Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#249410 - 08/02/12 10:30 PM Re: Power outage in India - 600 million dark [Re: LED]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Yes, the power is so unstable there that many businesses have back up plans of sorts but is still very disruptive according to this news link.

Work making potato chip display racks at Jayraj Kumar's factory barely paused when much of India's power grid collapsed.
The backup generators kicked in automatically and the electric saws, presses and welding machines kept running, just like they do during the five-hour power cuts the factory in suburban Delhi suffers nearly every day.
India's unreliable power system has forced businesses to create a workaround electricity system of noisy, dirty diesel generators that prepared them well when the world's worst blackout hit the country Tuesday.
But the trouble has also vastly increased businesses's expenses, dragged down their productivity and hampered economic growth in the country.
"Running a factory is very tough here," Kumar said.

John Lubbock

#249482 - 08/05/12 02:03 PM Re: Power outage in India - 600 million dark [Re: TeacherRO]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
It seems that one of the problems is that farmers have been using a lot of juice for irrigation due to lower than normal rain fall.

Interestingly, an article I read suggested as much as 10% of the energy distributed by the Indian electrical grid is unaccounted for (read stolen).

Many parts of India have multihour power losses every day just to keep the rest of the grid up. Most people and businesses have adapted pretty well.

One thing I read in a technical forum from an Indian power engineer suggested that the big outage was likely caused because the grid controllers failed to shut off power to certain places as they were supposed to as demand rose to an unsustainable level. Probably due to being bribed by some large user(s) to leave it on.

Bob

#249574 - 08/08/12 10:31 AM Re: Power outage in India - 600 million dark [Re: TeacherRO]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I doubt that the recent Indian power failure resulted in much loss of life.
Power cuts are very frequent indeed, daily in some areas, therefore any person or facility that relies on electricity to preserve life would have been prepared.

This event made world wide headlines because such a large area was affected at the same time.
However in say a hospital operating theatre, a power cut is a power cut, and it matters not if the whole nation, or just a small area is affected. A reliable backup supply is needed in either case.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Bingley, Jeanette_Isabelle), 265 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.