Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#250678 - 09/06/12 01:45 PM Re: Thoughts On Smaller Knives [Re: barbarian]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: barbarian
... a large knife with ... the ability to better process wood might be more practical. ...

barbarian brings up a great thought.

In days of old (1700's & 1800's) I wonder what folks who traveled in the less populated areas carried with them. I suspect that they weren't typically "processing wood" with a knife, but more likely they carried a saw (how common was that???), an axe (almost certainly), and splitting wedges of some kind (maybe locally fashioned out of wood???).

#250681 - 09/06/12 03:09 PM Re: Thoughts On Smaller Knives [Re: KenK]
Vogeler Offline

Originally Posted By: KenK

barbarian brings up a great thought.

In days of old (1700's & 1800's) I wonder what folks who traveled in the less populated areas carried with them. I suspect that they weren't typically "processing wood" with a knife, but more likely they carried a saw (how common was that???), an axe (almost certainly), and splitting wedges of some kind (maybe locally fashioned out of wood???).

Ken, in "pioneer" days, most explorers, longhunters, mountain men etc. would carry both a skinning knife, similar to the Russel Green River and also a longer knife for more general or combat usage like the Rifleman's Knife or the ever famous Bowie (once it became widespread). In addition, most also carried a hatchet or tomahawk. And a lot of them had a patch knife carried on their possibles bag or around the neck.

That's just the stuff that was carried on the person. If they had pack animals, you can bet they had a felling axe and other tools on the horse!

Jeff White makes some great blades, although I don't own one (yet). I want one of his Nessmuks!

Now, on to the main question...

My latest "outdoor knife" is the TOPS Band of Brothers Fieldcraft knife. It's about 4.5" long and I wouldn't want anything longer. It's pretty thick and solid too. So far I've been able to use it for just about anything, including making fuzz sticks and carving and some heavier work. I also have an ESEE Izula II that's great for when I don't want/need the heavier blade. I also have a couple of Moras that I love, but I think I'd want something full tang for "survival" use.

So, in my opinion, those two blades cover most of what I'd need for emergency use. If I'm going camping, my hatchet/tomahawk comes along. A larger fixed blade is just extra weight and overkill in my view.

#250880 - 09/12/12 02:07 PM Re: Thoughts On Smaller Knives [Re: KenK]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
I own a gazillion knives, big and small, fixed and folders, BRKT's, ZT, Benchmades, Swamp Rats, ScrapYards, Fallkniven, Buck, etc., collected over 40 years or so. My favorite all around hard use knife is my BRKT Canadian Special. Almost as funky looking as the Nessmuk, full tang 4" x 0.17" A2 tool steel, convex edge, very pointy, but thick right to the point, easily sharpened on a strop with compound and the sharpest knife I have ever seen. Sliced right through two leather BRKT sheaths without even noticing, one of which sliced deep into my hand - also not notice until it began bleeding profusely. I have yet to find a task where this knife does not excel. I would not try to use it to remove a splinter however, unless you plan to cut your hand off at the wrist.

#250989 - 09/15/12 06:11 PM Re: Thoughts On Smaller Knives [Re: KenK]
corpsman Offline
Journeyman

Normally, it's a Bark River Fox River. Generally paired (or tripled ;-) ) with a "pocket knife," like sak, or old trapper or Barlow 2 blade and a "pocket clip" knife like a 710hs, Spydie or similar.

I have a SRKW Camp Tramp that is a great knife but too big for small stuff, and frankly I prefer a hatchet or axe for real chopping.

This does not count multi-tools, since you said knife.

Yes, I carry too much, and faced the fact I may need to dump weight, but at least I have it to dump if it ever becomes necessary. wink

#251002 - 09/15/12 11:11 PM Re: Thoughts On Smaller Knives [Re: KenK]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
In my book a knife is one of those things that calls for redundancy.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.