The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#248673 - 07/17/12 07:48 PM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: Dagny]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Perhaps it's this news article that gets me a little worried about tree branches:

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-PHRAS...amper_at_b.html

An adult sycamore tree, weighing several thousand pounds, fell on top of the family's tent about 6 o'clock this morning, Tang-Smith said. State park police arrived about 6:15 a.m. and found the man and his wife inside.
Tang-Smith said the Somerset County family had been camping with their children, a 10-year-old boy and 12-year-old girl, as well as a 9-year-old cousin. Authorities said the children were unharmed. It was not clear where they were when the tree fell.

Happened just a few miles from me...I know guys who were on the call. It wasn't even bad weather...it just fell.

#248677 - 07/17/12 08:10 PM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: Dagny]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Dagny
A key to my car camping zen is this 12' x 12' screenroom (Eureka Northern Breeze)
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___26300

Ouch! That price tag stung a bit...

#248683 - 07/17/12 08:25 PM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: MartinFocazio]
drahthaar Offline

People change - no need to beat yourself up about it.

I have gone back and forth between unsupported solo camping, car camping, and RVs. All of them have their pluses and minuses.

I do find that if I finish off a trip with a few days somewhere that I can get a hot shower that it makes the whole trip better.

You probably already have too many obligations in your life, so no need to feel obligated to camp a certain way to stay true to some ideal you formed years ago.

My two cents anyway.

#248699 - 07/17/12 10:43 PM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: MartinFocazio]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Nah, I think that I'm just tired of sleeping on rocks and eating dirty food. I rather enjoy being outdoors, but I like a hot shower at the end of the day.

my friend's idea of camping is motel 6.

and too, that's why the national parks have hotels of all types within them - to attract folks who wouldn't otherwise be caught dead (pun intended) sleeping on the ground.

#248705 - 07/18/12 12:45 AM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Perhaps it's this news article that gets me a little worried about tree branches:

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER./index.ssf/2011/06/falling_tree_kills_camper_at_b.html

An adult sycamore tree, weighing several thousand pounds, fell on top of the family's tent about 6 o'clock this morning, Tang-Smith said. State park police arrived about 6:15 a.m. and found the man and his wife inside.
Tang-Smith said the Somerset County family had been camping with their children, a 10-year-old boy and 12-year-old girl, as well as a 9-year-old cousin. Authorities said the children were unharmed. It was not clear where they were when the tree fell.

Happened just a few miles from me...I know guys who were on the call. It wasn't even bad weather...it just fell.

My camper the original owner had a tree fall on it with him in it. He sold it and the second owner then bandaged it up with some aluminum flashing, a lot of caulking, and fiberglass with a couple steel angle bars across the center to pull it back up. I peeled the covering off and replaced all the broken and patched wood framing after I got it. It might not have been too heavy for his truck without all the extra crap smile

#248706 - 07/18/12 01:37 AM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: Dagny]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
[quote=Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
A key to my car camping zen is this 12' x 12' screenroom (Eureka Northern Breeze). My tents come and go but this screenroom is the mainstay of basecamp. Shelter from bugs and rain (including withstanding a tropical storm that broke one of my tent's poles). 1" shock-corded aluminum poles that connect at a 4-way hub. I can put this up in 15 minutes by myself. I also have the optional snap-in floor. Each wall can roll up or be used as an awning.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___26300

It's so big I've arrived at camp in thunderstorms, put up the screenroom and then set up my tent inside the screenroom.

I'm curious as to why you would find the need to put up the tent within this particular screenroom? Was the downpour that heavy? It seems that this model once completely outfitted would serve adequately as a tent in its own right, sans a little privacy.

I've seen others use a tarp as the first setup and then setup the tent beside it so that the entrance to the tent is given complete cover.

#248707 - 07/18/12 02:33 AM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: MartinFocazio]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-PHRAS...amper_at_b.html

The solutions for this problem is fairly simple. Don't camp under trees with large branches. They are frequently referred to as "widowmakers." A properly maintained campground will prune their trees of such hazards.

#248709 - 07/18/12 02:56 AM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Raindrops on canvas (or nylon) are wonderful. Chunks of wood are the opposite of wonderful. In the last while, I have found good reason to echo Martin's discomfort.

One of my favourite campsites (in a national park) had a microburst come through a couple of years ago. Dozens and dozens of honking big spruce trees were snapped off at 3-4 feet and laid down neatly in the same direction.

One of these was right across the place where I had set up my tent the year before.

Now, I make it a practice to scan for large dead branches or trees -- the classic widowmakers. But I had the opportunity to look at the carnage. No rot or damage to these trees: they were healthy, solid, and in the prime of life.

I will still go camping, including in this place. But nature peeled a layer of smug off of me, right then and there.

#248713 - 07/18/12 03:38 AM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: MartinFocazio]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
My point of view is the old joke: Camping, for me, is staying in a hotel without a pool.

I think I am in love with the idea of camping; not camping itself.

#248721 - 07/18/12 06:07 AM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: Dagny]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I've enjoyed camping since I was 8 years old. Even in bad weather I'm happy as long as I'm properly equipped for the conditions. The only time I bailed-out early was this past February when the weather turned worse than predicted: temperatures in the 20's, strong gusty winds blow ing wet snow horizontal, there was no relief but inside then tent. And to me, camping isn't about the tent, it's about what you do outside the tent.

I gave up backpacking for the most part several years ago. Between my back and my knees it just wasn't any fun. I had plenty of through-hiking with 35-40lbs of gear and food on my back, and the trails were getting too busy and camping restrictions so tight, scenic locations trashed with broken glass, garbage and graffiti, that the peace and serenity just wasn't there anymore. I still manage to find places to camp that aren't overridden by folks looking for an excuse to party-up and be obnoxious; I just drive to those places now instead of hiking.

The side effect of driving is it's easy to increase the amount of gear you carry. One backpack turned into two duffel bags, a folding table and chairs. The two-man 4lb tent turned into a three-man 8lb tent. The rain poncho that doubled as shelter for my kitchen was replaced with a 20x20 tarp and poles. Then add a portable grill, two-burner stove, pots and pans.... Soon I was packing a carload of "essential" gear. And if I wanted to bring one of the kids (now all young adults and usually traveling with at least one friend) and the dog, I had to use a utility trailer to leave room in the Jeep for passengers. I enjoy basecamping, but all the packing and unpacking was a chore I could do without, particularly for some of the jeep club events where we'd change camping locations every day.

My solution was to build a micro-camper with many of the same features as a teardrop. But time and money have been interfering. A few weeks ago I found a 35 year-old Coleman pop-up camper on Craigslist for $500. The camper is in amazing condition for its age.

I still plan on building the micro-camper, because even with the pop-up there's still some time and effort required for setup. But now the pop-up is always packed-up and ready to go, just add fresh food and ice. As a result I've been out camping every weekend since, and am enjoying the trips much more. Even in the rain (and boy did it rain on my inaugural trip).

And once in a while I still head out minimalist and hike a few miles from the car to get away from everything. It's just that there's no real spots like that left in my area. If I'm going to drive most of a day to go camping, I'm more inclined to make it a longer and more comfort-oriented trip.

EARPLUGS: I keep a package of earplugs in my camp kit as well as airplane carry-on. Crowded campgrounds and hotels are equally annoying when noisy neighbors are nearby or in the hallway. These earplugs enable a good sleep and lessen the temper.

Sage advice. As a snorer, I always pack earplugs for any unfortunate tent-mates or neighbors with our group. Personally, I plug in the earbuds from my iPhone and play music at low volume. A very handy thing when the whippoorwills start singing at 5AM when my target wake-up time is closer to 7.[/quote]

A key to my car camping zen is this 12' x 12' screenroom (Eureka Northern Breeze). My tents come and go but this screenroom is the mainstay of basecamp. Shelter from bugs and rain (including withstanding a tropical storm that broke one of my tent's poles). 1" shock-corded aluminum poles that connect at a 4-way hub. I can put this up in 15 minutes by myself. I also have the optional snap-in floor. Each wall can roll up or be used as an awning.
It's so big I've arrived at camp in thunderstorms, put up the screenroom and then set up my tent inside the screenroom.

I first saw this done (setting-up a tent inside a screen room) a few years ago at a 4-day jeep club off-roading and camping trip. It rained heavily the entire trip, and many suffered with wet tents and sleeping bags. One fellow setup his tent each day inside his screen room and not only kept his gear dry, but had enough room to setup his kitchen inside.

Someone else on the trip observed he had a tent for his tent. Thus the "tent-tent" name was created. The only negative is you are cooking right outside your sleeping area, so this isn't a good solution for locations where bears or other animals might be attracted to the smell of food.

I also admit to enjoying the sound of rain on the tent, and love watching a good thunderstorm. But cold or hot temperatures and constant rain can wear down anyone's enthusiasm. As I said, I did all that man versus miles stuff in my younger years and don't get excited about proving my trail toughness anymore.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 523 Guests and 87 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.