Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2490 - 11/05/01 06:58 PM Sterno-maniac
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, all -<br><br>Have any of you tried rubbing gel Sterno into a cotton ball for firestarting?<br><br>After fooling around with dryer lint, magnesium firestarters, and cotton balls all weekend (my spousal unit thinks I'm nuts), I rubbed some gel Sterno into a cotton ball and placed it under my 'real' dryer lint tinder. I ignited the dryer lint using my mag. firestarter. The dryer lint - which always burns at the speed of light - burned down to the Sterno ball. The fire then burned for a good length of time. I'm thinking this would give me a bit more time to get my fire going with kindling, especially if anything happens to be slightly damp. I'm sure I could use all the help I can get, especially on a dark and stormy night.... <br><br>I'd like to put some Sterno in a film cannister and toss it in my survival backpack. (Hmm, if I mistake it for my hair gel, I'm in big trouble. ;-]] )<br><br>Any thoughts or experiences with this (the Sterno, not the hair gel...)<br><br>Thanks -<br><br>NP

#2491 - 11/05/01 08:15 PM Re: Sterno-maniac
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sterno is great stuff. The only problem I've had is the slow evaporation of the fuel once opened to air.

#2492 - 11/05/01 09:20 PM Re: Sterno-maniac
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Last week there was a link to the Home Made Stove Archives web site. One of the articles was how to make a an Gelled Fuel. I've copied the instructions below. This would seem to overcome the evaporation problem, but I have no idea how effective it really is or how safe or unsafe the process/mixture might be. Anyone familiar with this stuff?<br><br>>>>Mix 11 Miligrams of Calcium Acetate (1/2 a film canister) with 10 mills of water. (fills up the canister) Then shake for 10 seconds, let it sit for approximately one minute then shake once more for 10 seconds, make sure the Calcium Acetate is completely dissolved. <br> <br>Measure 10 mills of the solution and pour into can. Slowly add 40 mills of ethanol. As you add the ethanol, the mixture should "Gel" instantly. At this point I poured off any remaining Ethanol (a very small amount, looked like about 1/10 of an oz.) Because this mixture gels instantly, you do not have to combine the two until you need to use it for cooking. Once the solution has Gelled (approximately instantly), it is ready to use. <<<

#2493 - 11/06/01 11:53 AM Re: Sterno-maniac
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
I keep a can of gel fuel and an Esbit stove with cartridges in my kit. <br><br>I dip half a cartridge of Esbit into the gel and then ignite it with magnesium firestarter. Last weekend I tried this under snow at an altitude around 5000 feet. I managed to make big fire with soaked wood on my first try. The esbit burns very well and the gel catches fire easily. <br><br>The only problem with the gel is that the can becomes very hot and you have to cool it down before you can put it back into your backpack. <br><br>For my PSK I tried to keep cotton rubbed with gel but I came across with problems. It evoparated although I thought I made it airtight :), it took lots of space and all the contents of the tin smelled gel. <br><br>I use esbit tablettes instead now for my PSK and other kits. If you also use the original esbit stove, it can also be held in the hand while burning smile <br><br>You may check: http://www.monmouth.com/~mconnick/esbit.htm

#2494 - 11/06/01 07:27 PM Re: Sterno-maniac
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Sterno is kinda messy. I just carry GI insect repellant (bug juice). Make a little pile of tender, squirt some bug juice on it, add a spark or flame, and whoof, you have fire. The little tubes of glue in bike innertube patch kits burns like crazy too, just squirt out a little onto tinder and you are set.

#2495 - 11/07/01 07:41 PM Re: Sterno-maniac
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Barak, I too,use an esbit stove. I am curious. I know turks can be tough, but holding the esbit in your hand?I will be joining friends for the evening iftar next week. Im already bandaged from my fishing kit trials. Do I have to handle hot braziers too LOL?

#2496 - 11/08/01 06:42 AM Re: Sterno-maniac
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
Chris,<br><br>If you burn the tablette in the original stove you can hold it in your hand. Try and see, no need to be a magician. Esbit's are made for burning in biouvacs and small tents etc. The stove does not reflect heat to the floor (or your hand if you are holding it.) I am not talking about holding the burning tablette, the stove. <br><br>Turks were tough in the past, now we are all ruined like the rest of most of the world smile <br><br>

#2497 - 01/27/02 01:42 PM Re: Sterno-maniac
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is an esbit tablet?

#2498 - 01/27/02 06:41 PM Re: Sterno-maniac
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Esbit tablets are the fuel for the German Esbit stove. This is a small folding unit ( pocket sized.) The fuel looks at first glance like a white ceramic block. It is a very stable ( will not degrade like trioxane etc.) The stoves and fuel are available from many sources. The most readilly accessable one in the USA at first thought is Campmor.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 260 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.