Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Mountain House Beef Stroganoff

+1 for my #2 choice

My #1 is Backpackers Pantry Pesto Salmon Pasta

#243043 - 03/13/12 05:55 AM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: LesSnyder]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Les(The Southern Gentleman),I think you should try to make a trade(your Cabelas G/C)to Phadreus for something a heck of a lot more Palatable & life sustaining!or try some small portions of Mountain house,before making such a Rash decision of actually owning such large portions(#10 cans) of that muck,Yuck!Ok,on the topic again,The ONLY palatable item Mountain House provides is their Freeze dried Ice Cream,that's not only my opinion,but the whole truth as well! wink

#243654 - 03/23/12 03:51 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Trying MH Beef Stroganoff for lunch today. YUM! I don't like it as much as the chilie mac but it's really good.

EDIT: This one's a little too salty for me to finish the whole thing. I got through about half. If hubby and I were sharing it would be just about the right amount. (He likes salt even less than I do.) I think. We might want to suppliment it with something else to push the calorie count up. I've got a desk job so I'm strictly taste-testing today.

Edited by bacpacjac (03/23/12 04:15 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#243662 - 03/23/12 05:11 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey jac. You mentioned having relatives bring you retort packs of spam, tuna and salmon if I remember correctly?
Here in the colonies we have retort rice dishes also. Some even already have meat in them. Zatarains are good. I have seen others including uncle bens I think. Hope this helps.

#243664 - 03/23/12 05:29 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Hey jac. You mentioned having relatives bring you retort packs of spam, tuna and salmon if I remember correctly?
Here in the colonies we have retort rice dishes also. Some even already have meat in them. Zatarains are good. I have seen others including uncle bens I think. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads up, Snake! Ima gunna upgrade my shopping list to include some of that and also some of those IDAHO instant potatoes.

#243667 - 03/23/12 05:47 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: bacpacjac]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I tend not to eat freeze dried on the trail, but I do sort my years into BPG and APG - Before Packit Gourmet and After Packit Gourmet. http://www.packitgourmet.com/

Mountain House tends to be more available, and up to trying another freeze dried brand I was quite happy with the beef stroganoff and the raspberry cobbler (didn't MH once make a blueberry cobbler?) You can only get packit gourmet via mail order I think, but the meal variety is enormous, and it *all* tastes so good. Try it, you'll like it.

I have no fiduciary interest in MH or Packit Gourmet, just a happy customer. FWIW I also like that PG has a discount program for Scouts (15%)

#243670 - 03/23/12 06:02 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: Lono]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Lono
I tend not to eat freeze dried on the trail, but I do sort my years into BPG and APG - Before Packit Gourmet and After Packit Gourmet. http://www.packitgourmet.com/

Mountain House tends to be more available, and up to trying another freeze dried brand I was quite happy with the beef stroganoff and the raspberry cobbler (didn't MH once make a blueberry cobbler?) You can only get packit gourmet via mail order I think, but the meal variety is enormous, and it *all* tastes so good. Try it, you'll like it.

I have no fiduciary interest in MH or Packit Gourmet, just a happy customer. FWIW I also like that PG has a discount program for Scouts (15%)

Thanks for the tip Lono. We'll have to try packit! A discount for Scouts? hmmm...... smile

#243675 - 03/23/12 06:31 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Np jac. I enjoy your posts. You are a very savvy prepper. We need more ladies like you. The instant potatos come in pouches fairly compact saving time from measuring and repacking from the boxess and they come in flavors. Just add water gravy mix is nice in the field as well. I have recently discovered Knorr mini cubes. You crumble them into food. I found onion and chipotale. Btw we have Hormel completes here. Turking and dressing, roast beef and potatos with gravy, chicken breast etc. A retort bowl which can be heated in boiling water or eaten cold in the field. A former co-worker swears she has seenoodle dishes in retort packaging in various grocery stores. I'll watch for them and advise if they look edible.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (03/23/12 06:32 PM)

#243681 - 03/23/12 06:47 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: bacpacjac]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Wise is another company with high quality, generally great tasting meals: http://wisefoodstorage.com/
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#243683 - 03/23/12 06:57 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I haven't tried Wise yet. I read a review they were too salty. That could have simply have been that reviewer though, doing his taste testing at home. In the field I like more salt. Have you heard anything about the compressed freeze dried foods like mountain house had in the 70s? I heard someone talking about it at a show as they passed my tables, but not what company.Thanks.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 297 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.