Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#251391 - 10/03/12 10:35 AM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: MartinFocazio]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
All it takes is the temporary, local failure of one small part of the system your survival happens to depend on to ruin your day. This is not a doomsday scenario, except perhaps for you. That is what this community ponders.

#251545 - 10/08/12 02:56 PM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: nursemike]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: nursemike
See Michael Crichton's novels-Jurassic Park, Next, State of Fear for illustration by a smart guy of chaos theory applied to practical science, and power structure interests in maintaining a frightened electorate.

Chrichton is entertainment media, not science and facts. In fact, it's often the opposite of science. I enjoy his fictions as much as the next guy.

But evidence...evidence is all that matters, and I look to every instance in the last 50 years where we had riots, blackouts, natural disasters, man-made disasters - and the top gets whacked, but it spins back up.

#251549 - 10/08/12 05:52 PM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: MartinFocazio]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
See Michael Crichton's novels-Jurassic Park, Next, State of Fear for illustration by a smart guy of chaos theory applied to practical science, and power structure interests in maintaining a frightened electorate.

Chrichton is entertainment media, not science and facts. In fact, it's often the opposite of science. I enjoy his fictions as much as the next guy.

But evidence...evidence is all that matters, and I look to every instance in the last 50 years where we had riots, blackouts, natural disasters, man-made disasters - and the top gets whacked, but it spins back up.

Crichton's fiction is often heavily researched and factually foot-noted, and his science credentials-Harvard MD-are not shoddy. And, he agrees with your position, as do I. Our society in particular, and biology in general, is incredibly adaptive.

#251558 - 10/08/12 09:11 PM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
My theory is that the Internet exposes people to worries they may not have been aware of before and allows immersion into every facet of it (such as EMP and solar storms).

Prior to the mid-1990s, most people had many fewer information resources than today. For me growing up, my information sources were (aside from school teachers, friends and family) a daily monopoly newspaper (The Oregonian), three television networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) and a small town library that was 20 miles from my house. And the occasional Time or Newsweek magazine.

The years since 2000 have also been quite tumultuous -- from Y2K to a disputed presidential election to 9/11, anthrax, wars, economic crash (that we're still not recovered from), etcetera.

History is replete with societal resilience (such as, we survived the aforementioned decade) but we are also an increasingly technology-dependent just-in-time society and many people are mindful that major disruption is just a power outage away....

A no-tech dog walk in the woods always helps soothe the worrier in me.

#251559 - 10/08/12 09:21 PM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: Dagny]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Well said Dagny; ivory tower folks concur:

NPR talk of the nation today; researchers suggest war and violence on the decline in modern times here .

Basic thought: Retail violence was much more prevalent in previous centuries, much rarer now.

#251564 - 10/08/12 11:22 PM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: nursemike]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska

Crichton's fiction is often heavily researched and factually foot-noted, and his science credentials-Harvard MD-are not shoddy.
I don't wish to start a flame war, but Martin is right. Chrichton wrote fiction. A Harvard MD certainly makes him qualified to write about medical topics. It does not automatically mean he knows anyting about any other area of science. Regarding his footnotes, several of the prominent scientists he cited have publicly stated that Chrichton totally misunderstood their work and/or took them grossly out of context.

Enjoy his books as science fiction. Do not presume that they have any significance beyond that.

smile

#251566 - 10/09/12 01:41 AM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: AKSAR]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: AKSAR

Crichton's fiction is often heavily researched and factually foot-noted, and his science credentials-Harvard MD-are not shoddy.
I don't wish to start a flame war, but Martin is right. Chrichton wrote fiction. A Harvard MD certainly makes him qualified to write about medical topics. It does not automatically mean he knows anyting about any other area of science. Regarding his footnotes, several of the prominent scientists he cited have publicly stated that Chrichton totally misunderstood their work and/or took them grossly out of context.

Enjoy his books as science fiction. Do not presume that they have any significance beyond that.

smile

Gosh, a lot of the MDeities that I have worked with believe that a medical degree grants expertise in politics, economics, and social commentary, but perhaps you are right. I promise never to refer to Crichton as an authority again.

#251575 - 10/09/12 12:19 PM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: MartinFocazio]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I enjoy his books,dont write too much else into the equation though,just good entertainment,works for me.

#251584 - 10/09/12 03:25 PM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I think the great quantity of information available tends to make folks lock themselves into "cultural ghettos". My term for those who limit their information gathering to one particular worldview. Soon it appears that everything they see confirms that worldview.

I try very hard to seek views that are not like mine. This becomes even more difficult when search engines return results filtered based on your past selections.

At the very least, planning my escape from my own self created cultural ghetto provides me with insight to how others see the world. And I become more confident that my decisions are bases on a more accurate assessment.

Nomad

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 494 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.