The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#253176 - 11/11/12 05:08 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
How dare you say that?! Coy passive-agressive cowards are now offended the world over! cry

#253180 - 11/11/12 06:16 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: MartinFocazio]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The term "certain demographics groups" is code for "people who are unfamiliar to me." Then, you do the math. For example, if you have no white friends, then most of the rioters tend to be white in your view of the world. If you have no black friends, then most the rioters tend to be black in your view of the world. If you have zero friends on the other side of town, then most the rioters tend to be on the other side of town... and so on.

Before a moderator comes in and starts barking about how this is off topic, I'll say it's definitely not. In a survival situation, it's important to have an honest view of yourself so that you can better distinguish truth from misconceptions. When you're out there stranded, you may have to depend on people who are unfamiliar to you. If you come into a situation with misconceptions, you may act in a way that's detrimental to your own survival.

#253182 - 11/11/12 06:56 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: Bingley]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
He didn't say anything, not to me anyway. Certainly I wasn't helped in my quest to learn which demographic groups to watch out for. Also, I find this coyness passive-aggressive and just generally cowardly. If you believe in something, say it -- with civility and respect, of course.

He failed to specify a particular group out of respect for the forum rules. At least for the U.S., eliminating sports/band riots should narrow the list down considerably.

#253187 - 11/11/12 09:06 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: Bingley]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
"Demographic groups"

Without a doubt the best rioters in the world have to be the South Koreans, now they know how to organise a Riot.. laugh

#253224 - 11/12/12 06:42 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: haertig]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: haertig
How dare you say that?! Coy passive-agressive cowards are now offended the world over! cry
You know,I was just thinking you must have served in the military,Am I right?

I'll edit out the rest,being a coward and all.

#253306 - 11/13/12 09:09 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: spuds]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: spuds

Actually, I was not in the military. Something I wish I had done, but alas, did not. I was an Army Brat though - my dad retired as a colonel.

#253342 - 11/14/12 01:33 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: haertig]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: spuds

I was an Army Brat though - my dad retired as a colonel.
It shows,in a most refreshing manner in todays PC world.Again,thank you for stating the obvious.

I too have no problem ascertaining where the danger areas are.Its where the lowlife live.

Color of skin plays little bearing unless that lowlife area is defined by race and gangland protocol means you better be the right color,flying the right colors or you are dead.

Scum is scum,period.

#253362 - 11/14/12 05:51 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: MartinFocazio]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Most riots that are not event related have tended to be in certain parts of major urban areas in the USA. There just have not been serious riots in rural and suburban areas.

Your risk of exposure to riots is pretty low if you live a few miles away from those parts of urban areas that are most likely to have riots.

If you live in an urban area, you need to look at how close you are to areas that might have riots. Well to do and middle class areas of urban areas don't typically have riots, at least in residential areas.

Riots are uncommon during inclement or cold weather as well.

It is hard to be PC and still be specific about what the true risk factors are but I think most of us are clued in well enough to understand what they are without them being spelled out.

One thing to keep in mind is how the city authorities will handle a riot may well affect you too. Most cities in the past have adopted the tactic of letting the riot go on as long as the riot is in places the city just does not care much about in the first place. as long as urban renewal is in progress, they probably won't take any aggressive steps to quell the disturbances.

If the riot threatens to spread, they will try to direct it away from areas they consider important, or at least try to contain it. Look at your city map and see what features might be used. If there are rivers flowing through your city, it is relatively easy to close a bridge and keep a riot from spreading across the river. If you are not on the riot side of the river, that is good for you. If you are on the riot side of the river, it may funnel the riot your direction.

Bob

#253444 - 11/16/12 11:18 AM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: MartinFocazio]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Seems to be a lot going on in Portugal,Spain and Greece.Practically a media blackout here,if you dont go online they arent showing much.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...eep-Europe.html

#253448 - 11/16/12 02:18 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: spuds]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
That is ugly!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, dougwalkabout), 542 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
22 minutes 40 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.