Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#244841 - 04/12/12 09:55 PM Re: Long term food storage advice sought [Re: Mark_M]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
[quote=LesSnyder]........and I think there's a few pounds of venison in the deep freeze that might get the treatment once I get my formula down pat.

I want to try that, and I have about 75 pounds of lean venison on hand. Unfortunately, due to the gale-force winds during our 2011 deer season, it is still running around in the woods.

#244883 - 04/13/12 07:00 PM Re: Long term food storage advice sought [Re: Mark_M]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey Mark, thanks for all the well thought out advice. I truly appreciate and the time you took. Yes I have a large pond/small lake. I diverted part of the stream running through the property and have it well stocked with fis, crawfish, frogs, turtles and even large salamanders. All sorts of wildlife water there. There is a large coop but it is empty as I do not reside there. I would take stock and barn cats if we had to leave the ranch for there. There also bee hives there for honey, wax etc. I have been using the powerade bottles for grains, flour, sugar, salt, pasta and the like. They seem to keep the nasties out but they do have limited capacity. Thanks again.

#244884 - 04/13/12 07:04 PM Re: Long term food storage advice sought [Re: Mark_M]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

As for eating reduced meals I have cut back drasticly since I no longer have a need to carry around so much muscle. I usually eat once a day, sometimes twice. Yesterday I had a fistful of sunflower seeds and a few Good N Plenty candies. They were in the shop and I didn't feel like eating. So I can get by on smaller quantities.

#244907 - 04/14/12 03:31 AM Re: Long term food storage advice sought [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
As far as the food goes, we're operating on a store what you eat and eat what you store theory here. You've got lots of the dried food so why not start using it and rotating in new stock so your supply doesn't drop? That way you can get used to it, figure out recipes that you like, etc. Not to mention that it will help keep your stock fresher.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244912 - 04/14/12 03:59 AM Re: Long term food storage advice sought [Re: ]
Pete Offline
Veteran

i'm probably gonna just go to a 55-gal drum for water at my home.
incidentally ... i asked on another thread a long time ago. But never found the responses. who sells clean 55-gal drums in major cities?

anyway, if you really need water, then you probably need a lot over a period of a few weeks. think about the drum.

-------
Your avatar said ...
"Think Steven Segal. But more annoying and self centered. "

Is this possible ??? Hahahaha !!!

---------

Pete2

#244913 - 04/14/12 04:31 AM Re: Long term food storage advice sought [Re: Pete]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Pete
who sells clean 55-gal drums in major cities?

Pete2

Sam's Club
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#245995 - 05/18/12 04:14 AM Re: Long term food storage advice sought [Re: ]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
So, now that I've been making my own Jerky, I've been wondering what your experience is with long term storage.

So far I've turned 32lbs of beef into Jerky. Yield is about 7oz Jerky from 16oz of Top Round London Broil. The only problem is it lasts less than a week in my house. What's the secret of storing this stuff long-term? LOL, it's not going bad, we can't stop snacking on it.

Seriously though, how long will Jerky last in storage? Aside from vacuum-sealing it, what's the best way to extend the shelf life? O2 absorbers? I can throw it in the deep freeze, but if I loose power, how long would it be safe to eat?

#246009 - 05/19/12 01:11 PM Re: Long term food storage advice sought [Re: ]
ViamFec Offline
Stranger

Loc: USA
It is good to store a supply of water. In case of civil unrest, injury, etc where leaving the house may be problematic.

However water is typically used at such a rate that it is difficult to keep enough for a long term situation.

One key is to have a reliable, clean, natural source water that you can count on to remain viable even after a big disaster (a great reason to live in a rural area). Wells, natural springs that are filtered through hills, clear mountain streams etc.

Of course, treat all water before consuming it.

FireSteel.com
SurvivalTopics.com

#246015 - 05/19/12 10:54 PM Re: Long term food storage advice sought [Re: Mark_M]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have some commercially prepared jerky that is almost archaeological; I have consumed some packets that were at least five years beyond their expiration date. They tasted fine. Home prepped stuff may be different, but if it stays dry and was properly prepared, there isn't too much that can go wrong.

#246016 - 05/19/12 11:04 PM Re: Long term food storage advice sought [Re: Mark_M]
BBQ_Pork Offline
Stranger

Loc: Scappoose, OR
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
S
Seriously though, how long will Jerky last in storage? Aside from vacuum-sealing it, what's the best way to extend the shelf life? O2 absorbers? I can throw it in the deep freeze, but if I loose power, how long would it be safe to eat?

If you're vacuum sealing it plus freezing it, I can't help but think that the preservation effects would somewhat cumulative.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 228 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.