Topic Options
#240626 - 02/06/12 06:22 PM Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Left pocket - Survival/ comfort/ First aid kit**
Right pocket - Heatsheet, knife, snacks

Water on hip or pack, jacket as necessary

** Combo kit with ten basics.

#240628 - 02/06/12 06:47 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i'll just say that the one pair of cargo pants i have drive me nuts,i have to dig thru four or five pockets to find my car keys!

#240630 - 02/06/12 07:48 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The key is to put certain items in the same pocket each time. Left, right, thigh, rear, whatever/wherever -- always in the same place.

#240633 - 02/06/12 08:28 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Left thigh cargo pocket: Modified Doug Ritter PSK and leatherman juice multitool.

Right thigh: Cell phone in water proof/water resistant vinyl pouch and a knife (Mora 840. I sewed on a leather patch so the holster snaps on above the pocket. The major part of the holster is actually inside the cargo pocket, with only the handle and about 1" of the holster sticking out above the pocket. I also made a hole in the flap over that cargo pocket.).

Left pocket: Handkerchief, keys (including key chain light).

Right pocket: Vallet (as small as possible).

The location of each item has been very carefully evaluated: It should NOT in any way impeede motion. It can't be too bulky. And I must be able to take a fall without hurting myself on hard objects, so any hard stuff must be somewhere that I usually don't land on. I'm 100% satisfied on all accounts.

I'm also trying to integrate a plastic tarp, poncho or garbage bag, but so far I can't make it work without being too bulky. A work in progress...

If I feel like tumbling about a lot (such as when skiing, or lying flat on the ground enjoying my lunch) I'll move the stuff in my "normal" pocket to a more secure pocket, such as the small pockets on my anorack.

Oh, and the anorack has a whistle easily accessible. Usually I'll have a mini first aid kit in one of the small pockets as well.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (02/06/12 08:28 PM)

#240644 - 02/06/12 11:49 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
What's the context? Where are you going, etc.?

#240651 - 02/07/12 03:20 AM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: ireckon]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Left front pocket - knife (clipped in place), foam hearing protectors (for the Colorado Avalanche hockey games - loud!), small half-sized writing pen, car keys

Right front pocket - firearm in holster (unless carried in belt holster)

Belt, left side - cell phone in clip-on case, Quark AA flashlight in holster

Belt, right side - firearm in holster (unless pocket carrying)

Right rear pocket - wallet

Left rear pocket - never found anything to put in there except a checkbook occassionally (used only once a year, if that)

#240693 - 02/07/12 07:20 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
one of my "kits":

flashlight (120 lumen millermods), knife (WH T09CF) and spare mags in left, and Seecamp 32 in right

#240696 - 02/07/12 07:45 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Gorgeous!

#240869 - 02/10/12 07:59 AM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

snappy looking gear and a magazine cover quality photo--but--i'm sure glad i live someplace where i don't feel the need to pack heat.even solo canoeing in bear country i just have a pepper spray.
i don't get out of Minnesota much,if at all,but i guess in some parts of the country you have to do what you have to do---

#240877 - 02/10/12 03:44 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

canonedogs:

as an ex-criminal investigator having worked in extremely rural eastern oregon, i've learned there are some very nasty folks walking our streets and even our most remote back county. in fact, way more of them than i ever first imagined.

i wish i saw the world through rose colored glasses, but i don't.

everyone has to decide for themselves how they wish to live, then go for it!

and thnx for the very kind gear/photo comments.

#240879 - 02/10/12 04:35 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: wileycoyote]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote

canonedogs:

as an ex-criminal investigator having worked in extremely rural eastern oregon, i've learned there are some very nasty folks walking our streets and even our most remote back county. in fact, way more of them than i ever first imagined.

i wish i saw the world through rose colored glasses, but i don't.

everyone has to decide for themselves how they wish to live, then go for it!

and thnx for the very kind gear/photo comments.

It only takes one bad guy in the wrong place at the wrong time to ruin your day.

However, were it legal for law abiding citizens in my state to carry a firearm for self protection, I would be inclined to carry something more substantial than a 32. But I agree with the general idea. A firearm, a light, and a knife.

Bob

#240899 - 02/11/12 12:40 AM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I look at pistols the way I look at the trauma kit I carry on the range. If something happens and I don't have my trauma kit on me, especially when I'm teaching or I'm an RSO, I would never forgive myself for not having the tools to help someone. If something threatens my family or myself, I'd like to have the right tools at hand.

It's a big decision and a serious ongoing responsibility. Without a doubt it's not for everyone.

#240902 - 02/11/12 01:12 AM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
after a year or so on this forum, my EDC has drastically changed...from minimum, to maximum, and finally a compromise based on perception of need...

most likely threat at my age...heart attack, so my first prep was addition of a pill fob to the key ring for a couple of aspirin, followed by some immodium and later antivert

I'm an old fart, so physical attack looms its ugly head...pocket carry is a Ruger LCP in a Sam Andrews pocket holster... my vehicle carry bag is a Glock 9mm, SureFire 6P with Malkoff upgrade, ASP, OC spray, and a compression bandage, SF tourniquet, and QuickClot pack with some nitrile gloves in a pocket

in the "help I've fallen and can't get up"...brass whistle on key ring, along with Fenix E01 and P38.. key ring is on a belt clip

practical daily use...Benchmade Aries axis lock and Victorinox Executive, Motorola Razr phone in Maxpedition holster, bandana

a couple medical items are in my wallet...4 Katadyn tabs, 2x2 hemostatic gauze, 2x2 pad, 2 cloth finger bandaids, dental floss, 1' duct tape on card

and finally the "tools I might someday need"..in a generic large multitool pouch... Leatherman Squirt S2, Streamlight TacPro 1L 110 lumen light, petroleum cotton ball in straw, short section of hacksaw blade, with large needle and firesteel...key ring, phone and multi tool on my belt..

this setup works for me, but have to be sure to pull my belt tight so the pants don't fall off

Edited by LesSnyder (02/11/12 12:24 PM)

#240917 - 02/11/12 05:10 AM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: CANOEDOGS]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
--but--i'm sure glad i live someplace where i don't feel the need to pack heat.

That's a great place to live, although I personally doubt such a place really exists. But if you think your location qualifies, that's all that need matter to you. Just be mentally prepared to handle being disillusioned if the "It can't happen to me" mentality gets slam dunked by the "I was a victim" reality. Hopefully this will never happen to you. Especially since you appear willing to walk right into it unprepared.

Carrying a firearm is certainly not for everybody. I would not recommend it for you. But it would be nice if you tried not to make snide comments to those of us who have chosen to carry one.

#240923 - 02/11/12 08:15 AM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
People intent on evil can be found anywhere, including where you would least expect it.

In the field I use the mnemonic "Left for life, right for fight" to organize my stuff. What this means to me is, I carry my survival equipment on my left side pockets and the stuff I will be using on a regular basis on my right side...

So, for example for SAR & wildland firefighting in my left pockets I carry:
  • PSK
  • PLB
  • Flashlight
  • Lighter
  • Wallet

And in my right pockets I carry:
  • Knife
  • Notebook and reference cards
  • Incident response pocket guide
  • Weather meter
  • Map

Typically around town I carry:
  • Glock 19 (right side)
  • Spare magazine (left sdie)
  • Ritter RSK Mk1 (right ft pocket)
  • Lighter (right ft pocket)
  • Surefire E1B (left ft pocket)
  • Phone (left ft pocket)
  • Notepad/pen (left back pocket)
  • Wallet (right pack pocket)

Edited by Alan_Romania (02/11/12 08:21 AM)

#240924 - 02/11/12 12:19 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: haertig]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
--but--i'm sure glad i live someplace where i don't feel the need to pack heat.

But it would be nice if you tried not to make snide comments to those of us who have chosen to carry one.

I didn't see anything 'snide' about Canoedogs comment. He was complimentary about the gear and photography, and did not challenge anyones decision to carry a firearm. He simply stated he didn't feel a personal need to carry a firearm.

This would be a dull forum if everyone just '+1' on every OP's comment.

#240928 - 02/11/12 03:13 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Seeing an interesting discussion turn into a gun - no gun debate and walking away from it.

Other than knife on the right because that's my dominant hand, I don't necessarily do left and right. Everything does have a place though. I'm a creature of habit and knowing reliably where everything makes things smoother during times of stress.

Edited by bacpacjac (02/11/12 03:18 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#240939 - 02/11/12 06:23 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: ILBob]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: ILBob

...I would be inclined to carry something more substantial than a 32. But I agree with the general idea. A firearm, a light, and a knife.

absolutely.

in fact, the 32 Seecamp is just one of my "kits" and the least powerful. the only reason i posted it was that i happen to have some nice photos of it to share.

and the only reason to carry such a small caliber is when nothing larger can be concealed, yet when still able to easily access much more potent options.

yesterday, like most days in town, i pocket-carried a tiny 13 ounce 9mm Rohrbaugh (black Stealth model with VZ grips) loaded with 115gr Gold Dots, plus a William Henry B15FT folder and a Tank TK-703 'light.

#240941 - 02/11/12 06:40 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: wileycoyote]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

I too appreciate pocket pistols. When everybody else has major issues with concealing and carrying in general, the pocket pistol comes through like an imperfect, but always loyal, friend. My smallest gun is a Glock 27, and that's too big actually. I'm looking to downsize.

#240948 - 02/11/12 08:02 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: ireckon]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Speaking of pocket guns, SIG has a new little 9mm coming out called the P938. It's only supposed to be slightly bigger than the P238/Colt Mustang .380. If it's any good I'd love to get my hands on one. It would be a nice companion to my full size 1911, especially since 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot than .45 acp.

As far as left/right pocket goes, I try to keep it always the same (wallet/knife front right; keys/light front left), but it doesn't always work out that way. The only thing that ends up being a definite is that I hate carrying anything heavier or thicker than a bandana in my back pocket. Don't know why, but having stuff in my back pocket always annoyed me.

#240952 - 02/11/12 09:33 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: Paul810]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Paul810
...I hate carrying anything heavier or thicker than a bandana in my back pocket...

Unfortunately, my wallet qualifies for that. frown

#240968 - 02/12/12 07:26 AM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

i don't want to carry on the gun thing as byrd huntr said it for me,however when i got out of the Army in 1969 i did not like the idea of walking around unarmed anymore.for a few years at college and just around i carried the snub nosed 38 i got at the Davis Gun Shop in Phenix City AL.why i can recall that and not where i put my car keys is part of getting old i guess.Davis Guns is just across the bridge and a lot of guys from Ft Benning bought guns there.the point is that it's not rose colored glasses it's realizing that your life style and environment does not call for you to be armed all the time.i still get up at night and flip on the outside lights for a look sometimes.the 38 is long gone,i sold it to buy camping gear.
speaking of camping,i don't carry anything in my pants pockets because when you flip a canoe up for the portage it rests on your thighs for a moment before the move to your shoulders.i only had to have a Bic jammed into my leg once to learn that.fast use things like a watch,small LED,whistle and a small Bic go into my shirt pocket,they keep dryer up there.

#244007 - 03/29/12 05:03 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

canoe dogs -- Perhaps a small belt pack - size of a camera case - on your belt?

#244012 - 03/29/12 05:13 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: wileycoyote]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Very Nice!

#244017 - 03/29/12 05:18 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: haertig]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Very well said Haertig.

#244018 - 03/29/12 05:19 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Teacher..not a bad idea but i found that anything hanging off or strapped to you gets in the way sooner or later.a belt bag would get hung up on the canoe gunwale or the pack when i'm pulling it on and off at the portage.a SAK,Farmer model,in a Leatherman case on my belt is about all i carry outside of the stuff in my shirt pockets.i don't even carry my Mora 2000 on my belt anymore,it's carried in the boat bag.
just as an aside thats why i don't carry stuff around my neck like some of the "kits on a lanyard"i see here.

#244019 - 03/29/12 05:22 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I didn't start it this time Jac. Grins shyly.

#244020 - 03/29/12 05:26 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: wileycoyote]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

My EDC pocket gun is a Grendel P-10. 11 rounds of DRT in .380 and very concealable to me. But i love the Seecamp and have a few of them.

#244023 - 03/29/12 05:30 PM Re: Left pocket/ right pocket...Some carry options [Re: Paul810]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

While not a pocket pistol I do like my Sig P-239s, small light and very concealable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 504 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.