Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#253006 - 11/07/12 03:26 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: MartinFocazio]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
I feel compelled to point out that here we are well into a really, really bad situation with the destruction of core infrastructure, urban power failures, tens of thousands of people unable to go home, gas shortages...and based on the chitter-chatter I've read n the past (here and elsewhere) - we should be well into zombie apocalypse territory by now. It's not happening that way. People are helping. the vast majority of people are banding together and helping solve the problems as best they can. There are no roving bands of armed mercenaries. There are no riots. There are some fights over gas - yes, I see that too. And order is being maintained.

I prefer to plan for reality, not a Mad Max fantasy.

While I didn't pontificate any doom here or elsewhere, I think this thread needs a counter-point. :-)

First, I'm unsurprised that things were orderly and that I think that serious social disorder is not a likely outcome of a natural disaster all things being equal. But I'm not sure why you seem to suggest we can draw a sweeping generalization based on this latest event.

Clearly riots / serious social disorder does occur. The LA riots showed us this can happen, even in modern America. If something can happen, it likely will happen again at some point. Perhaps not commonly, but the same can be said up here in the for a large earthquake, tornado, for your house burning down, your car getting stuck in a snowstorm, a chemical spill, your car crashing, whatever.

Personally, I think in a short term natural disaster, people are likely to work together for the most part. I don't see a large correlation between natural disasters and social unrest.

That said, social unrest is just another infrequent, but possible risk and I'm not sure why we'd hold it up and suggest it is less worth being prepared for than a chemical spill or some other infrequent risk and why you think people who might consider it in their preparations have jumped the shark more than for preparing for some other low risk event.

*shrug*

-john

Edited by JohnN (11/07/12 06:47 PM)

#253025 - 11/07/12 11:51 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Alright, we have an election-related riot, so it does happen:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/07/ole-miss-students-protest-obamas-re-election/

#253032 - 11/08/12 02:22 AM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: Bingley]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Bingley

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/07/ole-miss-students-protest-obamas-re-election/

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/election-protest-ole-miss-escalates-arrested-17666000
Quote:
A protest at the University of Mississippi against the re-election of <the President> grew into crowd of about 400 people with shouted racial slurs as rumors of a riot spread on social media. Two people were arrested on minor charges.

-----------------------snip------------------------------

Police were initially alerted to Tuesday's uproar by people who saw Twitter posts about it. The students were told to leave, but about 100 came back later. One person was charged with public intoxication and another with failure to comply with police orders. There were no reports of injuries or property damage.

#253033 - 11/08/12 03:05 AM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: AKSAR]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'm not sure what AKSAR means for us to gather from the bolded portion. He can't be suggesting that we don't have to worry about riots because property damage doesn't always occur. Anyway, thanks for the additional information. It's reassuring, but not entirely. It seems to me a good idea to avoid "400 people with shouted racial slurs" (whatever that means). Such a situation could quickly turn ugly, I'd think.

So perhaps it's a good idea to take the possibility of election-related riots more seriously. I didn't think it at all a possibility for my location, but now I see that in some places, riots are more probable than others. Maybe this is something we need to think about.

Edited by Bingley (11/08/12 03:06 AM)

#253039 - 11/08/12 09:04 AM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: Bingley]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California

You're joking, right? I like how the media put in the word "riot" to sell a story. However, any gathering where you can calmly drive through with a camera and give commentary is NOT a riot. I think at many colleges you could call that "Friday night before the game."

#253040 - 11/08/12 09:43 AM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: MartinFocazio]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Situational awareness,a good thing.

#253043 - 11/08/12 10:45 AM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: Bingley]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country

A group of folks in a parking lot doesn't constitute a riot. Look at any tailgate party.

#253044 - 11/08/12 12:39 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I agree that it is a good idea to avoid groups of people making racial slurs. I was raised in Mississippi as a young lad. I left the state when I was ten and never looked back.

Do we rate riots like we do tropical storms? If so, this would be a tropical depression - probably a very appropriate term for this incident. The disturbance following the SF Giant's four game sweep (fires, property destruction) would be a tropical storm. Hurricane designation requires overturning and burning of vehicles.....

It would be wise to avoid any of these, whatever their cause

#253052 - 11/08/12 04:49 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: MartinFocazio]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
OP has a good title, but muddles the thesis by conflating disaster related rioting with political rioting. There were predictions of post election rioting on this forum and in the news, as there were predictions that the electoral college results would be close. Neither event came to pass. But talking about close elections and riots promote media viewership. and close election worries encourage voters to turn out and vote. It appears that the media and politicos say what is in their best interest, rather than adhere to a slavish devotion to truth.

I am shocked. Shocked I tell you...

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and remember that the media are involved in entertainment, not education, which blurs the distinction between the six o'clock news and roadrunner cartoons.

#253053 - 11/08/12 05:02 PM Re: Where's your riots folks? [Re: MartinFocazio]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I think Am Fear and Nighthiker did a good job of explaining the base dynamic behind a riot.

With a natural disaster, organized or (more likely) opportunistic looting is what you are going to get. The only time I've witnessed looting in the US first hand was during an ice storm. Some areas were without power for over a month. We were lucky and only lost power for 4 days. We saw a few cars cruising areas without power looking for easy pickings. It didn't take much effort on our part to appear to present more of a challenge than they were willing to deal with.

From 1500 miles away it's hard to know what the situation on the ground really is in the areas affected by Sandy. I pray that for the most part, people are banding together and taking care of each other. They still have a rough bit in front of them.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 527 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.