Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250063 - 08/20/12 10:12 PM Re: Wire survival saw lessons learned (pics) [Re: Alex]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Alex
Thank you for sharing and great images! I gave up on wire saw idea in favor of a chainsaw a while ago (Got the Gerber Gator and scavenged the chain blade parts for the kit). However I prefer my long hatchet for any solo wood work anyway. The only problem with it - it's not as quiet as a saw and obviously heavier.

My favorite woods tool is my wetterlings axe. I usually never need it enough to justify carrying it with me until winter when all the fire bans are lifted.

Then I would be happy if that was the only cutting tool I had.

#250064 - 08/20/12 10:16 PM Re: Wire survival saw lessons learned (pics) [Re: Stephen]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There are times when a saw if just the tool you want. That is why I routinely carry a Wave. There have been times it was just the ticket - cuts fast and straight with no binding....

#250067 - 08/20/12 11:25 PM Re: Wire survival saw lessons learned (pics) [Re: Stephen]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
IMHO, any saw is pure evil, because almost every solo-use saw will drastically limit your survival capabilities by simply limiting the size of wood you might just consider using in your mind.

For example, it's weird for me to see survival experiments videos on YouTube, when after dunking in the ice cold water people (under the wise guidance of survival instructor) are making fire out of just 3-4 inch "logs" maximum (some were feeding their miniature "survival" fire by kindling only!), and that's for fighting the really deadly hypothermia overnight... That's so silly! I'm used to creating at least a three-log fire in such a situation with 12 inch logs minimum! Find just 1 dead tree and chop it down to pieces. Same apply for the shelter building, animal snares making, water distilling, etc.

You need more wood - find and cut a large tree. I understand, - firewood gathering prohibition, fire bans, etc... but keep that in mind when you need to survive for real.

#250069 - 08/20/12 11:48 PM Re: Wire survival saw lessons learned (pics) [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Well, I dunno. I have had to make fires on several occasions when it was really critical, and I have always gone with small stuff - usually something I could break by hand, by stomping, or by dropping a large rock. Worked every time. In my youth, I routinely cooked over open fires, employing the same techniques. The best use for a saw in my experience has been to clear out a helispot.

Even then on one memorable operation, as I was dutifully setting about to fell a nice healthy pinon (8" diam.) my companions persuaded me to try and just push it over. Moral of the story: A motivated rescuer is better than any tool.

Of course, it is true what is said about sawing - it warms you twice - once when you are cutting, and again when you burn it.

#250074 - 08/21/12 01:32 AM Re: Wire survival saw lessons learned (pics) [Re: Stephen]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Standard issue NATO UK Super Army Soldier (SAS) survival saw NSN 5110-25-147-4344 works pretty well for cutting up firewood. wink

#250079 - 08/21/12 02:21 AM Re: Wire survival saw lessons learned (pics) [Re: Stephen]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Can't fit one inside pocket kit. :p

Has anyone tried the American issue one? Looks like a real thick solid wire with welded on sharp teeth, never seen it for sale, at least places that will sell to me.

#250081 - 08/21/12 03:09 AM Re: Wire survival saw lessons learned (pics) [Re: jzmtl]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Sounds like the ones from the Boy Scouts back in the late 70's/early 80's. One of the current online stores only lists the Coghlans version.

#250082 - 08/21/12 03:36 AM Re: Wire survival saw lessons learned (pics) [Re: hikermor]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Well, I dunno. I have had to make fires on several occasions when it was really critical, and I have always gone with small stuff - usually something I could break by hand, by stomping, or by dropping a large rock. Worked every time. In my youth, I routinely cooked over open fires, employing the same techniques. The best use for a saw in my experience has been to clear out a helispot.

Or using the fire itself to do the work. Is the log too big to chop or saw? Set it in the middle of the fire and let it burn in half. Insert the 2 halves again into the fire. Its not very often that a person's only option is a huge log that can't be cut in the first place -- the smaller tinder and branches usually burn best anyway.

I've seen Mors Kochanski use a simple Mora knife to take down a wrist sized tree in less than a minute almost negating the requirement for a small saw at all. That said, I purchased a Gerber folding saw because I am not as skilled as he is. smile

#250087 - 08/21/12 05:28 AM Re: Wire survival saw lessons learned (pics) [Re: Stephen]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
From what I've seen, a small saw, whether it be Leatherman, SAK, or even a simple wire saw, makes it possible to take down surprisingly large trees. They give you the ability to create a fault plane and then apply main force to finish the job. IME, the strength of a tree is mostly of the outer third of its diameter. A small saw (or a small and sharp knife, wielded with skill) punches far beyond its weight.

In terms of sustaining a reliable fire, I suggest that regional differences apply. There is no simple rule. In my part of the world, putting three 12-in. logs over a bed of coals would almost certainly fizzle in a most inconvenient way. We (obviously) have to adjust our techniques to the materials at hand.

#250096 - 08/21/12 06:52 PM Re: Wire survival saw lessons learned (pics) [Re: UTAlumnus]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Sounds like the ones from the Boy Scouts back in the late 70's/early 80's. One of the current online stores only lists the Coghlans version.

No it's a lot stouter than coghlan's version.

I've also seen people use what appears to be carbide impregnated scroll saw blade, I'd imagine those hold up to heat a lot better.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 294 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.