Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240211 - 01/28/12 05:21 PM The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Is the Ti-Tri Caldera Cone the ultimate ultralight stove system?

Hyperbole? Am I being a little "over the top?" Maybe. But maybe not.

When it comes to stoves, there's usually a reason behind what I say.

So, come along and let's have a look at the ultimate ultralight stove system, the Ti-Tri Caldera Cone

HJ

#240213 - 01/28/12 06:54 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Worthwhile post, as always, but you are going to have a serious impact on my finances - so many nice options out there...

#240221 - 01/29/12 06:14 AM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Worthwhile post, as always, but you are going to have a serious impact on my finances - so many nice options out there...
Ain't that the truth?

The big advantage of this system is for those who travel both above and below elevations where fires are permitted on their trips.

HJ

#240273 - 01/30/12 05:05 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Jim,

I have been looking at this since I first tried the Cone. I spent 40 plus years making my noon tea over a double handful of pine squaw wood. I think you have hooked me again :-) like Hikermor.

There was a thread a while ago that someone asked "why a wood stove" You have answered it in your typical style - completely.

Thanks,

Jerry

#240280 - 01/30/12 06:54 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
But Jim - you've taken most of the financial work on yourself and giving everyone else the benefit of your research. I've never seen anyone with the number of stoves you have in your arsenal. What you need to do is find a way to get some royalties from all your reviews! smile

#240283 - 01/30/12 07:51 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Roarmeister]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Cool - I want one grin

Would it work to shoehorn a remote canister gas burner in there? That way it would be the ti-quad cone stove. (Perhaps not the ultralight)... Or ti-quint or ti-sixt fuel if you're into multi-fuel stoves.

I'm of course thinking of letting the caldera cone do double duty as the ultimate wind screen for your favourite gas or multi-fuel burner...

#240290 - 01/30/12 08:46 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Jim,

I have been looking at this since I first tried the Cone. I spent 40 plus years making my noon tea over a double handful of pine squaw wood. I think you have hooked me again :-) like Hikermor.

There was a thread a while ago that someone asked "why a wood stove" You have answered it in your typical style - completely.

Thanks,

Jerry
Hi, Jerry,

Thanks very much.

I "cut my teeth" on wood cooking back in the day (60's & 70's), so I have some idea as to the drill. I've got to say, it's really nice to have this little wood burner along compare to just an open fire.

First, heating is a lot faster. The heat is concentrated. When we (dad and I) used to cook, we'd drop a coffee can in the fire. Was the heat concentrated? No. Sometimes things would heat quickly and some times not.

Second, it's really easy to have a stable pot. We never dumped our dinner, but with just rocks as your pot support, it certainly could happen.

Third, it's really easy to get the pot on and off. We used to use a long loop of wire attached to the coffee pot and a stick. A bit clumsy. With a Caldera Cone, it's easy on and easy off.

Fourth, it's easy to get the fire going. The stove provides a lot of ventilation. There's not a lot of blowing into the fire (and smoke inhalation!).

Fifth, you don't have to gather as much wood. Fill the little bowl, and that's plenty for a couple of cups of water, probably more.

Sixth, there's little impact. Just some white ash after you're done that can be buried or wind dispersed.

Seventh, the fire is relatively well contained. Especially if you keep the fire down in size, there's very little in the way of escaping embers. I'd say this is a much safer way to burn wood than an open fire.

Eighth, the combustion is very thorough. What's probably the biggest danger from a campfire? The campfire not being completely out and the flames spring back to life later on, sparking a wildfire. When I've used the Ti-Tri with Inferno option, I've been very impressed with how little smoldering is left. There ain't much left after the Ti-Tri is done with it.

Ninth, it's easier to get a good set of coals for lower heat cooking. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to have to try eggs or pancakes or something on this stove.

Tenth, in a way, you don't even have to carry a full stove in order to have a first rate wood burner. What do I mean by that? The Caldera Cone is a first class alcohol or hexamine (e.g. ESBIT) stove system. Because on most of my trips I can't burn wood every meal, I'm going to be carrying the Cone anyway. In a pinch, I can burn wood with just the cone, but for an additional 81g, I can get a full blown, efficient wood burner with all the benefits noted above. 81g? What is that? Well, that's about the weight of a PocketRocket. Without fuel. So, in other words, you can have a full blown wood burner for about the weight of a PocketRocket. I'd say that's not too shabby.

HJ

#240309 - 01/30/12 11:28 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Roarmeister]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
But Jim - you've taken most of the financial work on yourself and giving everyone else the benefit of your research. I've never seen anyone with the number of stoves you have in your arsenal. What you need to do is find a way to get some royalties from all your reviews! smile
Yeah, maybe someday people will pay me for my writing. Until then, I've at least made something of a name for myself.

It was kind of fun recently. I was talking to a ranger at a ranger station. I forget how it came up exactly, but he asked if I posted online. I said something like, "yes, under the name hikin_jim." He looked at me kind of funny and said "you're hiking Jim?" He was kind of impressed based on his tone of voice (I had also just showed him on a topo map all of the errors in his area; he knew enough about his area that he knew I was right). At least somebody thinks I know something. lol.

HJ

#240310 - 01/30/12 11:33 PM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Cool - I want one grin

Would it work to shoehorn a remote canister gas burner in there? That way it would be the ti-quad cone stove. (Perhaps not the ultralight)... Or ti-quint or ti-sixt fuel if you're into multi-fuel stoves.

I'm of course thinking of letting the caldera cone do double duty as the ultimate wind screen for your favourite gas or multi-fuel burner...
You definitely could not have a typical upright canister stove in there. First, it wouldn't fit and second the fuel would get too hot and it might explode.

But what if you had a low-slung remote canister like maybe a Primus Express Spider? Now, that's an interesting question, one that I hadn't considered. If it would work, you'd have a good winter snow melter. You'd have to modify the windscreen to allow for a hose to pass through (although I guess you could run it underneath as well), and I'd worry a little about damaging the hose from the heat. You don't want to damage a fuel hose in an environment with a flame! You'd probably have to rig up a heat shield for the gas line.

I suspect it wouldn't work because the Cone restricts air flow too much. Gas burners need a fair amount of oxygen. Insufficient oxygen would result in an inefficient flame and a lot of carbon monoxide emission. Interesting thought, though. I'm going to have to think about that one.

HJ

#240315 - 01/31/12 01:26 AM Re: The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Ultralight Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
What do mean someday???? Haven't you ever applied to be a tester with http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ You should be able to get some camping equipment for free, and with your experience as a tester they should be lining up to get you to work for them.

Click here to apply:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.