The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#246613 - 06/04/12 11:34 AM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: Arney]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Interesting device. I wonder how much suction is really required though. I can just imagine being worn out/tired/exhaused, then trying to suck the equivalent of a milkshake through a coffee stirrer.

And the lack of filtration to viruses could be problematic. Ie, polio, hep A, JC and BK viruses... though all relatively rare. Though typically the bacterial and protozoan stuff is more worrisome.

#246618 - 06/04/12 03:04 PM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: Teslinhiker]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
I thought that information would of been useful or interesting but I guess not.

I am sorry. I think you took my response in the wrong way. Not as I intended. I was justifying the LifeStraw for use in a BOB. You listed some valid problems with it for third world country disaster relief. But I'm not looking at it for that. So I simply meant to show how those concerns don't bother me, for my intended BOB use of the product.

Honestly, I was not trying to be snarky. If you have read any of my other posts, you will agree that I am usually very wordy. So this time I thought I would respond more concisely, and in-line with your other comments (I rarely, rarely do an in-line response). I was trying to keep from boring people with my usual wordiness, not to be snarky. And I apologize that it came off that way. That was not my intent.

I really do think this LifeStraw is a neat item for a BOB. Where it would be used infrequently, during emergencies, by people who are generally educated enough to understand how to use it properly, by folks who generally make enough money to easily afford to buy a few for their family, that live in families that are generally healthy enough to not have to worry about cross-contamination from their own family members. I can't comment on it's practical use in third world countries other than to say it's far better than nothing for the poor folks that have to worry about bad drinking water every day of their lives.

#246620 - 06/04/12 04:26 PM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: haertig]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
ramdom thoughts:

while it might be perfect for emergency back-up and storage in mini survival kits simply by virtue of being small/light and being used instantly, if its like other "straw" filters:

-they're only used for direct-drinking
-cannot be used for cleaning cooking water or washing water
-clog easily
-cannot be cleaned
-do not kill viruses (not much of a problem in US/Canada)
-often fairly delicate
-usually have a high cost per gallon (although at 1000L is amazing if true and it doesn't get clogged up along the way...)
-once used it remains wet inside with no way to dry out
-isn't as effective as some other methods

not saying it doesn't have a good use, just a limited one.

#246622 - 06/04/12 04:53 PM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: wileycoyote]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Since Giardia is a big concern in the US and person to person
is how a lot of it is transmitted, one should be very careful
if this is used by more than one person.

#246623 - 06/04/12 05:01 PM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: clearwater]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Since Giardia is a big concern in the US and person to person is how a lot of it is transmitted, one should be very careful if this is used by more than one person.

Are you saying getting giardia from cross-contamination is MORE of a risk with the Lifestraw than, say, some pump? Because giardia is generally not transmitted mouth-to-mouth AFAIK. It is primarily oral-fecal, so any object you share with someone could conceivably be contaminated, like a cup, not just a Lifestraw.

#246624 - 06/04/12 05:12 PM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: wileycoyote]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
The manufacturer does recommend backwashing by blowing water out of it at least daily (it was designed primarily to be used daily, after all). However, the flow rate from one of their online docs does show a flow reduction over time, which is certainly not unexpected for a sealed product like this. The backwashing probably mostly clears sediment from the more coarse pre-filter portion on the tip. Not sure if it does much for the interior parts.

I read another doc where a lab did test up to 1,600L (so 160% of rated capacity) through the Lifestraw and I believe the purifying performance was still satisfactory at that point IIRC.

#246643 - 06/04/12 09:42 PM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: Arney]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Possibly, as you put your mouth directly on the same part of the
equipment as everyone's hands would go. You may be more
careful with a cup, since from childhood we are aware of drinking from cups and the hazards of sharing. One
would more likely hold a cup by the handle not the lip.
A pump type filter would somewhat more isolate germs carried
by the hands.

Sharing a filter or cup of any kind may actually put one in
more hazard of getting Giardia than drinking straight from
some sources.

Wash your hands in any case.

#246651 - 06/05/12 06:06 AM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: Arney]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I ordered one. I'm a believer in boiling but I do carry chlorine dioxide as well. This will be another potentially useful tool for the toolkit, and will be handy to have with me.

#246654 - 06/05/12 07:12 AM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: Arney]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Just like the redundancy of fire making gear/knowledge,you really can't have Too much,as far as Lifesaving hydration is concerned & What would one carry in place of this Lifestraw?It obviously isn't going to be a burdensome displacement of other gear,& plenty more knowledge gained.Plenty cheap enough as well,being layed-up in a hospital isn't much fun at all nor cheap! wink

#246817 - 06/10/12 01:09 AM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: Arney]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Just got mine in the mail. They are VERY light... I'd like to find some sort of protective container to put them in so I can throw it in my bag without worrying about it getting damaged

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 260 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.