Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#242395 - 03/03/12 09:59 PM Re: The Half Empty Concept? [Re: ILBob]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: ILBob
I see no problem with having an empty bag in your BOB for carrying something you find along the way. My only problem with that concept would be how well it would carry. A typical lightweight stuff sack that is full of stuff and weighs 20 lbs is not going to be real easy to carry around. But it is better than having nothing to carry the 20 lbs of stuff in.

Agreed. At least as far as the unpredictable. It's another real world limitation. You can't anticipate what you're going to happen upon so you just have to adapt. Take it with you somehow, or stick around so you can take advantage of it. We can't plan for EVERY possibility.

I consider foraging for food and fire supplies part of everyday life at camp or on the trail, nevermind in an emergency or bug-our scenario, so I plan for that. I bring fire and food with me but if I can suppliment that, or avoid using those supplies, I will. In fact, I'm about to upgrade from plastic shopping bag to something more reusable and durable, because this is such an every time activity for me. To your point, I'm talking a few pounds, not much more. (Not trying to be fancier, or hoidie toydie, just better for Mother Earth.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#242401 - 03/03/12 11:41 PM Re: The Half Empty Concept? [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Im starting to warm up to yall enough to consider posting the contents of my EDC bag. Im still suffering from paranoia since this is still indeed a publicly viewd forum. BUT I guess it wouldnt hurt Ill be back with the postin.

#242402 - 03/03/12 11:53 PM Re: The Half Empty Concept? [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Lotta stuff for a small half empty 10 pound pack. You can pretty much see everything and Identify it.

In the flask is Vodka. In container 1 is floss, eye drops, Cough drops, pepto chewables, Imodium, a digital alarm clock with date and temp. In kit 2 is 2 Lith AAs and 2 Lith AAA's, Nail clippers, The funnel for the flask and 3 foam earplugs. In the battery container is 10 AAs and 6 AAAs.

#242405 - 03/04/12 12:28 AM Re: The Half Empty Concept? [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Frisket, thanks. I'll post my updates soon. Pinky, promise. (it's cold outside - cold, wet, and windy today.)

Edited by bacpacjac (03/04/12 01:55 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#242407 - 03/04/12 12:34 AM Re: The Half Empty Concept? [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Not to change the topic but I was thinking of adding 1-3 45 minute steros to the pack. Any thoughts?

#242415 - 03/04/12 02:25 AM Re: The Half Empty Concept? [Re: Frisket]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: Frisket

In the flask is Vodka....

Up until now I thought I was the only person in the world who added booze to his crash bag. Nice touch laugh

Personally I think a head lamp and some solid gloves would round that pack out nicely. I couldn't decide between carrying a head lamp or a hand held light so I take both and each is real handy depending on what you need to do. You would be surprised how often good gloves come in handy, and a dry pair of socks is like a gift from heaven when you need them . This mostly depends on where you live and what you do I suppose. I carry a pair of wiley x ballistic sun glasses in my bag as well and find my self glad to have had them along a few times now. They come with interchangeable clear lenses.

A word of warning. I had one of those Buck knives (the non tactical model) I accidently dropped the knife from standing height and it broke in 3 pieces when it hit the floor. I know it's not good business to drop knives in the first place but I was very surprised to see it break like that.

I could have just bought a lemon, as Buck does make some good knives for sure, but I promptly purchased something more rugged for the crash bag anyway.

#242416 - 03/04/12 02:29 AM Re: The Half Empty Concept? [Re: Frisket]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Oh, And I got 2 sterno like things in my bag as well ( the eco something brand) Same stuff but with the built in pot stand.

You need to seal the lids real good with these or they tend to leak everywhere.

#242417 - 03/04/12 02:52 AM Re: The Half Empty Concept? [Re: Frisket]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
EDC's itself should be fairly small. I think mine is huge at 1lb stuffed in a tin box. That goes into a normal day pack so overall my EDC takes up little space. Just so I can add to it as the day requires. Otherwise maybe just stuff some grocery bags in it in case u need more bags/hands.

#242426 - 03/04/12 04:58 AM Re: The Half Empty Concept? [Re: Frisket]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Lotta stuff for a small half empty 10 pound pack. You can pretty much see everything and Identify it.

In the flask is Vodka. In container 1 is floss, eye drops, Cough drops, pepto chewables, Imodium, a digital alarm clock with date and temp. In kit 2 is 2 Lith AAs and 2 Lith AAA's, Nail clippers, The funnel for the flask and 3 foam earplugs. In the battery container is 10 AAs and 6 AAAs.

I hope you never have to try and survive with that kit..............I don't see any Constant Comment in there.

#242441 - 03/04/12 02:46 PM Re: The Half Empty Concept? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Good catch, Byrd... That was close

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 505 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.