The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#244556 - 04/06/12 06:01 PM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: MDinana]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Ahh... lights ... yeah, I've been on CPF for years. I have several headlamps and flashlights, but you're all correct, NONE have made it into the trunk. What am I thinking? Will rectify soon. Ditto the additional batteries (it's actually probably time to bring those ones in anyway).

Good call on the board and card game stuff. I've actually got a deck in my wife's trunk, but again, none made it to this one.

Bacpacjac: you're right on the clothes smile Out here the weather isn't too severe. I do have a spare underwear/socks in my BOB, but I suppose I can grab a set (his and hers) for this too. Good call. As for jacket and whatnot, I figure I can grab one as I leave. If not, well, then I'm an idiot and going to be the guy with a blanket wrapped around him. Serves me right. My wife harps on me for this all the time!

Bigreddog: though about meds. I do have a few (motrin and such) but no imodium. I think that was around at some point and probably expired. Probably worth the effort to replace. Thanks. As for a first aid book, I'm good there. 10 years as an EMT, my wife and I are both physicians.

Great insights so far. Thank you!

#247174 - 06/17/12 08:08 PM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: MDinana]
specwar Offline
Stranger

Loc: North Central Indiana
Water Filter in case bottle water is used up/contaminated
Small cook stove
Extra work gloves
Tools (axe shovel)
Canvas Tarp instead of blue poly for extended stay??
Several rolls/large pack TP.
Wet Wipes for personal hygiene

#247175 - 06/17/12 09:03 PM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: MDinana]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
How timely to see this thread. My Element is going into the shop tomorrow (a/c problem) and I just finished taking nearly everything out of it in case someone of low integrity were tempted to root around.

Good to go through it all a few times a year for a reminder of exactly what is in there, where it all is and to see if things need updating (I keep some food items in there so those are now in the kitchen to be assessed and perhaps replaced).

For batteries, I've become a fan of these "Dial Industries" battery storage boxes that I found on Amazon. I have the AA and AAA boxes in the car - clear plastic so you can easily see what you have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003US4L4K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&m=A2FP3WC79CXYXU

Despite living in muggy DC, this summer I've begun keeping more cold weather stuff in it than normal -- relatively small items that could make a huge difference in comfort level on a cool night outside the city if stranded in the car and which can be crammed into nooks and crannies.

Such as: balaclava, fleece hat, ear muffs, long underwear, down booties, Smartwool socks. I also put an old 50-degree synthetic sleeping bag in there that compresses small and a fleece bag liner that recently came in handy when visiting a friend's beach house and they had the a/c cranked a bit higher than was comfortable for me. I also keep a Marmot Dri-clime jacket and Marmot Precip parka in there.

On summer days, I'm nearly always dressed very light -- cotton, linen, silk -- so its nice to know that if I drive out of town that I've got some warmer items tucked away in the event of an emergency.

Hiking boots/socks/extra laces and underwear are also in the Element (except when it is going into the shop....).

Shelter begins with your clothes.

#247182 - 06/18/12 12:19 AM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: Dagny]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

I must admit, my clothing typically doesn't scream survival. Quite often it's the bare minimum - my uniform. I do have a wool cap and glove liners already in my car, but that's the extent of my clothing.

SpecWar, good points. I've never really considered a cloth tarp - I don't plan on using a tarp as shelter if I'm leaving in a vehicle. More of an addendum/patio type of covering.
-TP. Actually I think I have one roll, but thanks for the reminder to check. Wet wipes are in there.
- I think there's one pair of work gloves - if not, my BOB has them, and it sits on top of the trunk.

I did put in 2 headlamps, finally found some MSR propane tanks for my Whisperlight and threw 2 of the larger cans in to the trunk. Water filter is not currently in the trunk, but it IS situated about 10 feet over in my "miscellaneous camping crap" box. Don't know if I'd have the presence of mind to grab it however.

#247186 - 06/18/12 03:04 AM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: MDinana]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
I think this has been mentioned before, but it seems to bear repeating: Drug expiration dates are arbitrarily selected by the manufacturers to maximize movement of their product off the shelves. They bear no resemblance to what is actually happening chemically, which, with the exception of insulins, nitroglycerin, and possibly, tetracycline, and some liquid antibiotics, is next to nothing:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/04/02/drug-expiration-part-one.aspx.

With the possible exception of outdated tetrcycline (this is controverted), NOTHING else turns into a poison past it's due date. There may be a trivial loss of potency, but that is all. If the aspirin or ibufprofen turns an 7/10 headache into a 1/10 headache, rather than a 0/10 headache, well I think we can all cope.

I remember one of my well-intentioned kids coming home from school with an assignment from a well-meaning teacher: check the expiration dates on all the stuff in medicine cabinet, and pitch anything past it's expiration date. I'm sure the drug companies and their stock-holders were happy with the result; perhaps they have had a role in writing the erroneous curriculum used by the health teachers to perpetuate this myth.

#247204 - 06/18/12 02:22 PM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: Famdoc]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Famdoc, I've heard that before too ... I mean, even gauze has an expiration date. Usually I'll hold my meds about 2 years after the exp date, but I don't condone it!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:04 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.