Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#240118 - 01/26/12 03:12 PM Re: Why do people pull these stupid stunts? [Re: Roarmeister]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Yep, I've been called "risk-averse" also. However, it has paid-off. Never was a Boy Scout, but I learned from the Cubs & Wiebelos and the army. Build skills and learn basic gear. I don't consider it a personality flaw that I don't like high-adrenaline activities (bungee, rollercoasters, etc.).

I may like Cody, Dave, Les & the others, but I know that my skills aren't to that level yet. I'll test my gear & skills this year on a 3-day camping excursion.

The Highlands in winter? Sigh...

#240132 - 01/26/12 06:28 PM Re: Why do people pull these stupid stunts? [Re: GarlyDog]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Very sad. I feel sorry for the family and friends who tried to 'talk him off the ledge'. They clearly saw the danger. That would be a tough one to live with, wondering if there was more that they could have done to convince him to reconsider his plans.

Short of handcuffing him in his home, the family probably couldn't have prevented this tragedy.

To speculate as to why he tried the stunt? Not sure. But it is clear he underestimated the danger that nature presents.

Well said.

It's always tricky to speculate about underlying reasons for this sort of event. There is too much we don't know. Is it simple naivety about the level of difficulty and danger? Are there perhaps underlying psychological difficulties? Is it the deep disquiet with modern life that many of us feel -- and the need to test our mettle against something hard and absolute?

Regardless, it's a sad outcome.

#240137 - 01/26/12 08:53 PM Re: Why do people pull these stupid stunts? [Re: jshannon]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: jshannon
Excessively high balls/brains ratio.

I think it's a combination of idealism and a "I survived previous adventures, so I'll survive anything" mentality. Less so about "ballsy, but not to bright".

Is there a syndrome or other diagnostic for this type of behavior? When poking about as to what Chris McCandless was thinking, I found repeated references to a "Schizoid personalty".

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#240140 - 01/26/12 09:11 PM Re: Why do people pull these stupid stunts? [Re: Mark_R]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Is there a syndrome or other diagnostic for this type of behavior? When poking about as to what Chris McCandless was thinking, I found repeated references to a "Schizoid personalty".

Schizoid personality disorder (SPD) is "characterized by a lack of interest in social relationships, a tendency towards a solitary lifestyle, secretiveness, emotional coldness, and sometimes (sexual) apathy." I got that from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_personality_disorder .

There are certainly people who live by themselves in isolation without being grossly unprepared and accidentally doing themselves in. Someone with SPD would be more likely to not have told anyone what he was up to. The article didn't say as much, but I get the idea that he was excited about it.

It's hard to diagnose someone's mental condition from a news article, and I'm not a mental health professional. But it doesn't seem to me that he suffered SPD.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Yesterday at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.