Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#244400 - 04/04/12 12:40 AM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: NightHiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Most of the time, I'll go with a tarp - light and versatile. When privacy and bugs are an issue, I'll take a tent, This is when I am on foot or ike touring. In a car, take it all.

#244417 - 04/04/12 11:55 AM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Between my 8 year old and the bugs and crawlies, I prefer a tent. We use a good 4 man, 3 season tent for family camping, and I keep a small, cheap 2 man tent in my Jeep for emergencies. I can easier add it to my GHB or our BOB in need be.

I carry a thermal sportsman blanket and an AMK bivvy in my hiking kit for an unepexected overnight shelter. I throw the little tent iinstead of the bivvy in the summer. In the winter I use a tube tent in addition to the blanket and bivvy, because I find it does a better job with the wind, rain and snow than the cheap tent, as long as we barricade one end. If I had the money, I'd upgrade to a better winter shelter but that's not in the cards right now.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244422 - 04/04/12 02:47 PM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: ]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have seen several DIY bivy designs made out of Tyvek house wrap. I have not gone and bought any house wrap just yet, but they are intriguing. as a lightweight tarp, Tyvek seems to me to be a better choice than a typical space blanket, if nothing else because you can make it big enough to be more useful.

Bob

#244424 - 04/04/12 02:57 PM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: ]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

There are some other very lightweight materials out there that people are using, like Cuben Fiber and silnylon. These are a bit expensive though.

#244441 - 04/04/12 06:00 PM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Tyvek = lots of noise. However, you can throw it in the washing machine for a couple of cycles to "soften it up". I researched using this type of stuff. The biggest issue is sealing the seams. Some have used 3M Super90 Spray Adhesive with good success. I would be reluctant to sew it unless you are proficient with French seams. Even with using them, you may still need to use some kind of goopy stuff.

Also, go to YouTube and check out Tinny's "Hasty Hooch". It may be an option.

Standard Disclaimer.

My $.02

YMMV

#244442 - 04/04/12 06:09 PM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Many on here seem to prefer a tarp as survival and camping shelter. What is your preference and why?
I think this is one of those cases where the universal answer applies: It depends! Both have their place.

Tarps are wonderfully versatile, and can serve many purposes. One can rig them for a shelter, use them to protect gear, hypo-wrap an injured person, use as a ground cloth....the list goes on and on. They can be lighter and more compact than a tent. Their light weight, compactness, and versatility make them attractive to carry as a survival item. On the other hand, they aren't always the optimal solution for many of those tasks. As a shelter they don't provide the best protection from wind. They don't keep the bugs and creepy crawlies out. Etc.

A well designed tent, on the other hand is highly specialized as a shelter. As such, a tent does a superiour job of protecting from the elements. They keep out the bugs and creepy crawlies. A good tent can be faster to set up than rigging a tarp as a shelter. But being so specialized, tents are less versatile. They do one job, but they do it well.

If I am planning on camping, I will generally opt for a tent. The climate can be challenging in my part of the world, even in summer. Alaskan mosquitos are legendary (and the legends are true, I might add wink ). If weight is not too big an issue (for example when sea kayaking), I will often carry our tent and a couple of tarps. One tarp gets rigged as a sort of porch in front of the tent, to provide a place to don or shed rain gear and muddy boots. The other tarp gets rigged some distance away as a cooking shelter, since in bear country it's a good idea to keep your food and cooking far from your tent!

Tarps and tents are just like other tools. Sometimes a Leatherman will do the trick, sometimes it's preferable to have a proper tool kit. It depends!

#244483 - 04/05/12 03:24 AM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: unimogbert]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thanks Bert. I'm assuming you have have an SUV type jeep. No way I could sleep in a a compact jeep, not comfortably. I'm too danged big.

#244484 - 04/05/12 03:26 AM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: clearwater]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Good points. Thanks clearwater.

#244485 - 04/05/12 03:29 AM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: NightHiker]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Poncho with a liner is a decent improvised bag if it;s not TOO cold.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (04/05/12 03:29 AM)

#244486 - 04/05/12 03:34 AM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey Jac. As always you have impressed this old geezer. I'm not that touigh anymore. I want a warm bag, mattress, tent and warm clothes to sleep in the winter. You always seem prepared for any emergency, I learn a lot fro, you. Thanls for responding.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 293 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.