Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#254034 - 11/29/12 07:05 PM Re: critiques of current market vehicle kits? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
But there must be some good ones out there somewhere.

Perhaps even more important than a good Emergency kit is knowing what is required to get out of trouble with the vehicle.

Today I spent almost 2 hrs trying to replace a main beam headlight bulb on a buddies Citroen C4 (C4 being an appropriate name for whats required to blow the damned thing up with). We were eventually able to replace the bulb with the aid of a dental mirror from a Dental kit, a Fenix CR123 flashlight and some needle nosed pliers! There was lots and lots of swearing at the French, for such a stupid headlamp access design.

I advised my buddy to swap out the other bulb as sure as night follows day the other will fail at the most inappropriate time. i.e. an emergency situation.

Having looked around some of the autoparts stores today, Whilst getting a bulb for the C4 (my buddy didn't a have set in his vehicle) all the emergency car kits were absolute junk.
Driving with a rubbish emergency kit could prove to be a pointless task if most folks don't know how fill up the wind screen washer bottle, top up their cooling water or where to add the antifreeze or engine oil, check their dip stick or know how to put on some snow chains, swap out a fuse (if they can find the fuse box) or change a light bulb eek and perform some basic preventative maintenance such as putting the correct air pressure in the tires.

Yes there people around who think that their cell phone will suffice. crazy

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/29/12 08:41 PM)

#254037 - 11/29/12 09:33 PM Re: critiques of current market vehicle kits? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
But there must be some good ones out there somewhere.

Perhaps even more important than a good Emergency kit is knowing what is required to get out of trouble with the vehicle.

My comment was mostly (foolishly?) hopeful. I'm sure the kits that go out with commercial vehicles into out-of-the-way places are considerably better, since this falls under legally enforced health-and-safety requirements. You won't buy them for $25.

I agree that, from a basic repair point of view, a much more specific kit is preferable -- tailored to the vehicle and the knowledge level of the person using it.

Consider, though: on at least half of the occasions where I have used my car kit, it has been to help someone else. Items actually used: booster/jumper cables, tow rope, siphon, gas can, gas-line antifreeze, shovel, traction aid, tape, clothing/gloves, basic hand tools, and communications.

Car kits should be able to cover this basic list. The abject failure lies in filling that list with disposable trash that will surely fail the second you really need it.

#254047 - 11/30/12 02:36 AM Re: critiques of current market vehicle kits? [Re: yeti]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
For tools, I keep 2 "fat 50" and one bigger ammo can in the Jeep with everything from sockets and wrenches up to a U-joint press and wheel bearing grease, extra u-joints and even a spare rear driveshaft.

For everything else, I just throw my existing SHTF bag in the back seat and buckle it in.

#254408 - 12/07/12 10:25 PM Re: critiques of current market vehicle kits? [Re: yeti]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
The kits I see in Costco always include some manual tools like pliers and sockets. I always chuckle because as if average drivers know what to do with them if they break down.

#254409 - 12/07/12 10:31 PM Re: critiques of current market vehicle kits? [Re: yeti]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Your office cowokers learn when someone does though and come to you for tools. Any time we needed to rearrange something I would pull out the tools.
My air compressor was used to inflate the balls the developers would toss at each other so one guy pretended to let the air out of my tires one day while we were sitting in the break room eating lunch.
So afterward I walked over to his desk spinning my ratchet, sat a big bolt on his desk and walked away. then we watched him look over his car trying to figure out where it came from.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 520 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.