Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#247730 - 06/30/12 04:29 AM Re: Survivorman 10 Days premieres Saturday, June 30 [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Since we're not lucky enough to have this show available on the 30th (tomorrow!) here in the US, I set my DVR to record any "new episode" of "survivorman" on "any channel". So hopefully when the show finally does become available here, the DVR will pick it up even if I don't notice it when it airs. Could be many months from now for all I know. How did we ever live without these DVR's in the past?!

#247859 - 07/02/12 05:35 AM Re: Survivorman 10 Days premieres Saturday, June 30 [Re: Roarmeister]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
The real question is does Les bring his guitar for ten day trips or just the harmonica. I root for the harmonica because I can play Yankee Doodle and taps on that but only the chorus to smoke on the water on the guitar.

Seriously, I look forward to seeing his new show. I was disappointed when he stopped Survivorman but when he said it was just too hard on him to do all the schlepping of gear and survive and film it, I completely understood it. It hard fricking work. Best of luck to him I say.

And I own a BG fixed blade and a DR Mk3. I use both and actually really love both. I will not be buying one of Les's knives.

#247879 - 07/02/12 09:02 PM Re: Survivorman 10 Days premieres Saturday, June 30 [Re: Roarmeister]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
So tell us, is the new Survivorman (or whatever he is calling this new show) good, bad, ugly, sad, or ... ??

#247890 - 07/03/12 02:59 AM Re: Survivorman 10 Days premieres Saturday, June 30 [Re: Mark_F]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
So tell us, is the new Survivorman (or whatever he is calling this new show) good, bad, ugly, sad, or ... ??

Would love to tell you but I failed at recording the show while I was watching a football game on another channel. Argh!

On the upside I caught several episodes of "Survive This! Season 2" which I thought was quite entertaining and informative. Better than the 1st season. Les takes a group of high school kids out to the middle of Northern Ontario, gives them some inital training and then sets them forth on his junior version of Survivorman. I give props to the final 3 kids (13-15) who displayed some pretty decent skills and no quit.

#247897 - 07/03/12 07:06 AM Re: Survivorman 10 Days premieres Saturday, June 30 [Re: Roarmeister]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Did not watch this rats!...
Next time
Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#247907 - 07/03/12 01:38 PM Re: Survivorman 10 Days premieres Saturday, June 30 [Re: Roarmeister]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I don't think we get "Survive this" here in the US. It was airing on Cartoon Network but apparently didn't pull in enough ratings for them to retain the show. perhaps I can find it on netflix. Or if anyone can direct me to a channel it might be airing in the US?

#247963 - 07/04/12 06:43 AM Re: Survivorman 10 Days premieres Saturday, June 30 [Re: Mark_F]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom

I missed the first 15 minutes, but the format is pretty much the same as his Survivorman series ... these are called "Survivorman 10 days." As the name suggests, the difference is he is on his own for 10 days instead of 7. For this reason, each special is comprised of 2, 1 hour segments.

I'm guessing those of us who liked his show will like these specials.

The premise of this first special is that Les is stranded in a car on an empty stretch of road in the mountains of Norway. Maybe I shouldn't mention it, but if one of his knives was used, it was his Helle Temagami (along with a nice axe & a folding saw).

#247964 - 07/04/12 08:36 AM Re: Survivorman 10 Days premieres Saturday, June 30 [Re: Roarmeister]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Survivorman is one my all-time favorite shows! I'm glad he's getting some more content out there for his fans (and I count myself among them).

#248603 - 07/16/12 08:25 PM Re: Survivorman 10 Days premieres Saturday, June 30 [Re: Roarmeister]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Watched the first episode of the new season. Very mixed impression. It looked like Les is intentionally making a lot of little mistakes, obvious even for a casual camper, loosing time and energy trying to fix them later. Or he is simply loosing the edge?

E.g.
Making his first fire with the gas from the car tank looked like a complete newbie's effort, barely corrected to something what looks like a success only by the video footage editing.

He has started scavenging the car's upholstery, ruining its insulation badly the day before he has decided to bug out, having a colder night in the car as the result.

At the end, his attempt to build a well known fir tree shelter was a complete failure, in my opinion (the actual result will be known in the next episode though). He has selected a completely inadequate fir tree in the first place. So it looked like he has heard something about this type of shelter, but did not research important construction details beforehand.

Also the stuck in the snow car was much better prepared than an average one (good survival car kit in the trunk, a sleeping bag...). Felt like an unfair initial approach, even though many of us have much better kits in our cars.

By the way, the entire ordeal of the episode one reminded me the Kim's family survival and death story of 2006. It looked like Les was trying-on their situation and showing how to avoid wrong decisions in similar conditions.

Waiting for the new episode anxiously, as this season start feels even more a reality-show-like now. Meanwhile, I have started watching Les's "Survive this" show with my 12yr old. Quite amusing and educational show indeed. Especially when you realize, that in a dare survival situation a little scared kid inside you or others may step forward more than one can expect.

#248607 - 07/16/12 09:30 PM Re: Survivorman 10 Days premieres Saturday, June 30 [Re: Alex]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I have also seen the first episode (both parts 1 and 2) and I have also seen the second episode, part 1.

In Episode 1, I was not as taken as Stroud's previous shows, but they are still notches above other similar shows. In the part 2 of Episode 1, I noticed something that just did not seem right to me. Without giving much away, Stroud finds a partial deer carcass and skin supposedly left behind by hunters. If you look closely and have paid attention to the weather Stroud is in, it is winter with temps at or just below freezing. In some scenes there are icicles on a building that are frozen..meaning there is no thaw drip which is also is indicative of ambient temps. Yet this deer carcass he finds, shows no sign of being frozen as the meat and skin appear to be completely thawed which is strange unless those hunters had been there only that same day. Had that deer been there for hours such as overnight, I would think that parts of it would of showed some signs of being at least, partially frozen.

So far, I have found Episode 2 to better then the first as given the location, Les seems to be in more in his element. Part 2 will air this Saturday night on OLN for us Canadian viewers.

John Lubbock

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 540 Guests and 97 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.