The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#250461 - 08/31/12 03:27 AM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: GoatMan]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
GoatMan.. thank you for bringing this video forward... after Columbine, I was on our school's committee to draft emergency management procedures, and argued unsuccessfully that teachers be allowed to "run" with their students to a safe location given the opportunity to do so safely...I'd been a USPSA compeititor for over 15years at that time, and had a pretty good idea what gunfire sounded like, and my classroom was in immediate vicinity to outside stair well... I argued that I was in a better position as on site commander than anyone "Monday morning quarterbacking" my decisions, but told that was against county policy

I hardened my classroom the best I could... cutting door wedges for inward swinging doors, and 2x2s with 550 cord loops to secure external, outward swinging doors

several 2x2 sections were for a makeshift stretcher and club...and a gallon of 12n HCl would probably sting your eyes a little bit

retired now...I carry a pocket pistol EDC to those places I'm allowed under Florida statutes...I have a very low perception of threat...the decision to carry came after the Luby's Cafeteria Massacre in Lubbock, Texas...

#250469 - 08/31/12 12:38 PM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: GoatMan]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
This was one of the episodes in the 'Surviving disaster' telly series. We have discussed this before and people who knew their stuff found the advice to be good. E.g 'keep at least a foot from walls; as bullets skim along them' is also in the US army manuals.

http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/3w9eyj/surviving-disaster-mall-shooting-season-1-ep-107

qjs

#250471 - 08/31/12 03:48 PM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: LesSnyder]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
...I argued that I was in a better position as on site commander than anyone "Monday morning quarterbacking" my decisions, but told that was against county policy...

Here's what you guys need to remember:

The point of official policy is not to save lives, it is to minimize legal liability exposure after the crisis. They would rather have some people die and then have an airtight-as-possible legal position when its over and the lawsuits roll in.

It's the same thing with the "no firearms in your car" policy at most workplaces. Reality shows that those intent on going postal will do so regardless of company policy. But when the lawsuits come, the company needs their lawyers to be able to point to official policy that says "we are a weapon-free zone, we did everything we could", even though that stance does nothing to protect employees.

This is fact. Plan accordingly.

#250476 - 08/31/12 05:39 PM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
But when the lawsuits come, the company needs their lawyers to be able to point to official policy that says "we are a weapon-free zone, we did everything we could"

Schools are between a rock and a hard place because the "gun free zone" is specified in state law for many places. Private property is a different matter entirely. Given that, they should be legally responsible for my safety to the fullest extent while I'm on their property. If I'm inside a private property "gun free zone" when something like this happens and survive, I will be filing a suit based on contributing to a dangerous environment.

#250478 - 08/31/12 08:25 PM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: UTAlumnus]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Schools are between a rock and a hard place because the "gun free zone" is specified in state law for many places.

Good point.

Quote:
Private property is a different matter entirely. Given that, they should be legally responsible for my safety to the fullest extent while I'm on their property. If I'm inside a private property "gun free zone" when something like this happens and survive, I will be filing a suit based on contributing to a dangerous environment.

Yup. Problem is they want it both ways:

1) claim private property rights to trump your right to life
2) claim your safety is not their responsibility

As the saying goes, "concealed means concealed".

#250482 - 08/31/12 10:07 PM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
As the saying goes, "concealed means concealed".

+1 It's not as readily accessed but avoids comments.

#250484 - 09/01/12 12:30 AM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: UTAlumnus]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Overall, I think the video's pretty good. It's short and to the point, and vivid enough to open the eyes of folks who've either never considered such a thing, or push aside thinking about what they might - or should - do in such an event.

It boils down a lot of the general information provided in ALICE training (which stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate) and is beginning to be taught in some colleges and schools as opposed to the lockdown-only approach that has been prevalent.

I posted several months ago about the ALICE active shooter response course.

#251199 - 09/26/12 06:11 AM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: GoatMan]
Fyrediver Offline

I thought it was a pretty good video. Better than I expected.

Not too long ago there was a school (I believe in Texas) teaching a similar curriculum and they were forced to stop it because it encouraged fighting an attacker. I guess it's more PC to have dead students and staff than an incapacitated attacker.

#251234 - 09/28/12 05:01 AM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: Fyrediver]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Fyrediver
Not too long ago there was a school (I believe in Texas) teaching a similar curriculum and they were forced to stop it because it encouraged fighting an attacker. I guess it's more PC to have dead students and staff than an incapacitated attacker.

No, it's probably more LC -- legally correct -- not PC. I'd think a school that encourages students to fight back will get sued if an attack happens, students fight back, and some get hurt or even die. Don't tell me some parents out there won't sue.

#251250 - 09/29/12 12:14 AM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: Bingley]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
I'd think a school that encourages students to fight back will get sued if an attack happens, students fight back, and some get hurt or even die. Don't tell me some parents out there won't sue.

I'd expect to get sued either way. At least if they fight back they're got a chance of making a difference.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.