The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#245181 - 04/22/12 05:26 AM Re: How to Die in a National Park [Re: hikermor]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
at the canoeing site when the subject of "how to die" comes up most everyone says it's the drive up they worry about and not the canoe trip.

#245183 - 04/22/12 05:57 AM Re: How to Die in a National Park [Re: hikermor]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Josey wales (fictional,but cool)"Dyin' ain't much of a livin'!Since this is Equipped to Survive,Shouldn't we be reading:How NOT to die in a National Park? OTOH,Most national parks are beautiful places,& to actually croak your carcass in one,by whatever means,has got to be better than say,getting flattened by a steam roller in Dumpwater,Delaware,Right?

#245188 - 04/22/12 10:45 AM Re: How to Die in a National Park [Re: Richlacal]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
OTOH,Most national parks are beautiful places,& to actually croak your carcass in one,by whatever means,has got to be better than say,getting flattened by a steam roller in Dumpwater,Delaware,Right?

I have recovered bodies from within National Parks, and from outdoor venues that were not National Parks. I doubt that locality makes any difference, although Grand Canyon does seem to be an intentional choice for many suicide victims. Some years ago the librarian at Grand Canyon, while on a solo hike, found a suicide victim hanging from a tree on the South Rim. Said she had finally found her man.

The main thing for me is the low incidence of animal attacks compared to the more common ways of dying - and that is all animal attacks, including honey bees. We obsess way too much about bears, although I would wager that if you are attacked by a bear, whether you are within or without a NP probably isn't very significant.

#245192 - 04/22/12 02:58 PM Re: How to Die in a National Park [Re: ducktapeguy]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
There's a couple of good books by Michael Ghiglieri detailing the deaths in two of the nations most popular parks, Grand Canyon and Yosemite. It supplies the statistics on the various causes of deaths, but more importantly they research the actual events that happened and provide a details on what led up to it. Some of the causes are fairly predictable, but others are somewhat unexpected.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=micael+ghigleri

The Grand Canyon book was very good.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Bingley, Jeanette_Isabelle), 265 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.