Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#203798 - 06/22/10 05:35 PM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: Hookpunch]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

To the best of my limited knowledge the combo whistle/light is much akin to dragons and unicorns. Myth. There may be some junky, cheap ones out there but none of any quality.

#203841 - 06/23/10 06:42 PM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: BillLiptak]
GoatMan Offline

Good luck finding a quality combo.

May I suggest the following (I use both):
Pico LED
REI whistle

Modify the whistle. Measure the depth of the inside of the whistle with a tooth pick. Then give yourself a ~1/4 inch beyond that and cut off the back of the whistle. File the end smooth and rounded (I taped the main shaft to protect mine and put it in a drill, then spun it up while filing/sanding the end smooth as new). File a flat edge on both sides of the back and drill a small hole for a 1/4 in split ring on the back. It makes it more compact and carries much better on a key ring. You can also replace the bulky clip on the Pico light with a small split ring.

I hate carring lots of stuff. Especially keys, which I always have with me in my pocket. But this allows for a comfortable carry.

#204050 - 06/28/10 08:26 PM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: GoatMan]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Has anyone tried Benchmade's Houdini key-chain tool?

It has the whistle & light, but also the car extraction tools (seat belt cutter / window breaker). I was looking at these online a while ago for my wife, but ended up getting her a ResQMe and a Fenix E01 instead.

#204077 - 06/29/10 03:54 PM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: Denis]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Denis
Has anyone tried Benchmade's Houdini key-chain tool?

It has the whistle & light, but also the car extraction tools (seat belt cutter / window breaker). I was looking at these online a while ago for my wife, but ended up getting her a ResQMe and a Fenix E01 instead.

Is your wife going to carry around two spare LITHIUM CR1216 batteries? If not, I'd pass on this product. The battery WILL go bad.

With the Fenix E01, your wife can easily carry around one (or two) extra AAA batteries. Also, she's more likely to find AAA at a gas station or any other store.

Also, that multi-function of that tool for $20 makes me doubt that all the features work well. A window breaker, a seat belt cutter, a flashlight, and a whistle, you get all those things for just $20. Don't expect quality.

When you need those features, you REALLY need them. I'd much rather have a separate knife, separate flashlight and separate whistle that I know for certain just work. I can connect the separate items with a key ring if desired. I can keep them apart if desired. I can replace each separate item as desired.

#253761 - 11/24/12 12:08 AM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: MedB]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Old thread wake up...

We often talk about products we like, but not so much about products we hate. Avoid this whistle at all costs.
http://www.gadgettown.com/Aluminum-Whistle-Keychain-Silver.html

It's one of those tubular aluminum whistles. It's not even worth it if you get it for a buck. I just got it in the mail. It's a cute party favor, but not a survival item. It's not loud at all. This is a whistle to give to someone when you intentionally don't want their whistle to be loud (e.g., you just want them to be able to get your attention indoors). If you have this whistle and think it's loud, then you must not have any experience with truly loud whistles. I own a cheap plastic pea whistle that's much louder than this piece of junk, and I'm not even talking about my best whistles.

I've been looking for something smaller than a Fox 40 Sonik Blast, but this whistle is larger than I visualized in my mind. I will not be using this whistle as a survival item, not even as a cheap backup.

#253766 - 11/24/12 03:06 AM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: MedB]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
after trying a couple of the "pea less" whistles (one of which I lost due to a weak attachment ring), I perceive a louder sound out of a plain old brass referee whistle... I'm sure it has something to do with old age, and loss of hearing in the 4000 Hz range...but nevertheless, chose one along with a Fenix E01 and a lithium AAA cell...it does make a "clinking" sound when it rattles against keys, but its durability more than makes up for it...YMMV... top of picture

#253780 - 11/24/12 06:52 AM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: MedB]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
After a similar weak attachment ring resulted in the loss of my "fauxton" light I also replaced it with a purple Fenix 01 with a lithium cell. Very nice little light. Two modes, on and off! Perfect for me.

#253784 - 11/24/12 02:05 PM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: MedB]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Harbour Freight has a tubular aluminum whistle that is like $1 on sale and attaches nicely to a keychain. I got one for my wife a couple years ago. It is still doing fine.

I see something similar on eBay for under $1 shipped on a regular basis.

Bob

#253794 - 11/24/12 08:37 PM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: ILBob]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ILBob
Harbour Freight has a tubular aluminum whistle that is like $1 on sale and attaches nicely to a keychain. I got one for my wife a couple years ago. It is still doing fine.

I see something similar on eBay for under $1 shipped on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the whistle I hate, as I mentioned above.

#253818 - 11/25/12 10:28 PM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: ireckon]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
I was given one of these years ago. I've even used it in hill country during the winter. I would not say it is the best whistle I own, but it did the job when needed twice. I happened to have it readily available at each of those instances. So, I'd agree it isn't the best, but what other $3 whistle would you say was better?

BTW, the reason I had it available was that it was the backup whistle, on my belt as it fits in a swiss army knife sheath WITH the swiss army knife and I left my bigger kits out of reach. This whistle does have *some* application given that I can stick it almost anywhere with a little give. Again, I wouldn't put it up against the decibel levels of a larger-sized whistle. If that's my main criterion, then I go for the storm whistle (http://www.stormwhistles.com/).

Edited by yeti (11/25/12 10:36 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.