The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#251134 - 09/22/12 02:57 AM Re: Bike safety [Re: nursemike]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Doubtful a car could even see two lines on the concrete behind the bike.

#251138 - 09/22/12 11:21 AM Re: Bike safety [Re: nursemike]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Drivers have a tendency to drive into what they are looking at, why police cars get hit on the side of the road when at a traffic stop. This may actually be counterproductive. Maybe it should show them where they should go instead of where to stay out of.

#251140 - 09/22/12 03:51 PM Re: Bike safety [Re: gonewiththewind]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I say a driver tends to avoid a biker if the driver sees the biker or warning lights. However, there are exceptions to that rule. In order to cause a biker fatality, all it takes is 1 bad driver out of 10,000 for example.

There have been many times I came close to hitting a biker at night who had no lights or reflective gear, and I have better than 20/20 vision. It pissed me off because my heart rate shot up and I had to think about what could have happened, while the biker kept riding in ignorant bliss. In contrast, a biker with bling puts himself in a much safer position.

#251146 - 09/23/12 01:34 AM Re: Bike safety [Re: ireckon]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: ireckon
I say a driver tends to avoid a biker if the driver sees the biker or warning lights. However, there are exceptions to that rule. In order to cause a biker fatality, all it takes is 1 bad driver out of 10,000 for example.

There have been many times I came close to hitting a biker at night who had no lights or reflective gear, and I have better than 20/20 vision. It pissed me off because my heart rate shot up and I had to think about what could have happened, while the biker kept riding in ignorant bliss. In contrast, a biker with bling puts himself in a much safer position.

Quite precisely. I've nearly hit cyclists as well, for the same reason. On cycling boards, this is known as going 'ninja.'

A common piece of advice is to be as visible as possible, but ride as if you are invisible (cautiously).

#251149 - 09/23/12 10:56 AM Re: Bike safety [Re: nursemike]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Bike Laser Tail Light

Creates a bike lane on the ground in back of the rider to improve safety.

Hacks to follow to increase wattage, provide ranging and sighting capability. Unit will be capable of dividing pursuing zombies into three segments vertically or horizontally.

I was referring to the projection of a "lane" behind the bike being something that would attract attention and that maybe it should instead indicate to the side where a motorist should go, not where they should not go. Sorry if I was not clear enough. Obviously it is better for a cyclist to be seen. This is a bit unusual and may not be clear to drivers what it means or what they are intended to do. Too much attention focused on it could cause a driver to swerve into it rather than avoid it.

#251150 - 09/23/12 12:42 PM Re: Bike safety [Re: nursemike]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
The area I live in is not biker, both defintions, friendly. Nor is it motorized wheelchair friendly. For that matter, it's not pedestrian friendly either. Yet daily, I see people riding bikes, in the dark, with dark clothing and no reflectors/lights. The motorized wheelchairs are as bad, well into the travel lanes. Pedestrians have death wishes - no reflective clothing, walking with traffic, in the travel lanes.

You have to take the responsibility to keep yourself safe. Travel with a brain. I mean I will feel really bad should I hit someone, but I won't hurt as much as the one I hit with my pickup.

#251151 - 09/23/12 03:26 PM Re: Bike safety [Re: JBMat]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Having a mobile bike lane following you around all the time might make you fell safe, but I doubt it actually makes you safer. If the light stripe to the left of the bicycle is not projected for some reason, might it actually degrade your safety?

Visibility is key. I,too, have seen ninja cyclists in dark clothing, no lights, on the wrong side of the street, running stop signs and red lights. One of them actually complained about my bright light as we passed in the morning darkness!

#251158 - 09/24/12 04:12 PM Re: Bike safety [Re: nursemike]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I would be happy if the nitwits on bikes would just have any kind of light. I nearly got run over a few days ago while walking the dog at zero dark 30. the bike was almost invisible in the dark. Not even a reflector.

I suspect very few bicyclists have even a remote clue how hard they are to see sometimes. They are zooming around in and out of traffic like motorcyclists tend to do on occassion and they appear in total unexpected places because many just plain refuse to obey the traffic laws.

Bob

#251163 - 09/24/12 06:50 PM Re: Bike safety [Re: ILBob]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I know of a couple folks,very healthy,taken out while on bikes. One fella was riding along safely,passed by a truck that made a right hand turn and knocked him down and ran over him.Neither saw it coming,driver or cyclist.

Then the guy backed over in a wheelchair by a pickup truck in PO parking lot,and the guy hit and killed downtown in a 25 mph zone that people actually drive 25 mph.

Dangerous world.

#251181 - 09/25/12 01:38 PM Re: Bike safety [Re: nursemike]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I can't for the life of me figure out the runners in my neck of the woods. They would rather run in the dark in a 45 mph zone inside the white line when there is a perfectly good sidewalk 5 yards or so away. Wearing headphones, oblivious to their surroundings, crossing without looking. I never used to use the high beam headlights in urban areas. I do it all the time now to try to stir the runners out of their self-induced la-la land. Maybe I need one of those horns like they had in the movie, The Car, with James Brolin. Watch it some time, beautiful scenery (Zion National Park) and high body count (mostly pedestrians).

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.