Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#247979 - 07/04/12 07:15 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: UTAlumnus]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
I've seen several options for carrying spares.

1 Check out the spare carrier from Surefire. It's heavy plastic with a seal & will hold four batteries. They also make a six cell model
2 A Pelican case with foam
3 Battery Holder
4 Unsealed Case

For times where getting it wet isn't a factor, I'm using options three & four.

When water proof is needed, the spares carriers are more compact but carry fewer cells.

Thanks a bunch. That 6-cell holder looks just about right. I am going to check with local sources first.

#247980 - 07/04/12 07:56 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I carry a Fenix LD10 and a fauxton. I use the fauxton wherever it's sufficient and keep the Fenix battery fresh. Fenix has newer AA flashlights that are smaller than the LD10. Overall, I'm quite pleased with Fenix. By the way, I prefer a push-button and a clip. So, my options are limited.

#247983 - 07/04/12 08:52 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
By the way, last Christmas my wife bought me and the kids Brinkman Armormax 1 AA LED flashlights - on-line they sell for about $14, and they are really excellent little lights. From an optical perspective they have a nice bright white smooth light - much better than I had expected when I got them.

Their info says they are waterproof to 1 meter and drop-proof to 3 meters. They are made of reinforced nylon and they do have o-ring seals.

They'd be a tad bulky for pocket use, but I thought I'd mention them.

#247984 - 07/04/12 08:56 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
for AA cell storage (more than water proof carry), a 2" diameter small 3 1/2" tall pill vial works pretty well... also use a smaller diameter one to hold one flash drive in the car's glove compartment...with a wrap of teflon tape, it probably would be water resistant for a period of time...

#247986 - 07/04/12 09:24 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I just noticed something a bit strange with my Fenix LD10. I just tried turning it on after a couple months of non-use. (As stated above, I use a keychain fauxton whenever possible.) A "fresh" battery was sitting in there for a couple months. The flashlight would not turn on at all. I took the battery out and reinstalled. The flashlight now works fine again. The memory feature must have gotten confused somehow. So, you should at least turn on your flashlight for a split second every week or so.

By the way, don't be cheap with batteries. Use high quality lithium batteries. They are so much better than alkaline. The extra expense is worth it.

#247990 - 07/04/12 10:51 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
By the way, don't be cheap with batteries. Use high quality lithium batteries. They are so much better than alkaline. The extra expense is worth it.

Plus they don't leak and ruin the flashlight.

#248002 - 07/05/12 04:02 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
FourSevens and Fenix are two excellent contenders for high-quality and reasonable-cost in flashlights. I've owned a number of different models from each. I have less experience with EagleTac, but the one flashlight of theirs that I have is top-notch. Six or seven ThruNite Ti flashlights have passed through my hands; they are similarly excellent.

Coin-cell flashlights (such as the Photon Micro-Light II) are tiny, light, and great for the keyring. The batteries may be harder to find when you need them, and of course they don't perform as well as larger flashlights. I have a few secreted in kits and I'm constantly giving away "fauxtons" from DealExtreme, but I don't carry one on my keyring.

1xAAA flashlights are my ideal for keyring carry. There are models out there that have amazing performance for their size and cost, AAA batteries are easy to find, and they're not terribly bulky. I carry a FourSevens Preon ReVO (sadly discontinued) as my backup light.

1xCR123A flashlights are my workhorse for pocket carry. They're shorter than AA flashlights and outperform them. Some folks carry them on a keyring, but not me.

When I'm giving a flashlight as a gift, especially for a non-flashaholic, I tend to select 1xAA or 2xAA form factors. Non-flashaholics don't want to buy "strange" batteries, and certainly the AA is the easiest of all to find. They also provide excellent storage density compared to AAAs. This is the size to go in your pocket (as a non-flashaholic) or your glovebox.

For a BOB I would go with 2xAA or 2xCR123A. Pick a battery and stick with it. AAs are abundant and work in lots of devices, CR123As give you better flashlight performance.

I've stopped buying alkalines completely. Rechargeables are great for a light you use a lot, but for a kit I always use lithium primaries. They last a long time in storage, have amazing storage density compared to alkalines, and don't leak. Other than cost there's nothing not to like.

#248077 - 07/07/12 12:21 AM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada
I think reading more of the thread and looking at whats available I might need to make an adjustment. I definitely want a small flashlight for EDC. The Fenix LD01 is perfect for me and much smaller than the one I have (that fyi just died lol). I need something because I come in late at night from work. I definitely want a headlamp for either the car, the in my "toolbox" or both…

I've ALWAYS had problems with rechargeables. I've tried all the brand names and they work for a few months but after they last a fraction of their supposed life. Even the high Mh (2k+) are pitiful. I wouldn't mind cr123a as long as there's a noticeable difference.

I've had a photon, and a few smaller ones. My favorites for battery/output were inova.. But they are nice as spares mostly.. Or in rare cases of needing a "beacon light"
I think for the BOB I want something that'll fit in a "magazine pouch". I'm looking at some maxpedition bags and a double sheath pouch that, hopefully, would hold a good 1-2x AA/CR123a light and my leathermate multi-tool for quick, easy access to each.

I'll stop in again tonight when I get home again, and post my picks so far..
Thanks again for posting

Edited by freeballer (07/07/12 01:23 AM)

#248079 - 07/07/12 02:42 AM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada
Not really on topic but the light is an effort to remake or update my EDC and BOB.

I bought some new tools as well; a mini "prybar" keychain. It has some wrench holes and a nail puller. A new multi-tool; Leatherman Squirt PS4.

Also needed some more paracord. Wish there was an army surplus store nearby..

#248081 - 07/07/12 04:14 AM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: freeballer
...I'm looking at some maxpedition bags and a double sheath pouch that, hopefully, would hold a good 1-2x AA/CR123a light and my leathermate multi-tool for quick, easy access to each.

Nite-ize makes a pouch specifically designed to hold a flashlight and multi-tool together. It's a tad on the large side (I have the big brother version to this one) but really well made.

www.niteize.com

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.