The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#246555 - 06/03/12 03:16 AM Lifestraw finally available
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I've been following the development of the Lifestraw water purifying "straw" for a number of years now. Highly portable, no moving parts, no batteries or power required, rated for 1,000L--sounds great, right?

It's been used successfully in Third World countries to reduce the burden of disease in these places by making clean water available. However, until recently recently, the Lifestraw was not available for retail sale and was only being distributed through aid organizations. Apparently, now they can be purchased. Anyone try these out yet?

It seems that the technology behind the Lifestraw has changed over time. The previous version used iodine-impregnanted beads as the primary purification method. There seems to be little to no info out on the actual technology in the current version, but it now seems to use some form of microfiltration membrane (think "reverse osmosis membrane" but with a larger pore size). The vacuum of sucking water through the Lifestraw is enough to move water through the membranes without any iodine taste that I assume the prior version imparted to the water.

#246556 - 06/03/12 04:10 AM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: Arney]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I don't have one, but Amazon has it for $25: http://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Personal...6002&sr=8-1 .

#246560 - 06/03/12 05:57 AM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I was just looking at water purification systems for a bug-out-bag. And here comes this thread, perfect timing! Thanks!

#246563 - 06/03/12 06:13 AM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: Arney]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Looks like just cysts and bacteria, not virii, unless I'm reading it wrong. I'd rather have it than nothing but probably best used in conjunction with chemical treatment.

#246565 - 06/03/12 06:32 AM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: Arney]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
A chemical treatment takes time, iodine has a normal treatment time of
20min. Unless the iodine is in the water that long it is not dead, just passing thru an iodine bed will not kill the cooties.
IMO
The best bet going is the hollow fiber type unit, IIRC Sawyer was the first but all the major's have one now and all likely made in the same room. I bet hollow fibers are at the heart of the newer LifeStraw.

#246578 - 06/03/12 05:29 PM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: frediver]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

I just ordered two!

They are cheaper if you buy them direct from the master North America wholesaler, "EarthEasy". $19.95 each, $2.95 shipping for one, $3.15 shipping for two (to my Colorado address).

http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw

Buried down on that webpage is a blurb that says to send email to info@eartheasy.com if you want to be notified when the larger "LifeStraw Family" is available for purchase, expected sometime mid-2012.

#246592 - 06/04/12 12:00 AM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: Arney]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
i have mentioned previously that my SO was overseas doing NGO aid work in 3rd world countries for some years. Her take on the straw (and other similar products) is that although the straw probably does work as advertised, the downside is that these types of methods are slow and singular especially when you consider how much potable water a person needs per day. Also the fear of human cross contamination is a big factor as these straws are probably not stored nor sanitized and probably used by more then one person despite precautions. My SO also mentioned the cost of the straws. Even if they were $7-$10 per, there are not many aid agencies that could afford to equip hundreds or thousands of people with these straws as other mass water purification methods are much cheaper and more efficient on a large scale.

My take on the straws for what we would use them for is the real lack of advance use. Meaning that although you can safely drink through the straw as needed. it does you no good if you need to travel with water stored in bottles. Whereas other treatment methods allow you to treat water as needed and also that treated water then can be stored in bottles and taken with you and used where there may be no other replenishable water.

John Lubbock

#246598 - 06/04/12 01:52 AM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There is no perfect technique for purifying water, but I will continue to boil - it definitely takes care of the biological pathogens.

#246601 - 06/04/12 03:47 AM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: Teslinhiker]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
...the downside is that these types of methods are slow and singular especially when you consider how much potable water a person needs per day. [which makes no difference, IMHO, for an emergency water treatment system to put in your BOB] Also the fear of human cross contamination is a big factor [I would never kiss my wife if cross contamination were a major concern of mine] as these straws are probably not stored nor sanitized and probably used by more then one person despite precautions. My SO also mentioned the cost of the straws. Even if they were $7-$10 per, there are not many aid agencies that could afford to equip hundreds or thousands of people with these straws as other mass water purification methods are much cheaper and more efficient on a large scale. [but I can afford $7-$10, even the $20 that they are asking - I'm looking to equip my BOB, not the entire continent of Africa]

My take on the straws for what we would use them for is the real lack of advance use. Meaning that although you can safely drink through the straw as needed. it does you no good if you need to travel with water stored in bottles. [that's what MicroPur is for - drop a tablet in the bottle and purify as you go, or, fill your bottles with unpurified water for carry and use the LifeStraw to drink from your bottles] Whereas other treatment methods allow you to treat water as needed and also that treated water then can be stored in bottles and taken with you and used where there may be no other replenishable water.

Personally, I think these LifeStraws are a fantastic device offered at a very inexpensive price.

#246602 - 06/04/12 04:19 AM Re: Lifestraw finally available [Re: haertig]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
My opening comments were based on your initial comments in the first 2 paragraphs of your original post....and also based on my SO's real world experience in 3rd world countries where water sanitation is a real challenge. I thought that information would of been useful or interesting but I guess not.

As for the effectiveness of the straw for personal use, that is up to the end user to decide. You posted and posed a question. I shared my thoughts on a possible shortcoming of the straw that perhaps others may not think of when purchasing these. If you don't appreciate my thoughts nor my SO's valuable experience and resorting to reply in such a snarky manner, then I will drop this forum...

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 262 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.