Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#241053 - 02/13/12 09:08 PM Re: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary [Re: Russ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Russ
Before the drop-dead date and within the operating temps of alkaline batteries, you really shouldn't notice any performance difference with alkaline batteries compared to lithiums -- except that the lithiums are lighter and have a higher power density.

I don't find this to be true in my case. My 4Sevens Quark 1xAA LED flashlight runs on standard alkaline AA's, NiMH (which I havent' tried yet), lithium primaries (also untried), or 14500 rechargeable lithium (which I HAVE tried - and use all the time now).

A 14500 is quite a bit brighter than the an alkaline in this flashlight. Actually, a TON brighter. No comparison really. Rechargeable lithiums have the highest voltage, followed by lithium primaries, followed by alkalines, followed by NiMH. Even though the NiMH have the lowest voltage, I still would expect them to give better brightness than the alkalines. I haven't tried this in this particular Quark flashlight, but in other lights I have the NiMH's will out perform the alkalines. Lower voltage, but significantly higher current capabilities.

Now in something where you don't have a "brightness" to compare, or in devices that only draw a low amount of current, like a GPS, I don't know how the various batteries will compare against each other. I generally use alkalines for these devices if they are used infrequently or NiMH if they see a lot of use. For intermediate use I choose the Eneloops (special NiMH formulation that doesn't self-dischage to a significant extent, like regular NiMH's do). I don't usually store the alkalines in these devices (due to leakage concerns), but occassionally I forget and run to open up the forgotten device and say "Phew, lucked out there - they didn't leak!"

#241054 - 02/13/12 09:25 PM Re: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The 14500 rechargeable lithium is "lithium ion" and at 3.6 volts is in another league compared to the standard ~1.5 volts we normally associate with AA batteries.

Check the note at http://www.batteryjunction.com/protected-14500-lithium.html
Quote:
WARNING: THIS BATTERY IS NOT MEANT TO BE A DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR AA ALKALINE/NIMH BATTERIES IN CONSUMER DEVICES. THESE LITHIUM ION BATTERIES OPERATE AT MORE THAN TWICE THE VOLTAGE OF AN ALKALINE BATTERY AND 3 TIMES THE VOLTAGE OF A NIMH CELL AND MAY DAMAGE OR DESTROY YOUR DEVICE.

Please note that rechargeable protected lithium ion cells are always bigger and longer than standard cells, please make sure they fit your device before purchasing.

#241058 - 02/13/12 10:31 PM Re: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary [Re: Russ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Russ
The 14500 rechargeable lithium is "lithium ion" and at 3.6 volts is in another league compared to the standard ~1.5 volts we normally associate with AA batteries.

Sure. I even stated the difference in voltages and current capabilities in my post. I was simply responding to your comment that "you shouldn't notice any performance difference with alkaline batteries compared to lithiums". You will notice a BIG performance difference. This is BECAUSE lithiums (either primary or rechargeables) operate at higher voltages (not always) and have higher current capacities (always) than alkalines. If lithiums had the exact same voltage as alkalines and the exact same current capabilities as alkalines, they would perform exactly the same as alkalines (ignoring cold weather performance and total runtime differences).

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.