Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249199 - 07/30/12 01:42 AM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: picard120]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

I don't really like it on my wrist, but if you make it slightly longer you can put it loosely around your ankle / boot -- hidden by your pants leg for the bracelet self conscious, and more cordage due to the larger diameter!

I especially like the one that guy made with nameplate and ferrocerium toggle -- no knife so it's basically friendly to practically everyone, but the nameplate will strike the ferrocerium. IIRC he threaded jute twine in there too for tinder.

#249204 - 07/30/12 03:33 AM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: picard120]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One axion of lightweight, efficient backpacking is to employ as many multiuse items as possible. A cordage bracelet is basically serving only as a stockpile of cordage and hence is relatively inefficient Various items one would carry on a typical hike includes or can be crafted to include cordage that can be adapted for shelter construction and other uses.

For one thing, I like to carry lanyards to which I can attach knives and other tools if I am working in exposed locations where tools, etc. would be lost if dropped. These are basically lengths of paracord about three feet long, easily available for use. I am often hiking with my dog, and i carry a leash. Someday I should fabricate a six foot leash from paracord - that would provide lots of cordage in an emergency. There there are always shoelaces (and spares) as well as the neck cords for my compass and whistle. These can be pressed into service if necessary.

Of course, if I am carrying any climbing gear, I will probably have all the cordage I could possibly use. What other items could serve as emergency sources of cordage?

#249205 - 07/30/12 04:17 AM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: picard120]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Good point,para cord makes excellent boot laces.BTDT.

OK,I will get my act together and get some dog leashes made.

#249223 - 07/30/12 05:46 PM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: picard120]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I don't recall the source, but i recall reading somewhere that wearing those every day causes the paracord to actually start breaking down, becoming useless as actual cordage in an emergency. YMMV

#249234 - 07/30/12 09:41 PM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I replace the laces in most of my shoes and boots I use outdoors with paracord.

I hear about this a lot but not in Canada probably due to the scarcity and lack of decent price of paracord here.

Questions about using paracord for shoe or boot laces. What happens when you need a length of cord that you are using for laces? Would it simply not be easier and more useful just to carry a 2-3 feet of cord in your pack or in a coat pocket if one was concerned enough that they may need the paracord for any myriad of reasons?

Also has anyone who does use paracord for laces actually ever had to really use it when no other options were available? Also for what purpose and what were the extenuating wilderness or urban circumstances behind that purpose?

John Lubbock

#249238 - 07/30/12 10:41 PM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: hikermor
What other items could serve as emergency sources of cordage?

I'm wrapping my hatchets handles, knife sheaths, and water/stove-alcohol bottles with paracord. I have made the aforementioned wristband too, but it does not feel good on the hand, especially with multiple layers of clothing.

Regarding the shoelaces, you can use less of it to actually lace your boots, (i.e. cutting one for laces, using another for cordage) or/and you can remove inner strands (all or some) and use only one of them or just the shell for lacing.

#249240 - 07/30/12 10:53 PM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

This is second hand - but I have read of a climbing accident in which a climber was hanging free after an arrested fall and fashioned prussik sling from his shoelaces, thereby enabling him to ascend the rope to safety. It certainly could not have worked very well, but it evidently worked well enough.

It certainly is easy enough to carry adequate cordage, especially with the newer varieties that are now available, but it i worth thinking of what one might do in desperate circumstances...

#249241 - 07/30/12 11:03 PM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: hikermor
This is second hand - but I have read of a climbing accident in which a climber was hanging free after an arrested fall and fashioned prussik sling from his shoelaces, thereby enabling him to ascend the rope to safety. It certainly could not have worked very well, but it evidently worked well enough.

Sounded too good to be true so our friend Google returns this link. Not sure if this is the same you heard about nor am I sure of what movie is being referred to...

You've all seen the movie where the mountaineer is left hanging in the wind on the end of the rope, his partner unable to help. Our hero inevitably whips off his shoe laces, and uses them to ascend the rope. It makes great footage, but unless you're feeling like James Bond material, or you start using 6 or 7mm accessory cord as shoe laces, I suggest you use a more practical approach.

John Lubbock

#249243 - 07/30/12 11:09 PM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: picard120]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I wear mine because my kiddo gave it to me for Christmas. It might be practical some day but for now, it's sentimental jewelry.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#249260 - 07/31/12 03:45 AM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I will certainly agree that shoelaces are rather too small to work well as prussiks. They can be rather challenging to manipulate even with proper diameter rope. However, to the best of my recollection, I was reading this in an AAC accident publication (a while ago)and it actually happened.

In a more common scenario, I wouldn't hesitate to use my shoelaces to lash a shelter together. In the morning, unlash, retie, and start walking. However, it is awfully easy to simply carry a decent supply of cordage.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 534 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.