LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
bug out bike from my generation...

#250881 - 09/12/12 02:12 PM Re: Bug Out Vehicle [Re: greenghost]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Les,that pic is exactly what several of us were trying to convey about bicycles on the thread about bugging out with the baby,they moved a lot of goods on those things.Not riding em,pushing them,thanks for the pic.

#250886 - 09/12/12 06:33 PM Re: Bug Out Vehicle [Re: spuds]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

If someone is interested , maybe there can be a thread about NON-MOTORIZED BOVs. In particular, I always thought about this bicycle idea with some ... what shall I say, there are better alternatives.

What I have in mind is a two wheel trailer/cart that you pull behind you will all weight on the wheels. Seems to me better alignment with your forward motion and more enenergy efficient than the bike.

The bik idea is better when you have a very narrow trail, but otherwise a cart seems to be better until someone convinces me otherise.

Detour end.
Back to track

I have the same dillema with rugged 4x4 vs a more civilized version. I do have a Toyota Land Cruiser but to climb Mt. Everst with one of these , you need a driver of the right caliber. I have scaled down my courage long time ago. When family is with me in the car, I will only drive through paved roads or short stretches of sandy roads. No 4x4 stunts , even if zombies are in my rear mirror.

So, for me a Subaru or Honda Element is OK. But then we get in some other problems. When you have a land cruiser or Toyota Hilux for example, you guarantee the availability of spare parts no matter where you are. Just look at the news , and see what everone is riding. From African warloards, or Lybian rebels, to Taliban fighters in Afghanistan, "Toyota" is always there on the screen.

YMMV, and no link to Toyota other than satisfied customer.

In a nut shell, alot of factors play a role in choosing the right BOV.

#250887 - 09/12/12 08:45 PM Re: Bug Out Vehicle [Re: Chisel]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Chisel
If someone is interested , maybe there can be a thread about NON-MOTORIZED BOVs. In particular, I always thought about this bicycle idea with some ... what shall I say, there are better alternatives.

What I have in mind is a two wheel trailer/cart that you pull behind you will all weight on the wheels. Seems to me better alignment with your forward motion and more enenergy efficient than the bike.

The bik idea is better when you have a very narrow trail, but otherwise a cart seems to be better until someone convinces me otherise.

I believe if you do the math you'll find that a bike is more efficient. I can't find the like right now, but a bike is more efficient that walking, i.e. you expend less energy per length of travel. Walking and pulling a cart behind would use even more energy than just walking.

#250893 - 09/12/12 11:22 PM Re: Bug Out Vehicle [Re: greenghost]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Bike + bike trailer has great utility, especially after the BOV runs out of gas.

Here's one of my mountain bikes pulling a dog trailer (holding two puppies). That is a "Croozer" brand dog trailer rated to carry 100 pounds. There's also a luggage rack that fits on top of it and there's a third wheel and handlebars so it can function as a stroller.

There are a number of strictly cargo trailers to choose from. A child trailer would also hold a fair amount.

I'd enjoy a thread on non-motorized BOVs.

Attachments
BIKE.jpg (2789 downloads)

#250897 - 09/13/12 01:39 AM Re: Bug Out Vehicle [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Bicycles are considerably more efficient than walking and they are not restricted to roadways,and can be carried for short distances across obstacles that stop automobile. However,they are no better than the engine driving them. If you are not a regular bike rider, a bug-out situation is not the best venue for training.

I would want one available so that I could adapt to circumstances.

#250903 - 09/13/12 03:14 AM Re: Bug Out Vehicle [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Hikemor made some good points. If you are not conditioned for bike riding, attempting a bug-out by bike is going to leave your body in some hurt and in more places then you do not want to contemplate.

As for the concept of pushing a bike loaded with gear, a bit of a reality check is needed. This reality check is simple; most people cannot walk 10-20 miles on any given day, let alone while humping a 25-40 lb pack or pushing a fully laden bike, ala the 1960's era picture that Les posted...even on paved streets or paved roads. The human body needs to be trained for walking long distances especially if your bug-out plans include walking for multiple days, otherwise your whole body will suffer, especially your back, legs and feet.

John Lubbock

#250904 - 09/13/12 03:47 AM Re: Bug Out Vehicle [Re: Teslinhiker]
LED Offline
Veteran

Teslinhiker is 100% correct. Trekking long distances takes conditioning.

I'd also recommend a good set of boots (and socks) for serious walking with a load. And don't forget to break the boots in before you need 'em.

#250906 - 09/13/12 03:58 AM Re: Bug Out Vehicle [Re: greenghost]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
A bicycle doesn't provide much protection from the elements and if the cause of the "bug out" is a hurricane evacuation that matters a lot.

#250908 - 09/13/12 09:45 AM Re: Bug Out Vehicle [Re: Eugene]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Eugene, I think I was not clear enough

spuds has mentioned that bicycles in the picture are used for gear ONLY . They are not for riding. I was commenting on these bicycles. If you notice the guy is pushing something that is not 100% alighned with his forward movement. He will be exrting some torque on ONE SIDE, and this is why one side of the handlebar was so long. The same guy could have moved the same load using a cart behind him easier than using this bike.

Saying it another way : Using this bike he spend TWO amounts of energy: one for moving forward, another for balancing the bike. Using a crt, he only pulls forward.

I may be right or wrong, but that is what I comparing. The "cargo bike vs cargo cart". I am not comparing walking beside the bike vs riding it.

I think we should leave this thread for mortorized BOV, and start another for bikes and carts.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 172 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
3 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.