The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#245530 - 05/02/12 12:17 PM Iphone topo aps for field use
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
critical review here

I adore the concept of outback connectivity and such, tho I have not made the leap to iphoniness yet. I still struggle with the conversion from laying printed matter out on a table to get the big picture versus flipping between screens on the computer. The battery life issues seem to be addressable through spare battery, solar and manual generator technology. Any thoughts?

#245554 - 05/02/12 09:34 PM Re: Iphone topo aps for field use [Re: nursemike]
drahthaar Offline

I haven't used the program referred to in that link, but I have used Motion X GPS on my iPhone and it is terrific. No problem with crashes. You have to download the area maps where you will be if you will be out of cell contact, but the download is quick and intuitive.

Battery use is an issue, but there are lots of portable power supplies.

The display and map detail is far superior to what I get on my Garmin 60. I did a side by side comparison of the app and my Garmin and accuracy was comparable.

#245556 - 05/03/12 12:53 AM Re: Iphone topo aps for field use [Re: drahthaar]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: drahthaar
I haven't used the program referred to in that link, but I have used Motion X GPS on my iPhone and it is terrific. No problem with crashes. You have to download the area maps where you will be if you will be out of cell contact, but the download is quick and intuitive.

Battery use is an issue, but there are lots of portable power supplies.

The display and map detail is far superior to what I get on my Garmin 60. I did a side by side comparison of the app and my Garmin and accuracy was comparable.

Agreed. I've done the same thing.

BTW, iPhones don't have a replaceable battery pack so you would need a charging system. I use a brand called Just Mobile that gives my iPhone a little over 3 charges when I get <5% charge left. Its generic so if you have the cables you charge anything that uses a USB plug.

I also prefer hand held maps, or basic GPS for distance and direction to target but iPhones have phenomenal apps for mapping. I geocache and only use my iPhone app for that now rather than my GPS.

#245564 - 05/03/12 02:57 AM Re: Iphone topo aps for field use [Re: nursemike]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Loving the potential, and I have invested in a battery pack suitable for 3 days of typical use as well as a solar charger. However as mentioned in the article it has a long way to go and just isn't ready to replace a standalone GPS or map and compass. I'm the type who believes it will never be though, with my luck even if the technology matures I'd end up dropping my phone and breaking it lol

I still think it would be amazingly useful to be able to store and cache an area on google earth on your phone for offline use (say 10 mi x 10 mi max zoom and another few miles moderate zoom) that would work with GPS (either manual entry or through phone gps) to find your location on the map. Then you can literally have a birds eye view of the area you're in. If weather is bad, what's down that trail to the left? The right? Oh an abandoned cabin! lol

#245567 - 05/03/12 03:42 AM Re: Iphone topo aps for field use [Re: Burncycle]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Burncycle

I still think it would be amazingly useful to be able to store and cache an area on google earth on your phone for offline use (say 10 mi x 10 mi max zoom and another few miles moderate zoom) that would work with GPS (either manual entry or through phone gps) to find your location on the map. Then you can literally have a birds eye view of the area you're in. If weather is bad, what's down that trail to the left? The right? Oh an abandoned cabin! lol

Although I don't have an iPhone, I do have an Android based phone which allows Google Maps to be auto cached offline. This is a handy feature as the cached area can be be significant in size and it also captures satellite view data.

With Google maps version 5.7 or higher, there is also the built-in functionality to cache user specific map sections for offline use. In summary, you long press on a spot of the map you want to cache then select an option that will then cache a 10 square mile offline map to your phone. I have not played around with this feature as much and appears it only caches street map data and not terrain or satellite view data.

And while these are both nice features to have, I would not bet my life on either as like anything electronic, the phone/batteries could fail at the worst possible time and right when you may need it the most.

John Lubbock

#245583 - 05/03/12 04:57 PM Re: Iphone topo aps for field use [Re: nursemike]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I recently replaced my 2000ma LiPo USB battery with a 10000ma model that's about twice the size. It also can recharge my iPad, which the smaller battery could not do.

Being able to cache Google Maps would be an outstanding change for iPhone and iPad.

I've really liked iTopomaps but recently it's had some stability problems. Hopefully those will be resolved soon. I like what I'm seeing in MotionX, and at the price I plan to try it soon.

As much as I love my gadgetry, I don't go into wild places without a paper map and a compass. I'll fire up my GPS and drop a waypoint for sure, but after that I usually turn it off.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 299 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.