Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240514 - 02/04/12 06:09 PM BOB's for Children
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Working on the bug out bags today, and I am curious: what's in your kids' bobs? Especially those of you with smaller children (approx. age 4-7).

I'm thinking of mostly comfort items: small coloring book, crayons, small stuffed animal.

Also, a rescue whistle.

For snacks and things, I am sort of at a loss for my daughter's bag, because she has a condition that affects her fine motor skills, making something like opening wrappers a challenge (like jerky wrappers and stuff). Any ideas here? Trying to plan for the worst, i.e. if she gets separated from the adults.

What other things should I put in there?

Also, my dog's bag is set. Does it make me horrible that I am pretty much thinking the cat is gonna be on its own if we are having to bug-out on foot?

~Marion C. Garretty

#240515 - 02/04/12 06:28 PM Re: BOB's for Children [Re: Krista]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For small kids warm clothes and a whistle are great. Comfort items are a big plus. Consider adding a hat, a brightly colored bandanna and a Heatsheets blanket.

Are there containers that your daughter can open easily? If so, you could use those, even if it means more frequent rotation of stocks.

#240516 - 02/04/12 06:37 PM Re: BOB's for Children [Re: chaosmagnet]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Are there containers that your daughter can open easily? If so, you could use those, even if it means more frequent rotation of stocks.

Oh, that's great thinking. Tupperware is such a great invention.

Trying to keep the weight down on it, so I'm thinking one bottle of water? Which worries me to death, because of it's not much. But realistically, I don't guess I can ask for much else because of the weight issue. frown

~Marion C. Garretty

#240518 - 02/04/12 07:02 PM Re: BOB's for Children [Re: Krista]
Eugene Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

I have a layered approach. The kids each have a small outdoors backpack and a toy backpack. The toy backpack is for use in a vehicle, hotel,etc while the outdoors one is if we actually would need to walk to the BOL or are just going for a hike.
This was the gear and toys are kept separate and when in a vehicle where we can spare the space they have those comfort items.

#240519 - 02/04/12 07:32 PM Re: BOB's for Children [Re: Eugene]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Fortunately, kids grow up quickly and their capabilities will increase rapidly. I wouldn't worry about your cat. We potentially face the same problem.....

#240521 - 02/04/12 08:20 PM Re: BOB's for Children [Re: Krista]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I have a son with significant challenges, including motor skills. His BOB contains things for him but the reality is that he will probably need assistance for most things. We have come up with solutions for water (slightly modified camelbak bottles), food (the ziplock bags with the molded plastic zipper so he can work the bag) communication and sanitation. Everything else is basically comfort items (toys etc.).

His younger sister (just turned 7) has a small BOB with her essentials. This includes flashlight, food, water, a whistle, a compass, some bright orange marking tape, a small poncho, some bright pink nylon cord and her small fixed blade knife. Her food of choice is zone bars and scooby doo fruit snacks. She also likes to bring at least one of her stuffed animals along. All this is very small and light and fits into a princess backpack so she can bring it along when we go walking.

Fortunately we don't have many reasons to bug out around here and we are much more likely to bug in. This means that additional clothing and gear can be kept handy without needing to load down the kids bags.

-Eric

#240522 - 02/04/12 08:22 PM Re: BOB's for Children [Re: Krista]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My son's BOB usually includes an LED glowstick, a favorite stuffie, a couple hot wheels, a couple of little green army guys, a deck of cards, a book, a racecar blankie, bright orange hat, gloves, fleece jammies, extra unders and socks, little toothbrushing kit. It's also usually got an mp3 player, headphones and spare batteries.

He's a smidge older (8), but he carries one water bottle, 1 juice box and some of his favorite snacks. He's an overpacker like me so I watch that the bag doesn't get too heavy. Tupperwear might work better for your daughter. The trick is finding something that she can open and close, and not making the pack too heavy. Ziplock bags?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#240582 - 02/06/12 03:04 AM Re: BOB's for Children [Re: Krista]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
In order to keep them interested, I made everything kid-attractive so that they WANT to carry it. Licensed characters, or at least bright & friendly and things they're able to use at 4 & 6. They'd carry bedding, a toy, food, water, whistle, bear bell (more for locating than scaring off rare VA bears).

For the 11y/o, its a neck lanyard with Day-Glo orange things. She's getting big, so less "kid" stuff for her.

Its been a fun challenge.

#240584 - 02/06/12 03:19 AM Re: BOB's for Children [Re: Krista]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
I think kids need to feel somewhat in control of their situation. By definition in a bug out, there is very little control.
Keeping kids entertained and engaged and above all keeping them safe are my priorities.

Items like the whistle (on a lanyard) are great. Have a practice session or two where they can practice blasting their whistle …

A chemical glow stick has the benefit that it will glow all night, as a comforting night light. Just be sure she knows how to use it.
A small LED light is also great because it can illuminate a task area. Windup and solar lights have the benefit that they will not run out, but batteries have that instant effect. I went for a small windup because the kids can play indefinitely with it and not waste the battery. I have battery lights I can choose to share with them if I want them to have them. (I think it gives them a bit of control – control of their light)

A favourite book, or a copy of the book.
Family photos – DW made a small album which included family groupings and a few individual shots too. Kids love photos of their family and friends.

If she has a favourite character, then consider some colouring books or stickers etc which feature that character (this may change over time). Blank paper is always good.

Definitely a cuddle toy, once again, if they have a favourite consider getting another of those characters, and Hey ! … you could always make up your own ? How about inventing Doug the Survivor Dog ?
In the event of getting lost, Doug sits down and blows his dog whistle ? …. Hey I may write a book ….

A refillable water bottle is good, but you could consider a small juice drink too. Comfort food ?

Include some kind of instructions. Not sure if your kids can read as yet, but some pictures and simple works may be appropriate.

You can consider including some information with their name, your name and details etc. as well as some family or trusted friends who may be away from the bug out area.
If they do become separated from you, consider what information may help authorities reunite you ?
Her photo of mummy (and your photo of her) may assist in this process.

#240585 - 02/06/12 03:23 AM Re: BOB's for Children [Re: Krista]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

I forgot games ! For us its cards and 6 dice to play zilch.

Edited by Aussie (02/06/12 03:23 AM)

#240590 - 02/06/12 04:13 AM Re: BOB's for Children [Re: Aussie]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I'm glad to know Zilch is known Down Under,do you folk's play the option?It's when you roll 5 of the same #,you take the option of rolling that last dice for the same # as the rest,If you don't make it,it's Zilch! We usually play to 10,000,Definitely Good stuff for All us kids! Mille Borne,a card game, is another good time killer,& teaches a bit of French,as well! Cheers!

#240591 - 02/06/12 04:21 AM Re: BOB's for Children [Re: Richlacal]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
I'm glad to know Zilch is known Down Under,do you folk's play the option?It's when you roll 5 of the same #,you take the option of rolling that last dice for the same # as the rest,If you don't make it,it's Zilch! We usually play to 10,000,Definitely Good stuff for All us kids! Mille Borne,a card game, is another good time killer,& teaches a bit of French,as well! Cheers!

We play:
five-of-a-kind : Multiply four-of-a-kind score by 2

You can roll the 6th dice, but it won't count as 6 of a kind !

We also play to 10,000 but you can play to 1000 for a quick game.

The great thing about Zilch is it is very compact, and its great for kids learning to add up. I keep my set in a matchbox.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.