Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#244487 - 04/05/12 03:37 AM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: MoBOB]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

The pocket sized space blankets are noisy. And they ride up when you sleep in them.

#244488 - 04/05/12 03:39 AM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: AKSAR]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Very true. Thanks Aksar.

#244497 - 04/05/12 01:50 PM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Thanks Bert. I'm assuming you have have an SUV type jeep. No way I could sleep in a a compact jeep, not comfortably. I'm too danged big.

Standard Jeep Cherokee. Remove the rear seat cushion (leave it at home). Fold the rear seatback down. Put the bedding (air mattress & closed cell foam) catty corner so that your head is in a rear corner and feet are at a rear door. Move the front seat forward if necessary for a little more room.

I slept out a 2 day snowstorm at 10,000' one year very comfortably that way.

#244523 - 04/06/12 01:55 PM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Hey Jac. As always you have impressed this old geezer. I'm not that touigh anymore. I want a warm bag, mattress, tent and warm clothes to sleep in the winter. You always seem prepared for any emergency, I learn a lot fro, you. Thanls for responding.

HAHA!! Have you seen my mini u-haul style of packing? My sleeping on the ground days are far behind me too, Snake. I keep two thermarests and a sub-zero sleeping, along with two wool blankets, in my Jeep. I don't camp without them and carry at least a thermarest on a long hike.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244596 - 04/07/12 05:50 PM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: ]
ViamFec Offline
Stranger

Loc: USA
Also, tarps do not have as much of a condensation problem due to moisture in the breath, from the body, and sweaty clothing.

After a nights sleep in below freezing weather, the sides of a tent will release a shower of frost all over everything inside. Not a good start.

A tarp does not have nearly as much of a problem in that way.

FireSteel.com
SurvivalTopics.com

#244636 - 04/08/12 06:45 PM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
small light weight tents can be had for cheap and if you plan on staying for a while making a brush shelter over one would add more protection from storms.back in the 80's i went on two long solo canoe trips with just a tarp that i put over the canoe,Boy Scout style.by the end of the second trip,17 days,i knew i would have to invest in a good tent.bug,mice,rain,wind,dirt.i know people will say well you can set up a tarp to take care of those problems but that takes time and energy when pulling a tent from a sack and threading poles and putting in a couple wire stakes will give you a shelter ASAP.

#244665 - 04/09/12 04:07 PM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Virginia_Mark Offline
Journeyman

I have went back and forth over the years. Loving Tarps but thinking I needed a tent. After reading "Woodcraft" by Nessmuck (George Washington Sears), I am totaly in the Tarp camp now. Even in the fridged cold, a properly set up Tarp system in front of a fire will keep you warm and dry in almost any conditions. For me personally I just like being closer to the nature that I came out to enjoy, regardless of what she throws at me. I don't even own a tent at this point, I do own a $1,200 Kifaru Tipi (pictured in my avatar) that I Rarely ever use.

Edited by Run2The9 (04/09/12 04:09 PM)

#244783 - 04/11/12 04:41 AM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Woodcraft..great book it's in the bookcase a arms reach away.
i don't want to get on and on about tents and tarps but i think the term "properly set up" is the tricky one here.
i have set up a one man tent where the working floor space was not much bigger than my air mat and sleeping bag.wedged in between trees or with rocks or downed trees and brush the tent gave me fast all around shelter.to get a tarp up properly,and i have done it,means finding trees or whatever to run lines out to and tie off.wind is a major factor and the brush,rocks--whatever--could mean taking time to clear a spot for floor space to get the door down wind while a tent is up and thats that.
it also depends where your using it,part of the country your in i mean
in the north woods the bugs will eat you alive while maybe other places they are not so bad,weather is another factor of course.nice summer nights or damp cold rain coming in off Lake Superior.
i think we all know what works best for each of us and i don't think you could have a post about the best tooth brush without it running down the page----cut the handle down or not???---

#244791 - 04/11/12 01:02 PM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: Virginia_Mark]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Run2The9
a properly set up Tarp system in front of a fire

For survival use go ahead and make fire.

For regular camping, many places (National Parks - I've done a LOT of backpacking in RMNP) don't allow fire.

Does that change the equation for you?

#244793 - 04/11/12 02:45 PM Re: Tarp vs Tent [Re: unimogbert]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Originally Posted By: Run2The9
a properly set up Tarp system in front of a fire

For survival use go ahead and make fire.

For regular camping, many places (National Parks - I've done a LOT of backpacking in RMNP) don't allow fire.

Does that change the equation for you?

I hate fire bans. We've run into them a lot the last few years. Always check with the area authorities in advance, or bring back-up, especially if you need the heat or the cooking ability.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.