Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#240425 - 02/02/12 09:31 AM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If the fuel tablets fit in plastic tubes that hold quarters, they should also fit in the commonly available paper tubes that hold quarters. Not quite as sturdy as the plastic tubes, but you can surely fit in five tabs, seal the ends with tape, and you will have additional tinder as well. Put a water repellent coating on the tubes and they will make even more effective tinder.

I haven't tried this, but it ought to work. Must get some Gouglan's fuel tabs.....

That's a good idea. I'll admit to having something of a "container fetish"... blushI'm forever buying pencil boxes, glasses cases, kitchen containers etc to re-purpose for camping & survival uses! While hexamine doesn't strictly need to be kept dry (so far as I can tell) I like the idea of having it in a sealed plastic tube, if for no other reason to keep it from stinking up the rest of my gear. But you're right, you could tape it up and burn the wrapper. Good thinking.

I will say that I have found some other, larger tubes of the same size. They require a bit larger quantity purchase but I may still go that route. For now the coin tubes are about $.60 each and ideal for a small fire kit.

#240426 - 02/02/12 09:35 AM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: MoBOB]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Great idea. Also, look in the craft stores for the coin tubes that have pressure fit caps. They may be cheaper. They may be in the bead area. Here is the link to the pictures of the "tube EDC" kit in the Photo Gallery I made: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=131209#comments They may be a bit longer. They are made of different material, so the impact-resistance may suffer a bit.

My $.02

Thanks! Another source I'll have to investigate. BTW, I like the kit!

#240427 - 02/02/12 09:46 AM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: ZenEngineer]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: ZenEngineer
After my first response of "cool!" I started wondering if the wafers could be sliced to make thinner wafers. It would reduce the burn time for each wafer, but for a single tube you would have more than 5 fire-starts. I'll have to pick some up the next time I see them and give it a try.

It would be akin to trying to slice a frozen Hershey's bar. Pretty crumbly. If you put the tablet out you can reuse it and get extra starts that way, but I don't know if I'd be keen on dropping the warm tab on top of the other ones! Since they're only 21-25 cents each I'm not too concerned about getting extra lights. For the most part I envision using them as emergency tinder; I generally enjoy keeping regular "scheduled" fire making a bit more prep intensive and "low tech" (although I confess to being utterly infatuated with potassium permanganate & glycerine!).

One thing that might be interesting would be too pulverize some tablets and fill a container with just the "dust." Would it remain as flammable all crushed up? How long would it burn? Hard to guess without some testing.

#240428 - 02/02/12 10:43 AM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

#240429 - 02/02/12 11:44 AM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've never seen those before. Are they from the M&M candy? I haven't seen a package like that.

#240431 - 02/02/12 01:30 PM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

In my neck of the woods ( the other side of the planet) we have them in almost every store. But you can get them on-line as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Ms-Chocolate-Minis-1-08-Ounce-Tubes/dp/B003N7T55I

#240433 - 02/02/12 02:16 PM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice! M&M's in any form is a WIN!

#240434 - 02/02/12 02:42 PM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
Virginia_Mark Offline
Journeyman

I use fire starter packets from the grilling stuff at lowes.. I use a different brand but they are the same thing as these pictured below. I like them because they are in self contained packs (about the size of a condom). You touch it with a flame and you have a fire. I have other methods on me, fire steel, cotton, etc.; but in an emergency when your cold and wet; you do not want a spark, you want a FIRE & you want it NOW. Thats what I save these for. I keep a ton of them on hand for charcoal grilling in the back yard as well..lol

#240443 - 02/02/12 04:38 PM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

I got beat to it but M&M tubes are what I use for all kinds of stuff. Quarters, Q-Tips, tinder.... They are great for a lot of stuff. The small ones also hold 20 bucks in quarters perfectly. Pretty nice.

#240455 - 02/02/12 11:53 PM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
M&M tubes come in two lengths. Shorter ones I have found at dollar stores. The longer ones have been seen at Walmart.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 228 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Today at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.