Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#248181 - 07/08/12 09:35 PM Re: New mini brass quick light type fire starter [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Guys, I know a lighter or ferro rod would be better but it seemed like an alternative to a spark lite. I guess I was wrong.

#248182 - 07/08/12 09:39 PM Re: New mini brass quick light type fire starter [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Guys, I know a lighter or ferro rod would be better but for one handed use this seemed like a alternative to a spark light. I guess I was wrong.

#248199 - 07/09/12 01:46 PM Re: New mini brass quick light type fire starter [Re: Stephen]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Stephen
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
...I make my poormans sparklites from dead lighters I find when running or walking. They're free, tiny and work well...

You don't really take old lighters you find along the road as trash and put them into survival kits do you? who knows how long they have been sitting there rotting away. Why take the chance on something when a fresh,new lighter is so cheap?

I think this is a good point. The thing that makes a Bic spark is a very small ferro rod. Ferro rods oxidize and degrade from exposure to certain environments. Why risk it when a fresh, new one costs $1... and includes butane? grin

#248223 - 07/09/12 07:05 PM Re: New mini brass quick light type fire starter [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I see several improvements to a regular spark lighter (as in the DR Kit) in that one, besides the stronger brass construction. The grinding wheel looks larger. That means it will be easier to rotate and it will produce more sparks at a time. The bottom screw for the flint installation is what I had to improvise on my DR sparklite. It's very easy to replace flints and also you can throw in at least 2 of them into the tube (3 if you shorten the spring a bit) - that's enough to forget about replacing them for years.

Bic lighter is nice thing while fueled, but its weak sparks (especially on a worn out one) are not good enough for natural tinder you can find in the field. Sparklite, on the other hand, produces a lot of really hot sparks to light up even a wet tinder. Just let them dry it a little by sparking over the same area several times.

My only concern with this lighter is corrosion. It looks like it is made of 2 milled pieces set tight on a thin wall tubing. These joints may fail very quickly in wet climate and the lighter will fall apart. I would coat it in epoxy paint at least or use solder iron over joints.

#248234 - 07/10/12 12:15 AM Re: New mini brass quick light type fire starter [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Bill_Mead Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs,Florida
I like these a lot, Thanks for posting.

#248279 - 07/10/12 07:21 PM Re: New mini brass quick light type fire starter [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Not to hijack this thread but I want to remind everyone of more alternatives in the area of firestarters .

I got a few (free) flint strikers like this one

... as well as a ton of spare flints.

I stashed them in several of my kits.

Although this striker is considerably larger than a sparklite and such, but it can be included in most kits (except Altoids can) like a Maxpedition pocket organizer or larger. You can put it and fill the spaces between its arms with other stuff.

Oh, I removed the cup and exposed the striker surface for better contact with tinder. The shower of sparks is not that bad and replacing flints is not difficult either.

#248375 - 07/12/12 02:56 AM Re: New mini brass quick light type fire starter [Re: Stephen]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I test each one and they are reliable. As for old I run that same route three or four times a week so they've only been there a day or two. The original tic tac kit I built for an adventure junkie held one and sparked three fires in the jungle with no problem. Why destroy a perfectly good lighter with lots of guaranteed flame to get a spark device? That's a Ranger Rick trick I simply do not agree with. Thanks for the question Stephen.

#248377 - 07/12/12 03:05 AM Re: New mini brass quick light type fire starter [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey Glock.
I obviously don't use a corroded flint and part of my process is to coat them in silicone spray, allow them to dry before reassembly. As for failing, I ha ve had Glocks fail on me several times. I can understand picking up a strange one in the field and having it fail, but my own weapon? I have several Glocks simply taking up space in a safe because I don't trust my life to them. Just my opinion.

#248406 - 07/12/12 12:43 PM Re: New mini brass quick light type fire starter [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
I test each one and they are reliable. As for old I run that same route three or four times a week so they've only been there a day or two. The original tic tac kit I built for an adventure junkie held one and sparked three fires in the jungle with no problem. Why destroy a perfectly good lighter with lots of guaranteed flame to get a spark device? That's a Ranger Rick trick I simply do not agree with. Thanks for the question Stephen.

Where do you run and find discarded lighters on such a regular basis? I am lucky to see maybe 1-2 discarded/lost lighters per year even in a large metro area. Even then it is not worth the hassle, time nor chance to rely on a found lighter of questionable provenance to use in an urban or wilderness PSK...

John Lubbock

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.