts out of the river if the need arose.

Perhaps you might be allowed to club them over the head, get them stuffed and mounted over the fireplace next time after reeling them in. wink

#253904 - 11/27/12 05:24 PM Re: Some People Never Learn [Re: paramedicpete]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I deleted my post,you know how I feel about it.

#253936 - 11/28/12 07:39 AM Re: Some People Never Learn [Re: paramedicpete]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Pete, your frustration is perfectly understandable. The actions of these individuals are appalling and clearly dangerous to themselves and others.

But let me say that I respect and applaud your willingness to go out and help them again, regardless of whether they seem deserving. This speaks eloquently of your professionalism and personal dedication. Bravo.

#253941 - 11/28/12 10:41 AM Re: Some People Never Learn [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Pete, your frustration is perfectly understandable. The actions of these individuals are appalling and clearly dangerous to themselves and others.

But let me say that I respect and applaud your willingness to go out and help them again, regardless of whether they seem deserving. This speaks eloquently of your professionalism and personal dedication. Bravo.

I can't say it any better. I really admire you guys, Pete. If ever there was an example of heroes, you're it!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#253966 - 11/28/12 07:12 PM Re: Some People Never Learn [Re: dougwalkabout]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

Big Ditto!!!

#253969 - 11/28/12 07:43 PM Re: Some People Never Learn [Re: paramedicpete]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
An updated story from today's paper:

FNP Story - No Legal or Financial Charges

Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
05/08/24 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.