Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#244167 - 03/31/12 01:49 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: unimogbert]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
While the rules suggest the topic is acceptable, history of threads suggest it isn't because the slightest swerve gets the thread locked.

I will endeavor to never speak of them again on this board.

While it does appear that way to me as well, at least to some extent, I am inclined to say what I think keeping in mind that the owner of the board has put people in place to enforce what he wants posted. As it is ultimately his decision what can be posted and not mine, I am inclined not to make too big of a fuss over what the owner of the forum allows.

Bob

#244212 - 04/01/12 02:44 AM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: Bingley]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
It seems like it took forever just to add the 'urban' section. Now add a gun section? !!.

I don't think it's necessary personally. Firearms are discussed on here plenty in the context of the already established sections. I mean there are more worthy and greater discussed subjects I'd place higher on the list for it's own category before that.

#244239 - 04/01/12 09:33 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: unimogbert]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
While the rules suggest the topic is acceptable, history of threads suggest it isn't because the slightest swerve gets the thread locked.

I will endeavor to never speak of them again on this board.

If anyone disagrees with a moderating decision I've made here on ATC, I'm willing to discuss it in PM or here publicly.

Threads about advocacy or politics regarding firearms are forbidden because they tend to become unpleasant quickly. Some firearms threads sometimes seem to devolve quickly into advocacy, while others do not. I would rather issue warnings and corrections and lock the occasional thread than outright ban all firearms discussion in ATC.

A firearms forum would probably make moderation harder rather than easier.

chaosmagnet

#244247 - 04/01/12 10:53 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I don't know what the magic mix is but I will say this: it's tricky.

It's reasonable to say that guns are an important tool and using them an important skill. It's unfair to assume that because someone owns/carries a gun they must be a "gun loving uneducated redneck". On the other hand, someone pointing out when they might not be preferred, isn't the same thing as anti-gun advocacy.

Likewise, some of us exclude them from our equipment and skills inventory. That's reasonable too. It's unfair to assume that reason we don't own/carry guns is because they're "anti-gun fear mongers". On the other hand, someone pointing out when they could be preferred doesn't make them a "gun nut" either.

Making an argument to include or exclude them in any given scenario is usually reasonable. Explaining why a different/additional gun or ammo is the preferred choice is probably cool too.

Continuing to argue about whether someone else should or should not own/carry/use a gun isn't cool.

Making assumptions about other people's motivations isn't cool.

Dismissing someone because they fall into one camp or the other isn't cool.

EDIT: Personalizing the your argument by throwing insults, accusations or qssumptions at someone of the opposite persuasion of yours isn't cool.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/01/12 11:27 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244249 - 04/01/12 11:18 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Chaos, I think you and the other mods are doing a fine job. You warn us when we're walking the line and and youu let respectful discussion proceed. I appreciate that!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244252 - 04/02/12 12:52 AM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: bacpacjac]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I agree - guns here on ETS is a "tricky" subject. Guns are such a polarizing issue it's rather difficult to keep social and political slants from encroaching. In that regard, the mods seem to always have an obligatory appearance about 5 posts in saying "keep it clean, people" and then let the thread run it's course. For the most part, all of you here on ETS do a fine job of keeping your personal agendas out of threads. Kudos to all of us.

FWIW, DR actually carries a gun at times (it's on the main site somewhere). So we can assume he at least recognizes their utility.

I tend to agree, so far ETS has been a good gun-neutral forum. I'm on a couple other forums (NOT survival related) and they seem to think that 10K rounds of ammo just means they can kill and plunder as their survival "kit." I'm glad most of us don't twist threads into that sort of realm. And most of the firearms we DO talk about are usually .22, airguns, or some sort of shotgun. Not saying that other firearms aren't acceptable or useful, but it seems for this particular forum, they are recommended.

#244258 - 04/02/12 03:06 AM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: Bingley]
travlite Offline
Stranger

Loc: S. New England
As I understand it, the focus of this forum is survival equipment and while survival is as varied as the context or the circumstances that prevail at the time, the circumstances and the degree of success are the only real judge of whether the presence of a firearm is valid, reasonable or non-essential. IE, if you perish for lack of a firearm, then your bias cost you your life. If trouble comes your way because you’re packing, you’ll have to pay whatever price providence demands.

None of us knows what challenges we might face in the midst of a survival scenario. Armed with our wits and whatever aids we’ve chosen to carry with us, we’ll enter the storm. There’s very little that can prepare anyone for the savage and stark realities of true chaos. Take care that you neither doom yourself through needless aggression nor handicap yourself with the shackles of an impractical ideology. Survival will always demand more of you than you’ve prepared to give.

Pro or con, it’s an academic debate. Academics is insulated from the impacts of reality and it’s reality that will have the final word. Understand the realities, make your personal commitment and accept the cards you’re holding when the game starts.

#244290 - 04/02/12 01:51 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: travlite]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
We need to keep discussion of politics and political views away from ETS, but we also need to recognize that politics does impact our decisions & choices regarding survival equipment. There is no point in discussing/rehashing political discourse in this forum, but we need to acknowledge its impact. Folks in one part of the country have options others do not have. Folks in some of the states have options Canadians do not have. That's just the way it is.

I live in CA (California) which is almost as bad as the other CA (Canada) when it comes to firearms, but isn't as bad as other states and cities. Would I like to include a firearm in the large kit that stays in my truck? Yes. Would I consider doing so while I reside in CA? No, I've had that discussion with myself and I lost the debate. When I pack the truck for certain potential evacuation events, firearms are included, but it's limited in duration and I'm usually heading out of state.

Sometimes our equipment is limited by law (3 inch folder, no fixed blades, legal in the state but not necessarily in every city yada yada); that's a fact of life in today's world. A person's decision to not carry a firearm may have nothing to do with their personal desires, but is made for them by legislation. That's just the way it is.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 526 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
33 minutes 23 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.