Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#247299 - 06/21/12 02:13 PM Re: A journey towards better home security [Re: Bingley]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Criminals are a varied lot. Some do a logical cost-benefit analysis before acting, some don't. Some are so whacked out that they will leave your wallet, but eat your face. Crime deterrence by stand-your-ground legislation does not seem to be dramatic, if it exists at all. If the increased probability of an armed victim fails to discourage crime, it doesn't seem likely that talismans like door locks or video cams will do so. Compared to most of the world, we live in a fabulously safe country with excellent access to cheap, pure water. Nevertheless, we invest heavily in security systems and bottled water.
If we took the money we spent on ADT, Smith & Wesson, and Evian, and spent it on _______ (insert your least favorite liberal social justice program), we could do more good and less harm. Or maybe not, cause the social justice programs have not eliminated crime, either. Beats the heck out of me. YMMV.

#247300 - 06/21/12 03:57 PM Re: A journey towards better home security [Re: Phaedrus]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I have two dozen IP cameras around our compound. Three months after I installed the system I saved myself over $5,000 dollars after one incident.

On weekends, we train dogs at our property. People come from all over the area to train with us. I don't know everyone who trains with us that well, although everyone fills out a waiver with contact information. On one occasion, one of our guests did a significant amount of property damage while backing up with their truck, damaging a gate and controller. I found the damage after everyone had left for the day. Of course nobody fessed up. I pulled up the camera footage for the day and found the 'friend' who did the damage. I told him that he is either going to call his insurance company, or I would call the police. The situation worked out well. I got a check from his insurance company and had the damage repaired. Without the camera system, I would have been SOL.

FWIW here are a few things that I have learned as I set up my own systems:

Avoid wireless systems. They are unreliable over the long haul, even for short distances.

Put multiple cameras on 'hot spots' using different angles.

Always have a camera that can take a good face shot in addition to cameras positioned for 'overview' images.

If you rely on motion sensor to trigger recording, error on the side of higher sensitivity. Hard drive space is cheap.

Test your system. Verify that it is recording as needed.

Review footage from an entire 24 hour period. Make sure cameras aren't facing directly into the sun at dusk/dawn.

A great piece of software to tie feeds from multiple IP vendor's cameras together is http://blueirissoftware.com/8.html. It's inexpensive and awesome, IMO. No affiliation, just satisfied customer.

#247344 - 06/22/12 02:31 PM Re: A journey towards better home security [Re: Phaedrus]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
+1 on everything Gary said. Additionally, pay careful attention to the camera's low light capabilities. Even the low lux cameras do not do well in total darkness without some type of IR illumination. Additional IR illuminators and/or standard lighting may be necessary to get acceptable images.

#247510 - 06/26/12 12:28 PM Re: A journey towards better home security [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Lots of great ideas here! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

#247523 - 06/26/12 03:27 PM Re: A journey towards better home security [Re: Phaedrus]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
OK,my biggest threat are the druggy types looking for a quick haul of easily sold items.

1-A fence.That'll slow em down

2- A dog

3- Another dog

OK,guess they will just head on down the road,an easy fast target isnt my place,many far easier.

As for the armed gang invasion,good luck.

I prep for the most likely,not the esoteric,I have no illusions Im Rambo when a gang with auto weapons wants in and storms the place at 3am.Ive played the Marine games,you are not stopping them in suburbia.

That said,never been burgled or attacked as long as Ive had big dogs.I was a burglary victim early on when there WASNT a dog defense.

I learned,first and foremost is DOGS in my book.

Edited by spuds (06/26/12 03:33 PM)

#247841 - 07/02/12 12:34 AM Re: A journey towards better home security [Re: Phaedrus]
Pete Offline
Veteran

1. I agree that the general idea of "making your home unattractive" goes a long way towards a solution. Most criminals seem to be pretty lazy - and don't feel like carrying heavy gear over high fences :-)

2. One suggestion - just improvise a loud alarm system that is triggered by a handhald (radio) button. If you think you've got intruders - hit the alarm. If the alarm is battery powered then it still functions even if they have cut the power to the house. Look at it from their point of view - would you really stick around once a loud arlam went off? It would be a big risk, because for all you know the police may already be responding. Chances are that they will bail out quickly. And if they don't - you can move to a well-prepared standoff location and defend yourself from there. It's better for you to choose your "fortress", rather then trying to take them down on the fly.

Pete2

#247846 - 07/02/12 01:05 AM Re: A journey towards better home security [Re: Phaedrus]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Pete's post reminded me of an old thread on here somewhere about keeping your car key fob handy as a panic alarm. Always thought that was a good idea...

#247861 - 07/02/12 05:42 AM Re: A journey towards better home security [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good suggestions! I have a couple days off around the 4th, so I plan on doing a bit more security work then.

#247862 - 07/02/12 12:04 PM Re: A journey towards better home security [Re: spuds]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
+1 on dogs. Plus they are great hiking companions and if they have thick coats, they come in handy when you are out of dinner napkins....

#247895 - 07/03/12 04:59 AM Re: A journey towards better home security [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't really have a schedule compatible with owning a dog- the poor pooch would get pretty neurotic waiting for me to come home! Otherwise I'd love to have a Yorkie & a Westie.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 643 Guests and 148 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.