The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#246907 - 06/11/12 05:11 PM Insect Repellent
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Yes, I actually spend some time outdoors. The problem I run into is insect repellent. It’s better than getting eaten alive but I have this sticky film on me. Is there an insect repellent that is not so sticky?

Jeanette Isabelle

#246909 - 06/11/12 06:15 PM Re: Insect Repellent [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
The repellent to use depends on the type of activity you are doing outdoors and the season. When hiking through the woods in fall season, for example, I would prefer an insect net over my face.

#246911 - 06/11/12 06:34 PM Re: Insect Repellent [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
The type of activity may vary. What is constant is that in Texas mosquitoes are at their worst in the summer.

Jeanette Isabelle

#246926 - 06/11/12 09:47 PM Re: Insect Repellent [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great question, Jeanette.

I've never found a bug juice or sunscreen for that matter, that doesn't have that sticky residue feeling. Sprays, pumps, wipes, goop... I've had the same luck with each one I've tried. I'd love to hear about one though. I'm not a big fan of that feeling and my young Scouts even less so.

As an alternative to sprays or a bug jacket, I try to wear long sleeves and pants when I'm in bug territory. A good head net is my friend when I'm in the thick of it.

Those mosquito coils and lantern things seem to work ok for a limited area. We tried those wrist band things a couple of years ago without much success. I've heard good things about those Thermacell electronic repellent thingies but haven't tried them yet. http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#246928 - 06/11/12 10:01 PM Re: Insect Repellent [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

I've never found a bug juice or sunscreen for that matter, that doesn't have that sticky residue feeling. Sprays, pumps, wipes, goop... I've had the same luck with each one I've tried. I'd love to hear about one though. I'm not a big fan of that feeling and my young Scouts even less so.

I only use the OFF Skintastic spray in the pump bottle. It works well for me and my SO.

As for the sticky residue feeling. Those Baby Wipes that everyone should carry in their backpack or PSK also serve to first wipe your face, exposed neck, arms, legs etc to help clean off any body oil, dust etc which causes the stickiness of the bug spray.

After you have done the Baby Wipe routine and dried, now apply the apply the bug spray and you will find that the sticky feeling is greatly reduced.

John Lubbock

#246929 - 06/11/12 10:26 PM Re: Insect Repellent [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Lately the only repellent I'll use is Cutters Advanced, which is Picaridin based.

I HATE DEET since it dissolves plastics and feels terrible.

I find Cutters Advanced to be fairly effective, but it needs to be applied more often than others I've used. I definitely prefer how it feels and like that its safe for my gear.

#246935 - 06/11/12 11:48 PM Re: Insect Repellent [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
You should try Permitherin.It is an clothing treatment and therefore no film on you.Sawyer is one brand and can be found in most outdoor sections of major chain stores(Wally-mart,K-mart,Meijer,etc.).I have seen skeeters and ticks jump off as fast as they can.Clothes treated will work for three week or six washings.....

BOATMAN
John

#246939 - 06/12/12 12:50 AM Re: Insect Repellent [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I saw some at costco that claims to be not sticky, going back to pick one up tomorrow.

#246945 - 06/12/12 01:46 AM Re: Insect Repellent [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

I only use the OFF Skintastic spray in the pump bottle. It works well for me and my SO.

As for the sticky residue feeling. Those Baby Wipes that everyone should carry in their backpack or PSK also serve to first wipe your face, exposed neck, arms, legs etc to help clean off any body oil, dust etc which causes the stickiness of the bug spray.

After you have done the Baby Wipe routine and dried, now apply the apply the bug spray and you will find that the sticky feeling is greatly reduced.

Thanks, Teslinhiker!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#246947 - 06/12/12 02:06 AM Re: Insect Repellent [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I stay away from repellents. I had a very expensive watch MELT off my wrist after I put on a 10% DEET "Off" some years ago. Any manmade materials, which a lot of us use, are quite sensitive to DEET.

More then one person on various forums has claimed this but I have yet to see any photos posted to bolster the claim.

I have a couple of old watches with one that has a broken plastic band and the other, the face is scratched up enough that it is no longer readable. Time for some testing...

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.