The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247478 - 06/25/12 09:28 PM other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada
I thought I'd take a chance of posting here. I'm trying to learn more traditional skills like bow making, flintknapping. I have bought a couple books and dvds. But I'm looking for local shops, sources, groups.. I'm in Canada, atlantic area.
I was hoping someone here might steer me in the right direction. Google has been no help so far. Does anybody know of any traditional skills, survivalist shops/groups in Canada I could contact. And does anybody know how to find out good places for flintknapping materials/tools?

Thanks for stopping by

#247489 - 06/25/12 11:29 PM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: freeballer]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Freeballer,

I don't have a source for flintnapping, but for other traditional skills (mostly woodworking stuff) consider these:

workwearcanada.com is Canadian owned and offers some traditional crooked knives, old school flint and steel etc. The owner is a real solid dude and has a very good rep with all those he deals with. Orders over 100 bucks ship free within Canada.

crazycrow.com is and American company selling mostly native type stuff (beads, feathers etc) but they do have an excellent selection of raw leather, horn and other things worth taking a look at if wanting to craft a few knife sheaths or the like.

I shoot traditional recurve but I couldn't imagine the skill needed to properly make one of any value. Good luck, that would be a huge accomplishment indeed.

Not exactly what you asked, but I hope it helps.

#247492 - 06/26/12 01:07 AM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: Stephen]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Great sites, Stephen-thanks
primitive archer website is a good place to look, too. Many museums offer classes in traditional skills, too. good luck-

#247541 - 06/26/12 09:26 PM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: freeballer]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Try www.bushcraftusa.com .good people and a good site....

BOATMAN
John

#247732 - 06/30/12 05:01 AM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: freeballer]
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada
thanks
those sites did help.

I ended up buying a few supplies (tools) and a book. I'm not sure of success or failure but it should be interesting. The forum so far has been helpful too but still searching before posting.

#247734 - 06/30/12 06:39 AM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: freeballer]
Stephen Offline

I shoot a recurve while hunting and my use of a firesteel is as skilled as anyone I know. That unfortunately is the limit to my ancient knowledge. I would like to perfect other skills but I just can't find the time (or desire) to spend countless hours flint napping an arrowhead or carving a spoon.

That being said, good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

#247738 - 06/30/12 07:29 AM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: freeballer]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A few phone calls may unearth an unlikely source: the archaeology department at your university.

I have read numerous stories of researchers who learn flint knapping skills (based on found tools) and apply them to green bone, to discern whether marks on the bones of ancient remains are of human origin. Very interesting stuff.

Others here can no doubt comment with authority on the subject.

#247739 - 06/30/12 11:40 AM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: freeballer]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
I've picked up a few odd skills as an historic reenactor (Colonial- French & Indian/Seven Years War). You may find groups up there that are more NA than Euro.

Mark Baker has a section on flintknapping in his Pathfinder video #1.

#247749 - 06/30/12 03:21 PM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: freeballer]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Really good flintknappers are highly skilled, and typically have spent years perfecting their craft. Modern flint workers can replicate any of the older, highly intricate points perfected in the past. If you know what you are doing, making a point usually takes very little time - perhaps five minutes or so.

Then there are the rest of us. We can get by at a much more basic level. Take rock, hit it with something hard. Sort through the pieces and find one with a suitable edge. Use it (it will dull rapidly). Discard and hit rock again. Repeat as needed.

A lot of cutting was done with random scraps of flint, obsidian, or whatever was around that are virtually indistinguishable from natural bits. They are quite effective. One of my professors carved up an unexpectedly deceased circus elephant with such "tools" and the job went quite well.

The trick is having suitable rock. Good chipping material is quite rare, highly valued, and was often traded over long distances prehistorically - obsidian from Yellowstone has shown up in Illinois and Ohio. You may have to work with less desirable material. It happens that some of the best material to knapp is glass - it is more uniform and predictable than most natural stuff.

There is a reason why metal knives were a popular trade item to group depending upon stone cutting tools. Metal is stronger, more durable, and holds an edge longer than stone.

Frankly, I would not put a lot of emphasis on flintknapping as a survival skill. The easiest way today to obtain a flint knife or arrow head is to find one discarded or lost in the past. It is even easier to carry the cutting instrument of your choice.

#247756 - 06/30/12 04:47 PM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: hikermor]
Stephen Offline

Originally Posted By: hikermor

Frankly, I would not put a lot of emphasis on flintknapping as a survival skill.

I wouldn't either, but the same could be said of traditional firemaking. Some people just enjoy it as a hobby as opposed to a critical survival skill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 492 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.