Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#252564 - 10/31/12 10:55 PM Re: Whats going on! [Re: Meadowlark]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
I think the main reason no one knows how to sew a button is that they don't NEED to, generally speaking. Mass-produced clothing isn't the same quality it used to be; it's cheaply made, rarely has buttons (when was the last time you saw someone under 40 wearing a buttoned shirt or dress?) and by the time someone loses a button, the item of clothing is already falling apart and so a replacement is purchased.

Back to my previous Brave New World reference, I don't think it's as much that the clothes now can't be repaired but that we, as a society, have developed the attitude that we shouldn't bother mending things when we can just buy a new, inexpensive replacement items.

I've lost buttons and had tears develop in the seams of several inexpensive pieces of clothing, something I've attributed to the lower standard of quality you refer to. However, by fixing the item, rather than simply throwing it away, I've prolonged the usefulness of the items. These will likely never be items that last a lifetime ... but they will last much longer than their first failure.

This is something I've been challenged with for other things too. How often to I replace or throw out items that only require minor repairs or a little elbow-grease to remain useful?

For example, my kid's rabbit ate through his laptop charger's power cord so my first reaction was to buy a new one. They were pretty pricey so I made him wait while I shopped around and he ended up not being able to use his laptop for quite a while as I vacillated on what the best option was. In the end, after fixing something else with a similar problem, I just fixed the cord and he was back up and running. But why wasn't my first reaction to fix it? Why was I so eager to spend money on a replacement with out even considering repair as an option?

#252565 - 10/31/12 11:06 PM Re: Whats going on! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I edited too late. Missed the "so I wouldn't have to" part. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#252567 - 10/31/12 11:25 PM Re: Whats going on! [Re: bacpacjac]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Are any of these sewing skills taught at School any more. I remember using a sewing machine at school to make a Kitchen Apron before everyone ventured into the home economics class. smile

They don't seem to be, as all we have now in the UK is the dumbed down pretense of an 'academic' basis for a universal Government regulated curriculum education for everyone.

Quote:
Back to my previous Brave New World reference

This novel probably isn't on anyone's English literature reading list anymore just as with the 'Lord of the Flies'. frown

Which future beckons I wonder!

#252613 - 11/01/12 04:06 PM Re: Whats going on! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
In a funny bit of timing, I lost a button on an otherwise fine shirt last night and had to fix it smile

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Are any of these sewing skills taught at School any more. I remember using a sewing machine at school to make a Kitchen Apron before everyone ventured into the home economics class. smile

I remember making a pair of shorts (or maybe they were supposed to be pants?) that didn't fit well at all smile. My skills certainly haven't improved since; I can do rudimentary repair work by hand but that's about it.

I know my son's school still has a home economics class, I recall him talking about some of the cooking classes. I am pretty sure there was (or will be) a sewing component too, but I'll have to double check that.

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
This novel probably isn't on anyone's English literature reading list anymore just as with the 'Lord of the Flies'. frown

You may be right, but to be fair that wasn't the setting I read a Brave New World in (or most of the good/important books I've read in my life, for that matter).

#252626 - 11/01/12 06:16 PM Re: Whats going on! [Re: Denis]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I know my son's school still has a home economics class

Just checked my old schools published online newsletter to see if they are still teaching these home economic skills. Apparently they still are, which was a pleasant surprise. smile

Apparently they even had a School team which won a Design Engineering Elegance award for an Remote Operated Vehicle competition open to schools and Universities from around the world held by NASA at their Neutral Buoyancy Lab in Houston Texas.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 532 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.