Originally Posted By: Montanero
I have had Gore-Tex lined boots from a variety of companies: Danner, Scarpa, Lowa, Vasque, North Face, etc. I always wore out the soles before the uppers or the Gore-tex lining showed much wear at all. They are great for cold and wet conditions. I generally use them year around, my feet sweat in sandals so the Gore-Tex is no worse, just a bit warmer. I look for the durability of the boot and how well they wear on my feet. everyone is different, so you have to do a bit of discovery learning to see what works for you. My favorites were Vasque and Scarpa.
I pretty much agree with this. I live/work/play in an environment that is more often wet and cold, and think highly of GoreTex boots. That said, I occasionally get the chance to hike in warm climates, and since I own mostly GoreTex boots, that's what I mostly use there also. So far, hot feet have not kept me from doing what I want to do.

For any boot, GoreTex or not, fit and construction are crucial. If boots don't fit right, they won't work well for you no matter what they are made of. Fit is of course highly personal. And if they aren't well made they won't last long. Well make boots generally are more expensive. As I get older, I find I like light weight boots a lot. However, making boots lighter almost inevitably involves some compromises with durability. Just means I have to replace them a bit more often.

As Montanero notes there are a variety of manufacturers, and what works best for one person might not work for another. Lately I've found I really like boots and shoes from Oboz. They give me a good fit, and seem to hold together well.