Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#245558 - 05/03/12 01:21 AM Re: The $5 give away kit- advice? [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
MoBOB... I hate to admit it, but I've never been in a Dollar Store

Jackie... they would have some pride in ownership if they assembled the kits themselves, or even made things like the petroleum jelly cotton straws,

for most adults or trained Scouts, a Bic lighter... and some form of tinder if the fuel is expended, but striker still works, is probably the most practical

I'm gonna keep pushing the hacksaw blade till somebody agrees with me laugh

Right you are, Les. We're going to make survival kit building a special activity for them at our intro to Cub Scouts day this Saturday.

GO TO THE DOLLAR STORE! :-)

I like the sticker idea too. It, like some other things, would be best paired with a lesson on how to use it effectively. Basic fire building is a foreign concept to a lot of people, and the OP said no training/knowledge. A BIC is something most people know how to use, but I'd vote for a fire craft lesson to go with it.

I like the hacksaw idea. I saw some small ones for sale at a local flea market on the weekend and picked up a couple. Thanks for the tip!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#245562 - 05/03/12 01:56 AM Re: The $5 give away kit- advice? [Re: TeacherRO]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Waterproof matches and / or a dispasable lighter (along with tinder) are probably a more useful fire kit for the type of folk you are aiming your kit at.

A firesteel would be tricky for a first time user, "everyone" can use a match or lighter (which is why it is good to include both).

I'll add a "plus one" to the instruction sheet too. Very important to feel like you are doing the "right thing" when you are lost and worried

And I'd add some kind of hard sweets /candy too, nothing like a bit of sugar when you need it ! (Oops I see LesSnyder mentioned that too)

A bandaid or two

#245565 - 05/03/12 03:07 AM Re: The $5 give away kit- advice? [Re: TeacherRO]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Medical- medical tag/ID, antibiotic ointment, gauze, tape
Shelter- emergency blanket, cord
Fire- matches, mini bic
Hydration- iodine pills, quart ziploc freezer bag
Communication- Doug's survival instructions, safety plan, whistle, pencil/paper
Navigation- button compass
Nutrition- lifesavers ; )
Insulation- foam sit pad (cut from walmart blue foam)
Sun Protection- sunblock
Tools- scissors, bandana

#245568 - 05/03/12 05:20 AM Re: The $5 give away kit- advice? [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Here's a link to a kit I put together for my Cubs: A simple kit for kids. While it was specifically designed with kids in mind, I think a lot of the concepts carry over to anyone with an unknown skill level.

These kits came in at $10.50 per kit, but there were some good cost-saving suggestions made by other forum members.

#245576 - 05/03/12 11:40 AM Re: The $5 give away kit- advice? [Re: Denis]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What is going to count most heavily if a situation develops is "training or knowledge." A ten minute discussion could easily be the most important thing you could give them. More is better, perhaps along with a brief session on fire building, etc. Maybe something like a poster, prominently placed, summarizing important principles, would be useful - depending on your situation.

As far as hardware, I would keep it simple and concentrate on basics - matches, disposable lighter, and tinder plus a disposable poncho are the most critical items. When it comes to things like a compass, frankly I would spend more money, generally much more. When you really need a compass, you must be able to trust it completely - a cheap button gadget is not up to the task. You would be better off supplying a map, perhaps custom made for your locale, that shows prominent landmarks and handrails that will guide people to safety. Here again, training and knowledge are vastly more important than stuff. One thing I would encourage is the carrying of a small flashlight, like a Fenix E05, as EDC - comes in handy in many circumstances, not just lost in the woods scenarios.

#245578 - 05/03/12 02:06 PM Re: The $5 give away kit- advice? [Re: TeacherRO]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Depends a bit on the circumstances - are we planning for lost in the woods or urban crisis? Either way I'd suggest shelter, light, whistle, minor first aid are the priorities for the untrained - sit tight and wait for rescue. I'm not sure I'd encourage anybody who needs this sort of kit to try and walk out of a crisis with a compass for example

#245580 - 05/03/12 03:19 PM Re: The $5 give away kit- advice? [Re: bigreddog]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: bigreddog
Either way I'd suggest shelter, light, whistle, minor first aid are the priorities for the untrained - sit tight and wait for rescue. I'm not sure I'd encourage anybody who needs this sort of kit to try and walk out of a crisis with a compass for example

For this same reason, I'd likely omit any fire making supplies from this type of kit. I'd focus on signalling and shelter alone.

At its most basic, this type of kit could be:
  • large orange garbage bag
  • whistle
  • flashlight
  • home-made instruction card

Anything else would be gravy as I think this covers the basics for sheltering in place when lost / unable to make it back to camp in the wilderness (which is, as I understand, the main purpose of this kit would be).

If adding to the above list, I'd likely look at adding things which are either alternate methods for signalling or which would be psychologically reassuring to a lost person (for example band-aids or a small snack).

On the other hand, if scaling it down due to cost, realistically the light wouldn't be completely necessary (it is as much psychological as signalling in my mind). Also, for this reason I'd be more concerned with the quality of the whistle than I would be the quality of the light.

#246349 - 05/27/12 07:12 PM Re: The $5 give away kit- advice? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What I was thinking of;

Water bottle, map of area, tiny fauxton light, matches, trash bags for rain.
And whistle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.