Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2420 - 03/10/99 02:29 PM mercantile woes
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just spent a mind numbing 15 minutes on the phone ( their nickle at least) with the tin box company trying to secure pocket tin containers." Why don't you want bugs bunny? he's very popular, and we have a sale. Thats such a LITTLE box,We have hershey bar tins in a lovely 12"X9", and it's hinged! You want to store what in OUR boxes? Why don't you just call the police like everyone else?" Finally, I get connected to Mr. Wrong Wei, who I am told was a military man."Why don't you just buy a kit?IM TRYING TO MARKET ONE! Well, are you so very sure we can't paint an image on the cover( sound of calculatorticking off profits)?" "YES, I WANT THE DALAI LAMA ON IT, YOU DO MAKE THESE IN BEIJING,RIGHT? Dial tone. I am now slowly hitting my forehead with my tobacco tin. The strike anywhere matches ignite inside. I drop it into my 32oz. coke from the convenience store.

#2421 - 11/04/01 01:49 AM Re: mercantile woes
Anonymous
Unregistered

first the horse passes out from the nail polish and now you're trying to set the place on fire. I have days even weeks like that. BTW whats up with the date of your post is your computer doing some kind retarded y2k thing

#2422 - 11/04/01 02:18 AM Re: mercantile woes
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I noticed the date thing too. I wasn't worried about Y2K a year ago, and Im still not. I still have my first BOB with a can of yellow chiles,soda crackers and peanut butter,A big liter bottle of Mountain Dew, hollow handled survival knife bought on EBAY ( rare and unique, a real man's knife as the ad said, with 131/2 usefull accessories),a box of paper matches and Soldier Of Misfortune back issues for tinder.

#2423 - 11/04/01 07:59 PM Re: BOB
Anonymous
Unregistered

No first aid kit or sewing kit in your BOB? smile

#2424 - 11/04/01 08:38 PM Re: BOB
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This was the kavanaugh Mark 1 BOB. Mountain Dew will flush wounds,chili peppers sterilize anything and peanut butter makes an expediant poultice. In the Rambo knock off there is 6' of monofilament line for fishing and a harpoon for Stellar Sealions which doubled as a sewing kit. The mark 11 kit is now waterproof, thanks to a box of emergency candles that melted. My current, mark 111 unit is under review.

#2425 - 11/04/01 08:52 PM Re: BOB
jet Offline
Enthusiast

LOL!<br><br>Oh man, this is the most entertaining thread I've read on this forum yet!<br><br>Sorry to hear about your woes, Chris, but thanks for the laughs!

#2426 - 11/10/01 03:18 AM Re: mercantile woes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris: What size tin are you looking for? Something like an Altoids tin? If there is a product on the market that uses the same size tin perhaps you could sell just the contents and have the buyer provide their own tin. Some amateur radio kits use this approach.<br><br>Chris

#2427 - 11/10/01 04:21 AM Re: mercantile woes
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I thought of that. Kits are a hard sell to the general public anyway. If I accomplish this, it will have to be idiot proof. What ever I fail to do,the user most likely won't bother either. This has been a learnng experince if nothing else. Even if I provide extreme minimal gear ( small liquid compass, sparklite and tinder, strike anywhere matches , bottle of water purification tablets, whistle, small,full tang Mora knife, SAS GEM edition book, fishing supplies, snare wire and minimal first aid) ,my outlay is allready well over $65-$75. As you can see, there are several items left out allready. To make any profit would send this well over the many "survival in a can examples already. Im still noseing out alternatives.

#2428 - 11/10/01 05:06 AM Re: mercantile woes
Anonymous
Unregistered

My own kit would cost that much or more. I figure my life is worth it Chris. Your kit would be the one others are compared to.

#2429 - 11/10/01 04:55 PM Re: mercantile woes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay. I've looked at Nalgene bottles, rice boxes, etc. for my own kit and finally ended up with a tupperware container for my hiking kit and an altoids tin for my smaller kit. I don't suppose either of my choices would be very marketable but they work for me.<br><br>Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.