The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#246278 - 05/24/12 10:08 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
It just goes to show that picking a bag for yourself is a intensely personal decision with a multitude of factors. Its also what makes talking about them so great.

#246284 - 05/25/12 05:42 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
comms hit the nail on the head,"intensely personal"
behind me at the moment are the two Duluth Packs i'll be taking on my two week canoe solo.i have been packing for these trips since the early 80's and while i have the general idea down pat every year it seems new all over again.
it's not the big stuff like the tent and sleeping bag it's the small stuff.should i take my good working knife,the Mora 2000,or go with the somewhat fancy Karesvando with the Birch handle. a simple Gaz burner and some carts or a classic Primus stove for fun and photos.i was on the phone with a East Coast Buddy a few days ago and he was of the same mind.take of leave a few feet of copper wire "just in case"
packing the BOB's and the EDC's are just as bad,if not worse,because with them there is no going back..

#246290 - 05/25/12 04:09 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Canoedogs,

I took out my canoe kit (also my BOB) last weekend to get some stuff out of it. Mine is also in two Duluth style packs, one about 35 years old (a Camp Trails) and one (from Cabela's - a waterproof one) is only a couple of years old. For the canoe or use in camping from light aircraft I think they are still a great choice. Since mine is set up for a 2 week trip, it also is a great BOB if long carries are not anticipated.

Where is your trip headed?

Day packs are very personal. I like top opening with a few pockets and VERY tough (I carry rocks and lots of equipment).
My everyday one is an old 2800 cu. in. Kelty day pack with a few mods (mostly the addition of a back pocket for an ensolite pad). The 3 pockets (two side for water bottles and one top) are great to me.

I do have a 24 hr SAR bag that is a medics pack from London Bridge Trading. A great pack with lots of pockets. Easy to access the gear (especially FA stuff) through the panel opening. Tough. Expensive (if you buy new, I got mine second hand - near new for a lot less). Heavy. Very comfortable.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#246293 - 05/25/12 04:47 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: JerryFountain]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Jerry..i'll be up on Lac La Croix in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.it's as far north as you can get in the USA and a huge lake with 100's of islands.i'll be portaging thru several small lakes at some point to get back into a "permit only--one issued only"
remote lakes area.that is the only place i worry about a survival problem as i'll be the only person back in there,it's a solo trip.with the heavy rains the rangers may not be flying as many fire watches.i have been back in there before so i know what to expect.

this is my Duluth Pack.i take another one without the side pouches as a food and cooking gear bag.yes i hang it away from bears.the pack may look heavy but it's just the bulk of a sleeping bag,clothes,rain suit..that sort of thing.

#246320 - 05/26/12 09:11 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: clearwater]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: clearwater
I like the looks of the larger packs posted, but they all look
short. Even ordered a couple of the LL bean packs, but the waist
belt is up around my navel.

Any packs with a usable hip belt out there? Other than full on
multiday backpacking versions?

I bought a Snugpak Sleeka Force 35 from Botach Tactical, on discount for $55. It's dark brown, a bit darker than "coyote" color. Seems solid, fairly simple, good waist belt. Runs 35 liters (hence the name), but you probably get 2-3 of those with the side pockets. Seems good in the one day so far I've used it, very comfortable. I'm 5'8, and it sits just about perfect on me. I would estimate you could use it as a 72 hour bag if you packed light - say, 3 MRE's, fleece jacket, and nylon pants would probably take about 3/4 of the main pocket. A 1-liter Nalgene would fit in each side pocket, with maybe a little room to spare. For the price it was worth the gamble.

#246321 - 05/26/12 09:49 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: clearwater
I like the looks of the larger packs posted, but they all look
short. Even ordered a couple of the LL bean packs, but the waist
belt is up around my navel.

Any packs with a usable hip belt out there? Other than full on
multiday backpacking versions?

The best and most supportive waist belts will be on the "multiday backpacking versions'" typically 70 L and up. After all that is the size range where the waist belt is really needed. Many packs come in different sizes and/or can be adjusted so as to fit a wide range of torso sizes. It might be worth your while to visit a quality, specialized outdoors store and get fitted for a backpack. The belt should fall well below your navel, obviously.

#246329 - 05/27/12 04:11 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: CANOEDOGS]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Jerry..i'll be up on Lac La Croix in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.it's as far north as you can get in the USA and ......
smile Ahem......last time I checked, Alaska was still part of the USA, and is a good bit further north than the Boundary Waters. I'm pretty sure you really meant ".....in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.it's as far north as you can get in the lower 48 USA and ....." smile

#246332 - 05/27/12 05:47 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: AKSAR]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Without even looking,I'm fairly certain Vermont,New Hampshire,Maine,& The upper peninsula of Michigan are a tad further North,as well.If I'm wrong,It won't be the 1st time nor the last,I'm sure grin

#246335 - 05/27/12 06:43 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Jerry..i'll be up on Lac La Croix in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.it's as far north as you can get in the USA and ......
smile Ahem......last time I checked, Alaska was still part of the USA, and is a good bit further north than the Boundary Waters. I'm pretty sure you really meant ".....in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.it's as far north as you can get in the lower 48 USA and ....." smile
Although, even as an Alaskan, at times I do wonder if Alaska is really part of the US. As a well known author so aptly put it:

"Alaska is a foreign country significantly populated with Americans. Its languages extend to English. It's nature is its own."
- John McPhee (from 'Coming Into The Country')

#246339 - 05/27/12 12:51 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: AKSAR]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Although, even as an Alaskan, at times I do wonder if Alaska is really part of the US. As a well known author so aptly put it:

"Alaska is a foreign country significantly populated with Americans. Its languages extend to English. It's nature is its own."
- John McPhee (from 'Coming Into The Country')

Alaska, like Hawaii, is extremely unique. I'm sure the sudden change from the 48 contributes to it. While the 48 has some pretty amazing places, the gradual change in topography probably blunts some of the 'wow' factor. Ie, I can see the Rockies coming from 100 miles away.

Great quote though. I might have to steal it!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.