Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#247134 - 06/16/12 09:18 PM Now that I bought it, how do I use it?
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71R3Yc7ewAL._AA1500_.jpg

The Eze-Lap diamond sharpener. The instructions that came with it are not enough for my poor brain to run with.

"Lay blade flat on diamond surface ... elevate blades spine slightly ... rub in a circular motion ... periodically alternating sides."

OK. I'm not sure what that "rub in a circular motion" is supposed to mean. I must be stupid. I think I was envisioning a tool where you hold the knife in one hand, and then scrape the sharpening tool along the edge with the other hand. But that doesn't appear to be what the instructions are describing. I'm confused. The website doesn't offer any more detailed instructions. A video demonstrating how to use this thing on their website would be nice, but they don't have one.

#247137 - 06/16/12 10:02 PM Re: Now that I bought it, how do I use it? [Re: haertig]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
That instruction sounds like generic version for the flat stones, not the rod you have.

Just do it the way you envisioned, or slide your edge along the rod as if you are sharpening a pencil.

#247141 - 06/17/12 12:49 AM Re: Now that I bought it, how do I use it? [Re: haertig]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Your sharpener looks similar to this one which comes with a visual demonstration.

Jeanette Isabelle

#247142 - 06/17/12 01:06 AM Re: Now that I bought it, how do I use it? [Re: haertig]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
you now own a small round file. no magic involved: rubbing it against steel removes some of the metal. If you are skilled at holding it at a consistent angle, you can get a great edge. If less skilled, only a good edge. it helps to look at the edge under a lighted magnifier, and sculpt accordingly. I recently tried a smith sharpener system and it does better than I do freehand.

#247143 - 06/17/12 01:35 AM Re: Now that I bought it, how do I use it? [Re: nursemike]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Thanks everyone.

Jeanette - Yes, that's how I would have expected to sharpen with this rod. I still wonder what those folks at Eze-Lap mean by their instructions saying "circular motion".

The standard "slicing, drawing" motion is what I will use. I tried that a little bit ago with a Mora Clipper I have that is used around the house (cutting boxes, etc.) so it dulls quite easily. I got it pretty sharp with the rod. Not shaving sharp, but I really didn't expect that. The rod is small (about 5 inches long) and my freehand sharpening technique had always been just OK, never great. A longer rod would help in aquiring and maintaining the correct angle while sharpening, but would not be portable.

But this small sharpening rod will fit my needs perfectly. I plan to include it in my BOB for emergency field use, not use it every day.

#247144 - 06/17/12 02:15 AM Re: Now that I bought it, how do I use it? [Re: haertig]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: haertig
"Lay blade flat on diamond surface ... elevate blades spine slightly ... rub in a circular motion ... periodically alternating sides."

"Rub in a circular motion, periodically alternating sides"? That's what my wife orders me to do when she's frustrated with me! Maybe I'll have her take a look at your sharpener.

#247150 - 06/17/12 05:35 AM Re: Now that I bought it, how do I use it? [Re: haertig]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
You can use a diamond rod in all sorts of ways. It's just an abrasive. It does what it does. And it's only as good as the user. What works for you is what works.

Using a circular motion is a valid technique when using a large blade on a small stone. You hold the stone steady, choose your angle, and move the blade in small circles, sharpening a portion at a time. When you can feel the blade grab the stone a little, you move to the next section of the blade. This method gives you a lot of control, a more consistent angle, and a pretty good "feel" for the status of the edge.

But if it's just a minor touch-up on an existing edge, you might use it more like a kitchen steel. Especially if you're adept at maintaining a consistent angle freehand (which most people don't do well).

#247161 - 06/17/12 04:04 PM Re: Now that I bought it, how do I use it? [Re: haertig]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have had one of these for years. I like it and it is easy to carry. I use it just like any stone, even thought it is round.

#247164 - 06/17/12 04:47 PM Re: Now that I bought it, how do I use it? [Re: gonewiththewind]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I lost it along the way somewhere but I had a similar item once. I used to lay the diamond file on a flat surface like a desk top and cut into it with the knife blade. Worked about as well as anything else I had tried.

Bob

#247203 - 06/18/12 01:56 PM Re: Now that I bought it, how do I use it? [Re: haertig]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: haertig
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71R3Yc7ewAL._AA1500_.jpg

The Eze-Lap diamond sharpener. The instructions that came with it are not enough for my poor brain to run with.

OK. I'm not sure what that "rub in a circular motion" is supposed to mean. I must be stupid. I think I was envisioning a tool where you hold the knife in one hand, and then scrape the sharpening tool along the edge with the other hand. But that doesn't appear to be what the instructions are describing. I'm confused. The website doesn't offer any more detailed instructions. A video demonstrating how to use this thing on their website would be nice, but they don't have one.

Haertig,

"circular motion" is an effective way to remove metal-
1st step in sharpening it remove metal. Instead of picking the knife up, moving it to the other end of the block, make a circle.
1) it removes metal in all directions, not just one.
2) you do not risk losing the angle by picking up your hand
3) it is easier to make sure you touch the full edge
4) you get a unique pattern to the metal removal. This makes it easier to see the pattern when you change from metal removal to setting the edge.
Keep in mind, you still need to make sure you remove the same amount of metal from both sides- When I use this, I will do the same number of circles on both sides.
I prefer to do this type of sharpening with a stone, as you get more surface area, but it applies to a rod as well.

Once the metal is removed to the point that a burr is forming on the FULL EDGE when you finish the circles, you move from metal removal to setting the edge. At this point, raise the angle VERY SLIGHTLY, any pressing lightly, use straight strokes in the direction of cutting, alternating sides.

Getting geeky- your metal remove is creating the primary bevel, the straight stroke are creating the micro bevel.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.