The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247536 - 06/26/12 07:24 PM Revamping my keychain
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
It’s about time I revamped my keychain and I am looking for items to add to it. After searching keychain on the forum, and with my own input as well, I’d like to include:

- keys (of course)
- LED light (looks like it will be my new Fenix EO1 I just got – in fashionable purple no less which means now I’ll have to buy the matching purple man-bag laugh )
- Peanut Lighter, split pea lighter, or a firesteel i.e. my BSA hot spark (I’m currently EDC-ing a mini-bic but either of these look like a viable and reliable back-up if needed)
- Pill fob to carry some tinder quick and maybe some other items
- Whistle

Some maybe items are:
- Mini-sized scraper or pry bar
- Small knife (thinking of either a small single blade like a spyderco ladybug, or a small victorinox SAK)
- P-38
- Compass
- Writing utensil
- Roll of Duct tape (as seen here: http://www.itstactical.com/intellicom/diy/solutions-for-the-every-day-carry-of-duct-tape/ ) although a flat roll of duct and electrical tape around a credit card and placed in my billfold might make more sense

I don’t want my keychain to turn into this:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3258/dsc00693tz.jpg

but on the other hand I’d like to have some minimal useful gear on it. Any suggestions for brands on these items and/or other items I have overlooked are welcomed.

Left out an obvious item: nail clippers

Edited by Mark_Frantom (06/26/12 07:46 PM)
Edit Reason: Forgot

#247538 - 06/26/12 08:57 PM Re: Revamping my keychain [Re: Mark_F]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I've taken a different approach with my keychain. On mine I carry the following:
  • Keys
  • Leatherman Squirt PS4
  • 4Sevens 120db Ti whistle
  • 4Sevens ReVO in a leather sheath

I do carry a small amount of duct tape, a split pea lighter, and a compass as part of my minimalist commuter kit in my laptop bag. I carry a pen separately as well as having a few in my bag.

The PS4 is incredibly useful, well as filling the bottle opener, can opener, nail clipper, and backup knife role in addition to the obvious. I use it frequently. The ReVO is the best 1xAAA flashlight I've found, and it makes a great backup to my primary EDC flashlight.

The chances of me needing firemaking while commuting are slim to none but the split pea lighter is so easy to carry I threw it in the bag. If I felt like I needed firemaking on my person the split pea is smaller and easier to use than a firesteel plus tinder.

My keychain carry is customized to my needs, so please don't take this as criticism.

#247540 - 06/26/12 09:20 PM Re: Revamping my keychain [Re: Mark_F]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Mark.. I'm probably a lot older at 64, and a heart attack is more of a reality, so my pill fob really carries pills...couple of aspirin and immodium... I broke the plastic Fox whistle, and now carry a nickle plated brass referee whistle, P38,and Fenix E01(be sure to power it with lithium)on the key ring...water pouch/ClO2 pills and some tape/bandages in wallet,... small Leatherman Juice in a belt pouch with section of saw blade/needle/safety pins....I decided I needed light more than fire, so exchanged space occupied by a Bic for a Streamlight flashlight...1/8" firesteel and petroleum/cotton in a section of a plastic straw...

I'd hate to do so, but if I really, really needed a pry bar.... I carry a pretty good folder, either a Benchmade Aries or Reeve Sebenza

after reading Chaos'... I would recommend the PS4, but don't abuse it like I did mine... need to send it back, snapped off the jaws trying to twist with it

Edited by LesSnyder (06/26/12 09:24 PM)

#247546 - 06/26/12 11:33 PM Re: Revamping my keychain [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mine is very simple and light: fauxton light, metal tube whistle, pill fob with Ibuprofen, keys, clip.

#247550 - 06/27/12 12:26 AM Re: Revamping my keychain [Re: Mark_F]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
If you want to carry a writing utensil, the Inka Pen looks like a good option though I have not tried it.

http://www.writeanywhere.com/inkapen.html

Jeanette Isabelle

#247555 - 06/27/12 03:38 AM Re: Revamping my keychain [Re: Mark_F]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I actually carry my keychain in my left front pants pocket, so it needs to remain minimum. Currently I have on it are keys, SOG crossgrip, 47 revo stainless, and a countycomm pry bar. Had a BSA hotspark but took it off.

With the amount of stuff in your list, it could turn into the behemoth you are trying to avoid pretty fast.

#247559 - 06/27/12 05:38 AM Re: Revamping my keychain [Re: Mark_F]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
My EDC keychain for urban carry is pretty minimalist. I carry my keys, a small LED light (aka "Fauxton" type), and a Spyderco Ladybug in ZDP-189.

#247561 - 06/27/12 08:08 AM Re: Revamping my keychain [Re: Mark_F]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

SAK midnight manager - blade, scissors, phillips and regular screwdrivers, nailfile and bottle opener, plus a red LED light (sure I've seen a white LED version but can't find it now) and a pen all in one.

None of these would be my first choice tool, but it is a lot of backup/redundancy in one tiny package.

http://www.mindyourfingers.co.uk/P1791.html

#247565 - 06/27/12 01:29 PM Re: Revamping my keychain [Re: bigreddog]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Another vote here for the PS4, which has replaced the SAK Classic I carried for years and years. Along with it, I have a peanut lighter, a Fexix LD01, a Countycomm prybar, and a container for cash - oh, yes, also house and car keys.....

#247570 - 06/27/12 02:31 PM Re: Revamping my keychain [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
If you want to carry a writing utensil, the Inka Pen looks like a good option though I have not tried it.

I liked my Inka, but I ended up replacing it with a Fisher Bullet that I carry separately from my keychain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 476 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.