The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#246534 - 06/02/12 02:06 PM Back up compass
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
The other day while hiking I noticed that my Suunto M2's magnetic needle seemed to be broken. The needle would just hang up and not move.

So my question is, can that be fixed?

What kind of a back up compass do you carry?

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

Edited by Outdoor_Quest (06/02/12 02:07 PM)

#246535 - 06/02/12 03:28 PM Re: Back up compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My back-up compass. Not in hand yet, should have it this week. I was wondering how they got all that functionality in a watch and then realized that a 51mm case diameter and 14mm case thickness can hold a lot of capability. My G-Shock is about the same thickness, but only ~45 mm in diameter. I need to work-out more so I don't tire out wearing that thing. wink

#246538 - 06/02/12 04:21 PM Re: Back up compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
For your Suunto compass problem, contact the Customer help line. They offer great support and if the problem cannot be fixed, I would not be surprised if they don't send you a new compass.

As for a backup compass, I have tried various brands and models but came to the conclusion that my main compass which is the Suunto M-3D Leader should also be duplicated as my backup compass. These compasses are accurate, well crafted and have survived hundreds of miles of back country adventures in all types of weather conditions.

In the ever unlikely event that I lose either of the M-3D Leader compasses, I also carry a smaller Suunto A-10 compass.

Standard disclaimers apply...

John Lubbock

#246542 - 06/02/12 06:50 PM Re: Back up compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
widget Offline
Addict

I am sure Suunto support will fix you up on the broken compass. The main compass I have is a global needle Suunto MC1G, it is the same as the MC2G except it is a military model with metric map scales and mils on the dial along with 360 degrees. No source available now. Pretty much the same as this model:
http://www.thecompassstore.com/mc2gmetric.html

My backup is one of the small Silva (Sweden) models that used to be called a Huntsman. Bruntom sold them in the US after Silva USA changed their line. Here is a link to a Silva Sweden one, like mine.
http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/662-Silva-Ranger-SL-Compass/
http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Compact-Mi...754&sr=8-40

Edited by widget (06/02/12 06:56 PM)

#246547 - 06/03/12 12:23 AM Re: Back up compass [Re: widget]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My back up compass is a Casio model wristwatch, similar to Russ's, but significantly cheaper - somewhere around $50. It keeps excellent time and seems accurate enough when I have checked the compass function. Amazing how much they can pack into small packages these days.

#246628 - 06/04/12 05:52 PM Re: Back up compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
That reminds me, I need a new backup compass smile

I did have a Timex with an electric compass that fit this role but after one failure resulting in a warranty replacement and a subsequent catastrophic failure while wearing it in an office environment, I switched to a (hopefully) better watch without this feature.

I do have a pin-on globe style compass on my large pack which is kind of nice. Like this, but an older model I think:

I keep it pinned to my shoulder strap and can glance down at it to verify my general direction of travel. I might just pick up another one of these for my day pack, although I guess it really won't be much help if I actually needed to follow a specific bearing.

Actually, I'm wondering if something like this would be a better idea: Navigator Compass

#246646 - 06/05/12 12:50 AM Re: Back up compass [Re: Denis]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Thank you for the link.

Blake

#247439 - 06/25/12 04:51 AM Re: Back up compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I just picked up a Coghlan's wrist compass at Bass Pro and I think it will do the trick for now.

That's it slid on to my 20mm watch band and it seems like its big enough to fit up to a 22mm band.

#247446 - 06/25/12 01:34 PM Re: Back up compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Pete Offline
Veteran

backup compass = small GPS unit !!!

I just use 2 different technologies.
The chances of both failing are very small.

After that, I don't carry a "backup of a backup of a backup".
That just creates too much gear. You get bogged down.
Instead, I focus on knowing my gear, buying reliable stuff, and trying hard not to lose it :-)

just my $0.02

Pete2

#247451 - 06/25/12 02:39 PM Re: Back up compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I always carry, usually a small Silva plate compass and a watch band compass. I actually use the watch band compass more than the larger primary one. I am usually just getting general directions. Here is an option soon to be released:
NavElite

The guys who built it are old friends of mine, we served together. I have been following the development of this since inception. I have no other affiliation, however. I will likely get one to try it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 527 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.