The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#245582 - 05/03/12 03:22 PM Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I just saw an interesting new article called Another Night to Remember about the Costa Concordia cruise ship sinking. Some lessons here I take away:

Some people will behave well, some badly.

Individuals can make a huge difference.

Stay alert, stay on top of what is happening.

If things don't seem right, they probably aren't right, no matter what you are being told.

Try to stay in shape. Even a small extra bit of physical fitness can make a huge difference, for people of any age. Don't neglect upper body strength.

Check out exits, where safety gear is located, etc, as soon as you board.

#245586 - 05/03/12 05:40 PM Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster [Re: AKSAR]
BBQ_Pork Offline
Stranger

Loc: Scappoose, OR
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Some lessons here I take away:

Some people will behave well, some badly.

Individuals can make a huge difference.

Stay alert, stay on top of what is happening.

If things don't seem right, they probably aren't right, no matter what you are being told.

Try to stay in shape. Even a small extra bit of physical fitness can make a huge difference, for people of any age. Don't neglect upper body strength.

Check out exits, where safety gear is located, etc, as soon as you board.

You are absolutely right.

If you're traveling with a spouse or children, make sure that they also know where the emergency exits are. "Hey kids, first one to tell me how many emergency exits there are gets a quarter."

#245592 - 05/03/12 09:20 PM Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster [Re: AKSAR]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California

Yes, except my lower body is the part that needs more of my attention. As I get older, I'm getting more into calisthenics, stretching, and body weight exercises outdoors and in my home gym. I have a gym membership, but I go only about one day per year. With cardio, I have found it's important for me to pick activities I enjoy. For example, I'm not so much into running nowadays, but I do jump rope just about everyday.

#245601 - 05/04/12 09:38 AM Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thank you for the article. I am afraid it reinforces my lifelong aversion to crowds. I'll take my chances in the wilderness, alone or in a small group.

#245602 - 05/04/12 02:28 PM Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Thank you for the article. I am afraid it reinforces my lifelong aversion to crowds. I'll take my chances in the wilderness, alone or in a small group.

lifelong aversion to crowds wink there's a phobia for that, I've got it too whatever it is. When peeps say cruise I think of sailboats, I'm looking for one now, big enough for two over a week, but small enough to be sailed solo offshore. ...and cheap, did I mention cheap smile

#245611 - 05/04/12 05:47 PM Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Yes, I totally agree with that view. I've never sailed on a big cruse ship, don't ever plan to either. However, I think many of the things in that article are applicable to other situations.

Like it or not, I do sometimes find myself in analagous situations. I do for example fly on big commercial airplanes from time to time. Every single one of the take away lessons I listed in the OP apply to that situation as well.

For example: Some people will behave well, some badly.
I've been told that aircraft cabin crew are now trained to forcefully take charge of emergency situations. Shouting "EVERYONE LISTEN! YOU...OPEN THAT EXIT WINDOW! NOW!" or something like that. Experience has shown that people panic (or remain passive) because they don't know what to do. Having someone....anyone...forcefully taking charge and directing things helps a lot. If the person taking charge has some symbol of authority, such as a wearing uniform, that is even better.

Another example: Check out exits, where safety gear is located, etc, as soon as you board.
When I board an airliner, train, bus, whatever, I always try to remember to mentally note where the exits are, and how to operate them.

#245635 - 05/05/12 11:31 AM Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster [Re: AKSAR]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
>I have found it's important for me to pick activities I enjoy. For >example, I'm not so much into running nowadays,

i hate running so try and walk hills instead. by accident discovered an alternative yesterday when had to rush wearing steel toecaps. it's like running through treacle! ankle weights will give a walk the benefits a sprint.

qjs

#245681 - 05/07/12 02:53 AM Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster [Re: AKSAR]
Pete Offline
Veteran

the original post made me think of one thing.

there is a common theme that has happened across a variety of emergency situations lately. People in the disaster zone are told "not to worry" and that "things are not serious".

When the first airplane hot the World Trade Center on 9/11, people in the second tower began evacuating too. But they soon received instructions over the building intercom to remain calm and go back to their offices. I know someone who refused to obey those instructions ... which is why they lived.

During the problems at the nuclear powerplant in Japan after the tsunami, the news updates to the local public were wrong and/or deliberately manipulated to reduce the level of public concern. Actual radiation leaks were far higher than anyone was being told.

And the Concordia cruise boat is also an example where people were told to calm down and not to evacuate immediately after the ship hit rocks.

We live in an information age.
Ironically, all too often this information is being manipulated during real disasters to minimize the "public impact" of major problems, and to reduce the perception that authorities have no idea of the real situation.

Pete2

#245724 - 05/08/12 11:40 AM Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster [Re: AKSAR]
BBQ_Pork Offline
Stranger

Loc: Scappoose, OR

For example: Some people will behave well, some badly.
I've been told that aircraft cabin crew are now trained to forcefully take charge of emergency situations. Shouting "EVERYONE LISTEN! YOU...OPEN THAT EXIT WINDOW! NOW!" or something like that. Experience has shown that people panic (or remain passive) because they don't know what to do. Having someone....anyone...forcefully taking charge and directing things helps a lot. If the person taking charge has some symbol of authority, such as a wearing uniform, that is even better.

During my last CPR class, I was reminded that often a crowd will form around the person, yet no one will call 911, with each person thinking that "someone else" will or has.
So it's important to point to someone and say "YOU! Call 911!" in a stern, forceful voice to one specific person to snap them out of the stupids and into being useful.

#245729 - 05/08/12 06:15 PM Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster [Re: Pete]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Pete
the original post made me think of one thing.

there is a common theme that has happened across a variety of emergency situations lately. People in the disaster zone are told "not to worry" and that "things are not serious".

When the first airplane hot the World Trade Center on 9/11, people in the second tower began evacuating too. But they soon received instructions over the building intercom to remain calm and go back to their offices. I know someone who refused to obey those instructions ... which is why they lived.

During the problems at the nuclear powerplant in Japan after the tsunami, the news updates to the local public were wrong and/or deliberately manipulated to reduce the level of public concern. Actual radiation leaks were far higher than anyone was being told.

And the Concordia cruise boat is also an example where people were told to calm down and not to evacuate immediately after the ship hit rocks.

We live in an information age.
Ironically, all too often this information is being manipulated during real disasters to minimize the "public impact" of major problems, and to reduce the perception that authorities have no idea of the real situation.

Pete2

Do you think there's an unwritten rule of sacrificing a few for the greater common good?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 94 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:07 AM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.