Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#243347 - 03/18/12 10:59 PM Re: Aron's knife [Re: Chisel]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Maybe those guys saying that Aron should have had three or four knives on him could tell me this: which knife is best for cutting one's arm off?

I don't think field self amputation is something that people gear up for when they go out. (If you do and if you have personal experiences of using the gear, there is probably a whole publishing and movie industry that'd like to talk to you.) At the end of the day, he survived. He survived because he had the wit and the mental and physical fortitude to do what needed to be done. Sure, his equipment sucked, and it would have been better if he had been better equipped. But even with the best equipment (let's say those $500 knives), I'm not sure I can hack my arm off in the same situation.

The main lesson I've learned here is that I need to pack a bottle of Scotch.

#243351 - 03/19/12 01:22 AM Re: Aron's knife [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

Quite true. It was rumored that Theodore Roosevelt (Not a drinker at all) kept on him a flask of Whiskey mixed with an Opioid on adventures. Enough if taken entirely would be fatal. Kermit, his son, said that he nearly drank it during their "River of Doubt" expedition in which Theodore was nearly about to die. It was as Kermit said "My Father's way ending things on his terms if he could not continue on." Later on in that trip Roosevelt nearly did drink it, but Kermit stopped him.

Not to derail this thread, but I have read a lot on Theodore Roosevelt. His book "Through the Brazilian wilderness" is a fascinating read on the expedition down the "River of Doubt" (better known as the Amazon River.) The expedition members faced incredible hardships that makes modern day adventures, a walk in the park....

Also, Candice Millard's biographical book The River of Doubt is also a good read and also available as a Kindle download.

John Lubbock

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (dougwalkabout), 293 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.